Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

R.E.M. "Around the Sun" lp - October 5, 2004

Old 08-19-04, 01:37 PM

Yeah, its not bad. Its a little bland and "pop" for my taste. But I usually don't like the singles as much as the other songs on the albums. I'll be buying the cd regardless.
Old 08-22-04, 06:15 PM

The opening acts for this tour have been announced:

October 13--Los Angeles--Greek Theatre--Five Eight
October 14--Santa Barbara--Santa Barbara Bowl--Five Eight
October 15--San Francisco--Greek Amphitheatre--Five Eight
October 16--Irvine--Verizon Amphitheatre--Five Eight
October 19--Saint Louis--Fox Theatre--Now It's Overhead
October 20--Indianapolis--Murat Theatre--Now It's Overhead
October 22--Nashville--Ryman Auditorium--Trent Dabbs
October 23--Atlanta--Gwinnett Arena--Now It's Overhead
October 25--Chicago--Auditorium Theatre--Now It's Overhead
October 26--Chicago--Auditorium Theatre--Angela McCluskey
October 27--Akron--Thomas Performing Arts Hall--Now It's Overhead
October 29--Boston--Fleet Center--Angela McCluskey
October 30--Atlantic City--Borgata--Angela McCluskey
November 1--Washington DC--DAR Constitution Hall--Angela McCluskey
November 4--New York--Madison Square Garden--Angela McCluskey
November 5--Uncasville, CT--Mohegan Sun Arena--Joseph Arthur
November 7--Pittsburgh--Palumbo Center--Joseph Arthur
November 9--London (Ont)--Labatt Center--Joseph Arthur
November 10--Toronto--Hummingbird Center--Joseph Arthur
November 11--Ottawa--Ottawa Civic Centre--Joseph Arthur
November 12--Montreal--Bell Centre--Joseph Arthur
November 14--Thunder Bay--Fort Williams Gardens--Charlie Mars

I'm going to the atlanta show where Now It's Overhead will be opening, has anyone heard of this band? I've never heard of any of these opening acts.
Old 08-22-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MurraySiskind
The opening acts for this tour have been announced:

October 13--Los Angeles--Greek Theatre--Five Eight
October 14--Santa Barbara--Santa Barbara Bowl--Five Eight
October 15--San Francisco--Greek Amphitheatre--Five Eight
October 16--Irvine--Verizon Amphitheatre--Five Eight
October 19--Saint Louis--Fox Theatre--Now It's Overhead
October 20--Indianapolis--Murat Theatre--Now It's Overhead
October 22--Nashville--Ryman Auditorium--Trent Dabbs
October 23--Atlanta--Gwinnett Arena--Now It's Overhead
October 25--Chicago--Auditorium Theatre--Now It's Overhead
October 26--Chicago--Auditorium Theatre--Angela McCluskey
October 27--Akron--Thomas Performing Arts Hall--Now It's Overhead
October 29--Boston--Fleet Center--Angela McCluskey
October 30--Atlantic City--Borgata--Angela McCluskey
November 1--Washington DC--DAR Constitution Hall--Angela McCluskey
November 4--New York--Madison Square Garden--Angela McCluskey
November 5--Uncasville, CT--Mohegan Sun Arena--Joseph Arthur
November 7--Pittsburgh--Palumbo Center--Joseph Arthur
November 9--London (Ont)--Labatt Center--Joseph Arthur
November 10--Toronto--Hummingbird Center--Joseph Arthur
November 11--Ottawa--Ottawa Civic Centre--Joseph Arthur
November 12--Montreal--Bell Centre--Joseph Arthur
November 14--Thunder Bay--Fort Williams Gardens--Charlie Mars

I'm going to the atlanta show where Now It's Overhead will be opening, has anyone heard of this band? I've never heard of any of these opening acts.
more and more, bands seem to be passing on playing in phoenix. i wonder what we've done to piss off the music world.
Old 08-23-04, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tracklisting:
1. 'Leaving New York'
2. 'Electron Blue'
3. 'The Outsiders'
4. 'Make It All OK'
5. 'Final Straw'
6. 'I Wanted To Be Wrong'
7. 'Wanderlust'
8. 'Boy In The Well'
9. 'Aftermath'
10. 'High Speed Train'
11. 'The Worst Joke Over'
12. 'The Ascent Of Man'
13. 'Around The Sun'
Old 09-05-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have been listening to the new single via the warner music link on remhq -- it seems to me to be more in the style of up and reveal. maybe they have just turned a musical corner, but i was hoping for more "new" stuff similar to bad day (outtake from LRP i believe) and all the right friends (early 80s live show material).

regardless, i have followed them for at least 18 years and seen them live many times. this album and tour will be no different irrespective of their political stance (i probably will not seek recordings of the shows on this tour except for the show i attend).

kms
Old 09-06-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

--Question for longtime fans of R.E.M.

How long do they usually play for? Are we talking about a 2-hour show? Hopefully not less than that....

Of course that would be previous tours so who knows what they'll do this time around....

THANKS
Old 09-06-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a quick review of the boots i have from the tour in support of up shows that each show went on 2cds (typically 24 - 28 songs per show) averaging around 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

monster tour shows were about the same length. green/document tour a little shorter. earliest shows around 60 minutes.
Old 09-06-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
--Question for longtime fans of R.E.M.

How long do they usually play for? Are we talking about a 2-hour show? Hopefully not less than that....

Of course that would be previous tours so who knows what they'll do this time around....

THANKS
the latest dvd (was recorded in 2003), is about 115 minutes. i guess it would be a bit longer for the new tour because of the new album.
Old 09-12-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just heard that 'The Outsiders' features Q-tip!?!

Has anyone heard this yet?

I'm getting nervous.
Old 09-13-04, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kms_md
a quick review of the boots i have from the tour in support of up shows that each show went on 2cds (typically 24 - 28 songs per show) averaging around 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

monster tour shows were about the same length. green/document tour a little shorter. earliest shows around 60 minutes.
I've only seen them live on the Monster tour, but the DVD from their most recent tour seemed longer than what I remembered.

But there was nothing wrong with the solid 90 minutes they gave us back then.

I don't see them having longer shows because of new material, that usually means certain songs don't get played from other albums, but REM didn't like to (or just refused) to play a lot of their older stuff for a lot of years. They gave the "we've grown out of playing that stuff" kind of crazy answers. How do you grow out of playing Driver 8 or Begin the Begin?

But, if they continue to play a few more of their older tracks each show than they used to, it would seem to me that their shows would be closer to the 2 hour mark of their more recent tour than the 90 minutes back during Monster.
Old 09-13-04, 01:34 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Originally posted by dolphinboy
but REM didn't like to (or just refused) to play a lot of their older stuff for a lot of years. They gave the "we've grown out of playing that stuff" kind of crazy answers. How do you grow out of playing Driver 8 or Begin the Begin?
I saw them in Germany in 1999 in support of UP, Wilco and Suede opened for them (a dream concert of mine!)...I would say they played 90-100 minutes from a boot of the concert I have. And they did play several 'old' songs like 'Driver 8' which Michael Stipe said was a request of Wilco....
Old 09-13-04, 01:36 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Originally posted by jay77
I just heard that 'The Outsiders' features Q-tip!?!

Has anyone heard this yet?

I'm getting nervous.
Haven't heard, but wouldn't be incomprehensible with KRS-ONE adding lyrics way back when. And honest, we could have worse. Anyone who likes some rap and REM too, would really much respect Q-Tip...as opposed to 99% other "MC's" out there....when REM is joined by Jay-Z or Nelly, let's then shudder and turn in our future graves.
Old 09-13-04, 01:44 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Rypro 525
the latest dvd (was recorded in 2003), is about 115 minutes. i guess it would be a bit longer for the new tour because of the new album.
I wouldn't overestimate, DVDs based on concerts are just that...it's not like all concerts are recorded and one is featured on DVD. It's well known in advance when a concert is being recorded for official release on video/DVD...to put on a 'bonus' show is not out of the question in that circumstance. If you're lucky enough to be at that show, all the more to you...although I wouldn't expect a 120-minute show from any of my favorite bands...regardless of what I paid or anything else...90 minutes is a great show...Anything near or close to 60 minutes, that's when perhaps you have a right to start bitching.
Old 09-14-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jarsim
Haven't heard, but wouldn't be incomprehensible with KRS-ONE adding lyrics way back when. And honest, we could have worse. Anyone who likes some rap and REM too, would really much respect Q-Tip...as opposed to 99% other "MC's" out there....when REM is joined by Jay-Z or Nelly, let's then shudder and turn in our future graves.
I have no problem with Q-tip (or with KRS-1 for that matter). They are both talented, well respected artists.

But as we saw with Radio Song (feat. KRS-1) from Out of Time, rap and R.E.M. dont always mix well.

But true, it could be worse.
Old 09-15-04, 01:54 PM

I saw them last september and they played around 2 hours. It was a great show, filled with lots of older songs.

I'm curious about the Q-Tip song. I can't wait to hear how that turned out.
Old 09-21-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Multiplatinum alternative rockers R.E.M (news - web sites). have partnered with MySpace.com to preview their new album beginning today. This represents the first such initiative involving a social networking portal.

For the next two weeks, visitors to MySpace will be able to play tracks from R.E.M.'s upcoming Warner Bros. release "Around the Sun" for free. The preview also will offer links to tour dates, an iTunes clips sampler, photos and mobile ring tones and wallpapers on a dedicated site (which is one of Warner Bros.' Ringtown series of sites powered by m-Qube).

"R.E.M. is one of those legendary bands that create an eventlike atmosphere on our site," MySpace CEO Chris DeWolfe said. "This is a unique chance to get millions of people talking, simultaneously, about the new album."

MySpace.com has about 4 million registered users, but there is no need to register in order to listen to the album. Registered users, however, have the additional capability of adding the R.E.M. profile link to their personal list and passing the link to other users. DeWolfe said that besides the sheer numbers, placement on MySpace benefited from the "exponential" effect of users spreading the word to each other.

DeWolfe declined to detail the underlying business arrangement. "Our site is supported by advertising," he said. "But there will be times that a music company will pay for advertising, and there are times when we will do business development deals."

Scheduled for release Oct. 5, "Around the Sun" is R.E.M.'s 13th album and features the single "Leaving New York." The band begins an extensive fall tour Oct. 13 in Los Angeles, hitting about 30 North American cities. The band also will participate in the upcoming Vote for Change tour starting Oct. 1, joining such participants as Bruce Springsteen (news) and the E Street Band, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band and James Taylor (news).

"We expect many more deals like this in the future," DeWolfe said. "It's a new way for indie and major labels to get their music out to the masses, and we believe it will work out well for the labels, MySpace and for music fans."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 09-21-04, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I listened to it on Myspace and I am underwhelmed. I loved Reveal but didn't care too much for Up. This one sounds kind of like Up, but not as good.
Old 09-22-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cdollaz
I listened to it on Myspace and I am underwhelmed. I loved Reveal but didn't care too much for Up. This one sounds kind of like Up, but not as good.
I agree, underwhelmed. I can't believe they really miss Bill Berry THIS much.
Old 09-23-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is bland, lifeless synth pop from what used to be the best band in the world. About the only thing that sounds alive is the remaining passion in Micael Stipe's voice. I can't imagine these songs will go over well live. Oh well, another great band down the drain.
Old 09-24-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so, I'm not the only one that thinks after berry retired, the band dynamic went with it? a great string of records---automatic, monster, new adventures---and then......blah blah blah. they have definetly lost their way.
Old 09-24-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew they were lost when Pete Buck said he no longer cared about playing guitar and Stipe started making the band sound like Aphex Twins or Radiohead. The original band had a dynamic and appeal that was defined by it's adventurousness. That appeal is gone. Try picturing Phil Collins on Leaving New York. It's not a stretch.

I never thought I'd skip a REM CD and tour but this is the one.
Old 09-24-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is looking bad.

R.E.M. are (were) my all-time favorite band. I have only heard the single but hearing everybody talk is getting me down.
Old 09-24-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yawn.
Old 09-26-04, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it really suprising that musicians lean liberal?
Old 09-26-04, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by lostatmidnight
so, I'm not the only one that thinks after berry retired, the band dynamic went with it? a great string of records---automatic, monster, new adventures---and then......blah blah blah. they have definetly lost their way.
I think the streak really ended after Life's Rich Pageant but, yes, things have gotten worse since Berry left.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.