Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Help me build a CD rack!

Old 08-16-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Help me build a CD rack!

I want to build my own CD rack -- the collection has overflowed the cheap pasteboard one I have now and I'd like to have a bigger one made of real wood as it's sturdier; finances dictate I can't spend a lot of money so I want to try and build a fairly simple one using wood from the lumber yard. Anyone have any advice or can direct me to plans online for such a thing? I haven't had any luck so far, I'm not a supreme woodworker but think I can build something that doesn't require a lot of finesse. Ideas?
Old 08-16-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to Home Depot(or Lowes) and picked up ten 60 x 5 1/2. This gives you 8 shelves and 2 boards for the sides. The boards are 3/4" thick - very sturdy. I bought some long wood screws. I drilled 2 holes every 7" along both boards for the sides. You need to also drill holes in the shelves to match the holes drilled in the side boards. The best way is to lay all the boards down into a large area and set the shelves where you want them. Then drill thru the side board and shelf board at the same time. After that screw 2 of the wood screws thru the side board and into the shelf board. Continue for the rest of the shelves. Just make sure the 2 holes you drill thru are straight so the our shelf is flat and not crooked. Also measure the spacing the same for the holes for the 2 side boards. That is side A holes should be spaced the same as side B holes.

Hope that helps. I think I found some screws laying around some where but the total came to something like $35 for the wood. Mine holds well over 500 CDs. I guess that might be an over kill for you but it's great to plan ahead. Hope that wasn;t too confusing....hard to explain without drawing it.

C_Fletch
Old 08-17-04, 10:15 AM

I am thinking of building my own shelves. I've got 3000+ CDs in various shelves around the house. Any recs on how to do this?
Old 08-18-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. 3000 CDs is about five times what I have.

Make the shelves 5 9/16 deep. That way the CD will hang over the edge of shelf by 1/16 of an inch and be easy to remove. Make the shelves 5 1/4 inches high. Figure about 28 CDs per foot. You need over 100 feet of shelving. Two 7 foot tall, 4 foot wide units should handle them all, but it will be close. For shelves that tall and narrow, make sure they're properly fastened to the wall.
Old 08-18-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yikes, I've only got about 650 and think I've got too many! 3000, crazy, man. Thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can get going...
Old 08-19-04, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the specs. I've got one wall that is about 20 feet long and about as high. I am thinking of a huge series of shelves for CDs & books that will measure about 18 feet long (maybe a little less, I haven't even gotten around to measuring yet) and 10 feet tall.

Originally posted by Nick Danger
Wow. 3000 CDs is about five times what I have.

Make the shelves 5 9/16 deep. That way the CD will hang over the edge of shelf by 1/16 of an inch and be easy to remove. Make the shelves 5 1/4 inches high. Figure about 28 CDs per foot. You need over 100 feet of shelving. Two 7 foot tall, 4 foot wide units should handle them all, but it will be close. For shelves that tall and narrow, make sure they're properly fastened to the wall.