DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Kansas bans Notorious BIG, Lou Reed, and Outkast due to explicit lyrical content. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/378885-kansas-bans-notorious-big-lou-reed-outkast-due-explicit-lyrical-content.html)

fallow 08-07-04 07:47 AM

Kansas bans Notorious BIG, Lou Reed, and Outkast due to explicit lyrical content.

How ridiculous.

Lokimok 08-07-04 11:34 AM

There's nothing more reliable than internet databases of lyrics. What happens to the cds?

I hope they catch on that these libraries are also harboring these things called "books." I hear some of them contain thoughts & ideas. It's all very indecent. Something must be done.

Josh-da-man 08-07-04 12:33 PM

I've lived in Kansas, so this doesn't come as a surprise at all.

Recall, this is the state where they tried to ban evolution. (And remember, if we outlaw evolution, only outlaws will evolve.)

It's interesting that the State's AG seems to have the power to decide what goes in libraries, and even more interesting that Kansas Library Association (which advocates for public libraries) doesn't have a problem with it.

And why do I find it amusing that they feel the need to protect the good citizens of Kansas from Lou Reed? I get this mental picture of children trying sneak copies of "Transformer" around.

Hollowgen 08-07-04 12:35 PM

Devo, huh? It's like the early 80's all over again. Well, I guess that's ok. Everyone knows they're nothing but political fascists anyway.

Nazgul 08-08-04 12:53 AM

First, let's get it straight. No CD's were banned. CNN even got it wrong

A KC radio station interviewed Klein on the radio friday afternoon as this story broke and after listening to him I think this may be a really big deal about nothing.

According to Klein (of whom I'm not a fan) said that the settlement as agreed to by himself and other AG's from various states, CD's with lyrics that promoted violence/hate etc. would not be included in the shipments, but the record companies did it anyway.

Klein made it very clear that if libraries wanted to offer any of the titles that were removed, they were free to purchase the CD's and make them available.

As for what they used as 'criteria', well that is where Klein's office gets a :rolleyes: from me.

However, on the other side, imagine the furor that would erupt if any of the CD's contained lyrics that promoted violence towards minority/gay/religous groups. There would be calls to have them removed post haste.

Also from CNN...

"Attorneys general in several other states also have screened their CDs, often removing controversial artists or albums including explicit lyrics. Indiana Attorney General Steve Carter removed 5,300 discs, or 5 percent of the 107,000 his state was scheduled to receive."

Hollowgen 08-08-04 02:26 AM

wow. go sensationalist, misleading media!

Josh-da-man 08-08-04 08:58 AM

Lou Reed promotes violence and hate?

Troy Stiffler 08-08-04 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Lou Reed promotes violence and hate?
Don't you talk about Lou Reed like that, or I CUT you!

Ginwen 08-09-04 10:39 AM

Why don't they just admit it's sex and profanity they're really worrying about with some of these.

Lou Reed, I've heard that a lot of stations won't play Take a Walk on the Wild Side anymore (but they pretty much all still play The Kinks: Lola).

Devo is kind of inscrutable, but I suppose it could be because of the song "Penetration in the Centrefold" or maybe Mongoloid, or just the fact they are generally pretty anti-establishment in general (but if they are going by anti-establishment, that would preclude almost all popular music).