DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Dream Theater: Live at Budokan DVD 10/5 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/378445-dream-theater-live-budokan-dvd-10-5-a.html)

dvduser6 08-04-04 04:41 PM

Dream Theater: Live at Budokan DVD 10/5

Here's the latest news:

Dream Theater's "LIVE AT BUDOKAN" will be released on October 5th 2004.
It will be available as both a 2 DVD set and a 3 CD set.

You can view the artwork at: http://www.dreamtheater.net/news_dreamtheater.php#lab

No details about DVD contents and extras, but I recall that the entire show was filmed so I expect both the DVD and CD to include the complete show.

corbin dallas 08-05-04 03:42 PM

I really enjoy the live CD's that DT has put out but how many do they need? Seems like we'll be getting one with every new album now. I would think a live DVD/CD would be better as an every other album or every third album project. Personally I'd love to see more unreleased stuff with good production as an interim to a new release. Just my $.02

dvduser6 08-05-04 04:05 PM

I understand where you're coming from. Between the Elektra live CDs and the other 'bootlegs' they're now making available via YstejamRecords, it almost seems like overkill. But at least we will get a killer setlist from the Japan show and I assume there will be some good extras. I'd really love to have some live material from their Six Degrees tour, too. As a DT fan, if they release it, I'll buy it.

Michael Corvin 08-05-04 06:58 PM

So what tour/ date was this show? This came out of the blue for me. I'm in the record more stuff than putting out live stuff. But hey, Pearl Jam puts out a couple dozen live discs a year don't they?

corbin dallas 08-05-04 07:30 PM

Budokan, Japan setlist (Filmed for DVD release)
Added on 04-26-2004

Budokan, Japan 4/26/04 (Filmed for DVD release)

band history video (intro tape)
As I Am
This Dying Soul
Beyond This Life
Hollow Years
War Inside My Head/
The Test That Stumped Them All
Endless Sacrifice
Instrumedley
Trial Of Tears
~~~intermission~~~
New Millennium
piano solo
Only A Matter Of Time
Goodnight Kiss/
Solitary Shell
Stream of Consciousness
Disappear
Pull Me Under
~~~encore~~~
In The Name Of God

Michael Corvin 08-05-04 09:50 PM

That is a pretty good setlist. Other than the Pull Me Under. That is out of left field with the rest of the songs. What is with the newfound love for Falling to infinity? Three songs off that album?

dvduser6 08-05-04 10:40 PM

At least most of the material doesn't repeat what we have on other DT live releases. FWIW, I really liked alot of tracks on Falling. I only wish they would've chose "Lines in the Sand".

corbin dallas 08-06-04 03:02 PM

Pull Me Under will probably be included in their setlist for as long as they are touring. According to Portnoy on the 5YIALT DVD that song is what really started making them popular(so to speak)

Rypro 525 10-01-04 05:09 PM

got a copy of it early and am impressed from just the first song i got to hear. full 5.1 sound, and anamorphic video. and there are no cheesy effects this time as well unlike the live scene's from a memory disc.

Snowmaker 10-01-04 09:12 PM

Dammit! I finally bought the Live in Tokyo/5YIALT DVDs today, and now I have another one to get??

Rypro 525 10-02-04 06:44 PM

also, here are the extra's on disc 2 (have yet to watch all)
30 min tour of tokyo documentary
seperate keyboard, drum, and guitar solos.
the intermedily (about 15 minutes long) in a multi angle feature.

Michael Corvin 10-03-04 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
got a copy of it early and am impressed from just the first song i got to hear. full 5.1 sound, and anamorphic video. and there are no cheesy effects this time as well unlike the live scene's from a memory disc.
I wasn't going to get it, but the 3 things you list are music to my ears.

1. 5.1
2. Anamorphic
3. no cheesy f/x

Monica Clinton 10-03-04 07:20 PM

Best Buy will be selling the DVD for $14.99.
I don't know what the 3CD set is going to sell for.

dvduser6 10-03-04 09:10 PM

Looks like Bestbuy.com has it listed at 9.99. Of course, after tax and shipping, it's pretty close to 14.99 in-store price.

Mordred 10-05-04 02:46 PM

Originally posted by Jippy
Looks like Bestbuy.com has it listed at 9.99. Of course, after tax and shipping, it's pretty close to 14.99 in-store price.
Or you could just do the in-store pickup to save on shipping. That's what I'll be doing.

dvduser6 10-05-04 03:31 PM

It's playing in the background as I write this. I'm glad they dropped the cheesy effects that plagued the SFAM DVD. This one is exceptional. VERY tight performance from the whole band (not that you'd expect anything less). And the aduio is stunning. I'm very impressed so far.

corbin dallas 10-05-04 06:04 PM

Still waiting for my copy to be delivered....drat, how I long for the good old days when pre orders showed up before release date.

Michael Corvin 10-06-04 01:08 PM

ordered it for pick up at BB. Can't beat $9.99, $10.60 for me after tax. :up: Thanks for the heads up.

Hannibal 10-06-04 03:11 PM

I understand there might be a glitch in the 5.1 starting through New Milllenium. Don't know when you will be able to exchange your discs yet. Also 5.1 is the default track, so if you're not set up for 5.1 it will sound lifeless. You need to manually change in the menu .(or your remote) The dual layer change is during Trial of Tears, they should've put it before the song. The video is stunning, very impressed. The documentary is great. My favorite would have to be the angle of MP during the Intrumedley multiangle feature. This impressed me more than the drum solo. He's not called "Iron Mike" for nothing. Quickly becoming a favorite alongside my Opeth and Rush dvds.

Snowmaker 10-08-04 07:55 AM

Originally posted by Mordred
Or you could just do the in-store pickup to save on shipping. That's what I'll be doing.
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one. Hopefully I get my emails before lunch so I can go pick it up. :(

corbin dallas 10-08-04 03:15 PM

As good as Dream Theater used to be in concert they are even better now that they have swtched to the ear monitors versus floor monitors. This was the best performance I have seen recorded live in some time.

Snowmaker 10-08-04 08:55 PM

Well, apparently there is a genuine defect with disk 1. I checked mine and its sure there:

http://www.dreamtheater.net/bb/showt...threadid=57445

Hannibal 10-08-04 10:13 PM

The 2.0 track isnt bad at all. In the meantime before there is an exhange try this:

For people with a 5.1 setup that still want to use all of your speakers, try the following. Using the 2.0 soundtrack, switch your receiver into Dolby Pro Logic II mode. This will create a 5.1 program out of the 2.0 stream. On my system and to me, this sounds better than the 5.1 track. If that doesn't suit your fancy, you can also try putting your receiver into an "All Speaker" or "All Channel" stereo mode. This will force the left channel sound into all of your 'left' speakers and the right channel sound into all of your 'right' speakers.

dvduser6 10-09-04 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Hannibal
The 2.0 track isnt bad at all. In the meantime before there is an exhange try this:

For people with a 5.1 setup that still want to use all of your speakers, try the following. Using the 2.0 soundtrack, switch your receiver into Dolby Pro Logic II mode. This will create a 5.1 program out of the 2.0 stream. On my system and to me, this sounds better than the 5.1 track. If that doesn't suit your fancy, you can also try putting your receiver into an "All Speaker" or "All Channel" stereo mode. This will force the left channel sound into all of your 'left' speakers and the right channel sound into all of your 'right' speakers.

Great tip. I'll give that a shot. I, too, have found the 2.0 track to be much stronger than the 5.1 overall. I found that kind of suprising.

Snowmaker 10-10-04 08:49 AM

Both tracks have the "POP" sound in the beginning of New Millenium. When that happens in the 5.1 track is when the channels get all screwy. You need to switch over to the 2.0 track at that point.

Snowmaker 10-19-04 05:13 PM

Has anyone heard anything about the "quiet recall" they are doing for these DVDs? I'd like to exchange my disk 1 ASAP.

Snowmaker 10-19-04 07:33 PM

In case anyone wants a replacement disc, this info comes from Portnoy himself:

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.asp?m=636943

OK here's the deal directly from Warner/Rhino:

People affected by the AC-3 glitch can email [email protected] and they'll send out a replacement disc within a few days. (Note: The new discs won't be available for a few more weeks)
Make sure to use the subject line "DT DVD Glitch".

Notes from MP:

1. The label is NOT posting this info all over the place in order to avoid a widespread panic...they're trying to keep the issue calm in order to make the replacement proceedure run smoothly.
If and when a new post from a person arises concerning this issue, please politely pass the information onto them on how to proceed.

2. This glitch is being fixed in advance for the European version (released next month), so the problem should only effect the US pressing.

3. Many people have complained of the audio mix, not realizing the audio default on the DVD is to the 5.1 mix.
**If you are not watching the DVD on a 5.1 system - select the 2.0 stereo mix before beginning the concert!!**

Enjoy!