Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Today's CDs (8/25-31)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Today's CDs (8/25-31)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today's CDs (8/25-31)

is this even worth it anymore?

twilight singers, she loves you
drive by truckers, the dirty south
radio 4, party crashers
interpol, radio EP
hope of the states, winter riot dust rackets
phoenix, alphabetical
the mendoza line, fortune
magnetic fields, i

qotd: what do you think of 2004? how has it been?; will it get better?; biggest disappointments so far?; biggest surprises so far?

so far, 2004 has been a slow year for me. i guess i came out of 2003 thinking all these veteran acts would live up to themselves. i thought that the new magnetic fields was the most disappointing thing of the year, but i listened to it again last night and i really liked it. so that leaves deerhoof, who somehow managed to fire a blank with milk man. biggest surprise is so britney spears' "toxic" which i STILL haven't managed to play out (lcd soundsystem's "yeah" 12" isn't surprising but also has tons of replay value; i like these two songs more than any album of the year). i think that the year could get a lot better, what with the beach boys, another devendra banhart, dizzee, blood bros, magma, interpol (maybe? one song on this EP gets me excited the other gets me horrified), and some others. etc etc
Old 08-25-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh yeah, and i'm excited about the junior boys finally coming stateside.

also there are some awesome re-issues this year (as stevevt pointed out in another thread): james brown, 2x olivia tremor control; 3x XTC; the concretes; junior boys (as mentioned above); dizzee; m83 (actually i might not like this).
Old 08-25-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Drive-By Truckers - The Dirty South
Talking Heads - The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads
V/A - Future Soundtrack for America
Old 97's - Drag It Up
Phish - Undermind
Jay-Z - MTV Unplugged
Helio Sequence - Love & Distance
Helio Sequence - Young Effectuals

AOTD: It's been a good year so far for me musically. I've been to a lot of concerts and have a lot more coming up. Most have been great (although watching Phish play for the final time was emotional and bittersweet). Album wise, my biggest surprise has been the Secret Machines album...it's just spectacular. I was also very glad to finally get a CD release of The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads...one of the best live albums ever. If I've been disappointed in anything, its been the new Old 97's disc. It's good, but it's a step down from the rest of their catalog (Fight Songs excluded).
Old 08-25-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh, the ready to die re-issue, how could i forget that?! and i keep meaning to pick up the name of this band is the talking heads, but i keep thinking that i should just save the money. maybe i'll just buy the box set and that the same day.

there really aren't any spectacular live shows i went to this year. i'm having a post-rock weekend in baltimore on oct 1-2 (explosions in the sky on fri, do make say think on sat-- i'm soooo excited for the latter). the end of 2003 was so good-- the rapture, le tigre, out hud, LIGHTNING BOLT, q and not u (they have a new cd coming out, as well!).

this has been a really good year for catching up on old stuff, and learning to appreciate other things even more. like the angels of light album. holy shit, i ignored this for all of 2003 (even though i owned it) and now i think it's one of the best things i've ever heard. same goes for XTC, philly soul, and do make say think's last album.
Old 08-25-04, 03:43 PM

Best new cd day in awhile...

Drive By Truckers - The Dirty South
Twilight Singers - She Loves You
Guided By Voices - Half Smiles of the Decompsed
Tift Merritt - Tambourine

wow the DBT album is sooooooo good!!!
Old 08-25-04, 05:48 PM

Yes, fallow, the thread is still worth it (I was getting ready to do it myself)...

Uncle Tupelo - 89/93: An Anthology
Rhett Miller - The Instigator
Neko Case - Blacklisted
Franz Ferdinand - s/t
The Connells - One Simple Word

AOTD: 2004 has started out pretty slowly for me... I've listened to a bunch of stuff, but other than best of 2003 stuff I only got around to at the beginning of 2004 (i.e., Shins' Chutes Too Narrow, MMJ's It Still Moves), not much of note. Nothing tremendous in 2004, though A Ghost Is Born and TMBG's The Spine are solid works.

So how's the DBT? I heard "The Day John Henry Died" recently and thought it was a great song. Decoration Day underwhelmed me (too high expectations, perhaps), but I'm willing to give 'em another shot.
Old 08-25-04, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've only listened to The Dirty South twice, but I'm loving it so far. Then again, I also loved Decoration Day.
Old 08-25-04, 07:58 PM

I still love reading these threads, so let's keep churning 'em out! I think it was Stevevt or Pikul who started these up back in 2001.

Recent Spins:
Twilight Singers - "She Loves You"
Guided By Voices - "Half Smiles of the Decomposed"
Elvis Costello - "Goodbye Cruel World" reissue (JUST the bonus disc)
Old 08-25-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
213 - The Hard Way

That's all you need!
Old 08-26-04, 11:13 AM

My mid-year favorite songs mix:

1. Big & Rich, "Real World"
2. Britney, "Toxic"
3. Justus Kohncke, "Timecode"
4. Chromeo, "Needy Girl"
5. Rachel Stevens, "Some Girls"
6. Cobra Killer, "High Is the Pine"
7. Loretta Lynn, "Portland, Oregon"
8. Dios, "Starting Five"
9. The Fall, "Janet Vs Johnny"
10. Cottonbelly, "By Your Side" (Sade)
11. Incubus, "Talk Shows on Mute"
12. Atreyu, "Right Side of the Bed"
13. Alicia Keys, "You Don't Know My Name (Reggae Mix)"
14. Nina Sky, "Move Your Body"
15. Montgomery Gentry, "I Got Drunk"
16. The Hold Steady, "Positive Jam"
17. Gretchen Wilson, "Redneck Woman"
18. Franz Ferdinand, "Take Me Out"
19. Electrelane, "On Parade"
20. JC Chasez, "Come to Me"
21. Brandy, "Talk About Our Love"
22. The Intelligence, "Come to Me"
Old 08-26-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new Butch Walker!
Old 08-27-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by mike1978
I still love reading these threads, so let's keep churning 'em out! I think it was Stevevt or Pikul who started these up back in 2001.
It seems like it was earlier than that. These threads pre-date Music Talk, don't they? I remember posting in them in one of my old jobs, which I left in 2000. Anyway...

Northern State - "All City"
G. Love - "The Hustle"
Robyn Hitchcock - "Globe of Frogs"
Jack Johnson - "Brushfire Fairytales"
Dido - "Life For Rent"
Kasey Chambers - "Barricades & Brickwalls"
XTC - "Skylarking"
Mary Prankster - "Tell Your Friends"
Beastie Boys - "New York State of Mind" (mixed by DJ Green Lantern)

QotD: So far, 2004 has been great for me simply because I finally got to see the Asylum Street Spankers live (and hung out with them after the show). They put on one of the best live shows that I've ever seen. Off the top of my head, I haven't really been let down by any particular release.
Old 08-27-04, 06:57 PM

Tin Hat Trio- Book of Silk
Sunn O)) - White 2
Boredoms- Chocolate Synthesiser
Fugazi- Repeater
Talking Heads- The Name of This Band...
Mouse on Mars- Autoditacker
Fennesz- Endless Summer

AotD- 2004 has been good for me, but I buy so much stuff from the past and present that the lines kind of blur. All I know is that each day brings something new to me, and whether it just came out last week or was recorded 40+ years ago doesn't matter. Although I will say that it seems like kind of a slow year for Indie rock; I haven't bought nearly as much of it as opposed to the past few years. Still, between the return of Mission of Burma, Fennesz's "Veince," The Fiery Furnaces "Blueberry Boat," Ghost's "Hypnotic Underworld," and a handful of other albums it's been a good enough year so far.

As far as dissapointments go, I don't have much to complain about. The only thing I can really think of is that I don't seem to like Animal Collective's "Sung Tongs" as much as "the press" and others seem to. It's a good album. I saw them live the other week, but it seems like the album's getting praised just because people are starting to really appreciate the BAND rather than the specific album. Well, I've only given it 2 listens, so maybe I'll like it a lot more later on.

A lot of times it takes me a few years just to get caught up with the present. I'm sure in 2006 I'll still be picking up things released this year that will blow me away. There's so many artist/genres/scenes that I want to dive a bit deeper into, and somewhat slower years are good for reaching back a bit and uncovering them.

Last edited by Poink; 08-27-04 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-28-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i picked up Twilight Singers - She Loves You on Tuesday, though i had to go to 4 stores to find a copy. too bad its not because people bought them. Im a HUGE Dulli fan but its a pretty mediocre CD. i rate it a 4 out of 10.

the only other CD i bought this year has been the new Modest Mouse which i give a 10 out of 10. and i didnt really like them before, but this CD was brilliant.

i will only buy 4 more releases this year, the new Social Distortion, Flogging Molly, Tom Waits and the new Double Nick Cave CD. 6 CDs to buy is the biggest year for me in over 10 years. i bought 3 last year. i just cant find anything worth listening to anymore.

i hadnt heard about another Devendra CD this year but i saw him last year (?) in concert and was blown away. i also saw there was a new Muffs CD out.
Old 08-28-04, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by DJLinus
It seems like it was earlier than that. These threads pre-date Music Talk, don't they? I remember posting in them in one of my old jobs, which I left in 2000. Anyway...
You could very well be right. I just seem to recall discovering and posting heavily in these threads after being laid off in late 2001.