Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

XM vs. Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I use XM, i'd definately never go back to regular old FM again. The cinemagic and decade stations are great, and i have two receivers, so i got a deal that its $7.99 a month for each instead of 9.99.

Sirius is also good, they seem to have more rap and rock stations (more heavier rock too).

The XM boombox is much better than the Sirius boombox, the XM one has a better sound and gets a bit louder than the Sirius can.

Both are great, but i got XM before i really listened to Sirius, so im sticking with them.
Old 08-18-04, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Sirius solely because my wife's vehicle came with the ability to use that service. We have been extremely happy with it.

I didn't take the option because I was concerned about committing for a long time given their subscriber base and cash flow, but they did have a lifetime subscription option that was about the cost of 4 years if I remember correctly. Also, who knows how long you will have a vehicle and if the next one will be equipped for that system. Now if I had a portable unit, that would be a different story.

They also have announced some exclusive sports stuff which is of interest to me, but not everyone.

I don't think you can go too wrong with either service. XM definitely has the more substantial subscriber base. But, both are better than regular radio. Much clearer, less talk (unless you want talk radio), etc. However, in some areas be prepared for signal issues. Lots of trees in my area, so except for winter there are occasionally losses of the signal. So despite clearer reception, there are reception issues in some locations.
Old 08-18-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh hell yes! Looks like I'll be upgrading

Linky

DELPHI AND XM INTRODUCE "SKYFi2" SATELLITE RADIO RECEIVER

All-new SKYFi2 includes first-ever pause and replay features

Washington D.C. , August 18, 2004 -- Delphi Corp. (NYSE: DPH), a pioneer of in-vehicle entertainment and electronics, and XM Satellite Radio (NASDAQ: XMSR), America's No. 1 satellite radio service, are introducing another breakthrough product, the new Delphi XM "SKYFi2" - the next generation SKYFi satellite radio receiver.

The Delphi XM SKYFi2 takes SKYFi, the best selling satellite radio receiver ever, and makes it even better by adding several new exciting features, including the first-ever "pause" and "replay" functions for satellite radio. Utilizing leading edge technology, the "30 Minute Replay" function continuously and automatically saves the last 30 minutes of programming - including programming from multiple XM channels. In addition, listeners can pause the program they are listening to with the option to playback that programming within 30 minutes. The unit also has a built-in wireless FM modulator, personalized stock ticker, personalized sports scores, a clock, TuneSelect by song and artist and much more.

The new vehicle kit is upgraded for wireless FM modulation through the antenna allowing users to easily self-install SKYFi2 in their vehicle. SKYFi2 also features a new, easier to read display and will work with all existing SKYFi accessories including the Delphi CD Audio System. Additional features include a large scroll wheel, convenient remote control, direct channel entry, the ability to preview and channel search by channel name, artists and song titles, and 30 channel presets. All of this combines to give users the most opportunity to experience more than 120 XM channels of revolutionary programming including news, sports, traffic, weather, and 68 commercial-free music channels.

"Our new Delphi XM SKYFi2 is the first satellite radio receiver to offer listeners the ability to pause and replay their favorite XM program," said Joe Damato, director of consumer electronics for Delphi Product & Service Solutions. "Everyone has experienced the frustration of an untimely telephone call or wished they could 'hear that song again' while enjoying their favorite program. SKYFi2 addresses these problems simply and elegantly - making it a 'must-have' product for dedicated XM listeners."

The Delphi XM SKYFi2 will be available at most major consumer electronics retailers this fall for $129.99 MSRP. Optional new home and vehicle adaptor kits are also available for $69.99 MSRP.

"We are excited about SKYFi2 because in addition to the pause and replay functions and the personalized stock quotes, XM listeners can customize and access for the first time scores for pro football, baseball, basketball, hockey, tennis, golf, NASCAR, and your favorite college sports while listening to XM," said Dan Murphy, senior vice president, product marketing and distribution, XM Satellite Radio. "These innovations round out the industry's most feature-rich plug and play model available."

Delphi satellite radios have received many industry recognitions, including Roady2, named "Editor's Choice" by PC Magazine in its recent five-star review, as well as the original SKYFi which was recognized by Consumer's Digest as a "Best Buy" - a rating awarded to fewer than three percent of the competing models in any given product category.

About Delphi
Delphi was the first company to integrate a radio into the dashboard in 1936, the first to bring satellite radio to the vehicle in 2001 and the first to bring a portable satellite radio boombox to the market in 2002. Delphi continues to expand its in-vehicle and consumer electronics technologies. Delphi has a broad portfolio of products to answer a wide variety of information and entertainment needs. For more information, visit http://www.delphi.com/media.

About XM Satellite Radio
XM is America's #1 satellite radio service with more than 2.1 million subscribers. Broadcasting live daily from studios in Washington, DC, New York City and Nashville, Tennessee at the Country Music Hall of Fame, XM's 2004 lineup includes more than 120 digital channels of choice from coast to coast: 68 one-hundred-percent commercial-free music channels, featuring hip hop to opera, classical to country, bluegrass to blues; 34 channels of premier sports, talk, comedy, children's and entertainment programming; and 21 channels of the most advanced traffic and weather information for major metropolitan areas nationwide. For more information about XM, visit www.xmradio.com.
Old 08-18-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool, satellite radio Tivo But they still need a walkman sized receiver. I assume size and/or the antenna must be the obstacle, otherwise they'd have something smaller than a boombox by now. That would be an iPod killer.
Old 08-18-04, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Roto
Cool, satellite radio Tivo But they still need a walkman sized receiver. I assume size and/or the antenna must be the obstacle, otherwise they'd have something smaller than a boombox by now. That would be an iPod killer.
One would think they could integrate something. The Roady2 antenna is pretty small. Just slap that bad boy to the back of something small and poof XM walkman...
Old 08-18-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Sirius is coming out with a palm sized receiver:
Old 08-18-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool, satellite radio Tivo
If I had a nickel for every time I've reached for the radio dial to rewind something, then realized it couldn't do what my Tivo does.

If I spent more time in the car, I'd definitely get this.
Old 08-18-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, rewinding is cool but I'm more excited about tune select by artist. I've discovered so many artists through XM and it would be much easier to be able to lock an artist into tune select if you've heard a few songs and want to hear more of their catalog. Can't wait until they build these features into a Roady sized unit.
Old 08-18-04, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Numanoid

If I spent more time in the car, I'd definitely get this.
I have the car and home kits and the boom box at work. Believe me, you find plenty of time to use it.

Over at the xmfan.com forums they are speculating that the new home kit will have USB so you can use it through your PC without needing yet another, albeit discounted, subscription (this was one thing I didn't care for with XM... Sirius gives it away via streaming).

I may look into upgrading that too, because this program looks excellent:

Time Trax

From that site:

"Using TimeTrax, you can now record directly from your XM PCR radio onto your PC's hard drive in WAV or MP3 format. Using TimeTrax's 10-event scheduler, you can time shift programming. Is there a concert being broadcast at 2:00 am that you really want to hear? No problem, use TimeTrax to record the concert and listen to it at your convenience! Your favorite talk show on during work hours? No problem, using TimeTrax, you can listen to it when you get home!"
Old 08-18-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by nevermind
Oh hell yes! Looks like I'll be upgrading
Nice! Looks like I'll be upgrading also, I've been wondering how long before Tivo technology wound up on radio. Now if I can just get a season pass for some of the concerts they air.

I don't know much about Sirius but I've been using XM for over a year now. Will never go back to regular radio. I even have the home dock so on weekends I just bring in my SkyFi and dock it to my receiver.
Old 08-18-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I currently have the SkiFi unit in my car, did I read that press release right, the SkiFi2 will basically work with all my accessories like the boombox and car kits? This is too good to be true
Old 08-18-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mittman
I currently have the SkiFi unit in my car, did I read that press release right, the SkiFi2 will basically work with all my accessories like the boombox and car kits? This is too good to be true
Yep

And a better display too.
Old 08-18-04, 09:34 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Definately upgrading to Version 2.0.
Old 08-18-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MonkeyG
Yep

And a better display too.
Another HUGE plus
Old 08-18-04, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by kantonburg
I've had the skifi boombox for about 8 months now. I love it. Just found out today that XM is carrying all the ACC and Pac-10 college games.....whoo hooo

Go Hoos!!!

XM welcomes College Sports to the XM lineup! Catch the best action, players, coaches and fans that college sports has to offer. XM will deliver college football games and men's and women's college basketball games from the ACC and PAC-10 to XM listeners, fans and alumni across the country later this summer.

The Atlantic Coast Conference
XM will deliver ACC football and men's and women's basketball games to fans and alumni coast to coast. The ACC includes top notch schools like Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, University of Maryland, Miami, University of North Carolina, NC State, University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Wake Forest.
PAC-10
XM will also host PAC-10 game coverage for football and men's and women's basketball. The PAC-10 includes USC, Washington State, Oregon, California, Oregon State, Washington, UCLA, Arizona State, Stanford, and Arizona.
That's a deal breaker for me.
Old 08-19-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got the XM Roady, and have been very happy with it. But I may just have to break down and get the SkyFi 2. That's a very impressive list of features, and the display got a much needed improvement.
Old 08-19-04, 10:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Spanky BananaPants
I've got the XM Roady, and have been very happy with it. But I may just have to break down and get the SkyFi 2. That's a very impressive list of features, and the display got a much needed improvement.
I really don't have anything to elaborate on what you just stated, but I have to say I love your screen name..
Old 08-19-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awww, thanks!
Old 08-19-04, 09:57 PM

the Sirius Sportster, which prompts you when your favorite sports teams are playing on Sirius. In addition, you can get up-to-the-minute scores on the radio’s readout. There’s also a jump button which gives you one-touch access to Sirius’ local traffic and weather stream for your area or let’s you immediately access your favorite music/news/talk station. MSRP for the Sportster is $99.99.

it’s shaped like a very thick cell phone. Inside are a headphone unit and volume controls, a wireless FM modulator, 18 presets and a 6-line screen display.

Like all the other small radios (from both companies) you can dock in to your car and home stereo or you can plug it into a boom box of sorts. But the Stream Jockey will also have an optional docking device with a built-in antenna, rechargeable battery and carrying case – making this little unit a self-contained satellite ‘Walkman’ of sorts. The Stream Jockey will sell for $99.99; no price has yet been set for the Communication Portable Dock.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5758617/
Old 08-19-04, 10:28 PM

Old 08-20-04, 04:10 PM
Cool New Member

I got an XM Roady about 2 and a half months ago, and I'll never go back to regular FM. I did a lot of research before I jumped in, and from what I read, XM is the way to go if you're interested in the music. Sirius has more sports programming, and their music channels have MUCH smaller playlists, so there's more repeats. Right after I got mine, my Dad heard it, and he got one too. I added his receiver to my account, and only pay $7.99/month.

You can't go wrong with either the Roady2 or SkyFi2. The Roady can be unplugged and put into any car you're in (I've put in into a bunch of friends cars, and sold them on it.) The SkyFi has to have a kit installed for each car or home setup (which costs extra) but it also has the boombox available.

Once you go XM, you won't know how you lived without it!
Old 08-20-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I picked up a Roady2 last night and like it. I have noticed for some reason the fm modulator sounds better than the direct input on my cd player. The Roady2 also has a deal for a free home kit by mail right now.
Old 08-21-04, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
I picked up a Roady2 last night and like it. I have noticed for some reason the fm modulator sounds better than the direct input on my cd player. The Roady2 also has a deal for a free home kit by mail right now.
YMMV on the modulator vs direct through the casettes adapter. I had the opposite effect of above...