DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   What constitutes nu-metal? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/378252-what-constitutes-nu-metal.html)

harpo787 08-03-04 04:19 PM

What constitutes nu-metal?

I ask it like that rather than "What is nu-metal" in an ATTEMPT (won't make a difference) to avoid the response of "crap."

Seriously, what classifies a band as "nu-metal." What is "nu-metal"? Is it just a clever spelling for new metal?

I ask because I was over at Amazon checking out reviews for music for Nonpoint's previous releases (new one came out today: "Recoil"), and people were classifying them as nu-metal. I didn't think they were...but I thought to myself what I consider to be nu-metal. I've somehow managed to general definte it as heavier music that's got a decent amount of rap vocals to it including bands such as Linkin Park and limpbizkit. I've heard Korn as the "originators" of nu-metal...I'm not sure if I believe that. I've seen some recently lump deftones and Tool as nu-metal, which I can't even BEGIN to fathom to be accurate.

Since I think this might get a bit out of control about people just saying "it's the worst music ever made...if it sounds bad, it must be nu-metal"....I'll ask for some other clarifications.

What's considered "heavy metal" (is it just a general genre under which other subgenres are listed), what's considered "hardcore", what's considered emo-core?

If you can, please list bands you consider to be these various genres of music.

Rypro 525 08-03-04 05:31 PM

alright, i'll try (i might be the big nu metal fan on these boards)
mostly nu metal consits of metal mixed in with rapping
hardcore is usually constered where the bands have dreadlocks, mostly contain screaming as singing, and have a double bass drum
emo-core is actually like the punk-pop that plays at the vans warped tour.

Jason 08-03-04 06:19 PM

Nu-metal is played mostly in minor keys, has no flashy guitar work (almost no solos at all) and the subject matter is soap opera drivel, er, sorry, more personal and relationship driven. Nu-metal songs deal with all the problems upper-middle-class white kids have. Although there is supposed to be a rap connection, I've always found it to be pretty vague.

Heavy metal, as the name implies, deals with loud guitar music. Pounding riffs are at the forefront, along with lots of flashy guitar work. The solo is the measure of a heavy metal guitar player's (and indeed the entire band's) worth. Hevy metal singers usually have high pitched voices, allowing them to scream like banshees. Subject matter varies greatly, but the most popular topics include sex (not love, but lust), fantasy, war, and heavy metal itself. A surprising number of heavy metal songs are based on books, from WWII novels such as "Where Eagles Dare" to Tolkien. Blind Guardian do an entire album, "Nightfall in Middle Earth" based on Tolkien's Simarillion. Pretty much every sub-genre of metal (black metal, doom metal, symphonic, speed) meets at least one of these criteria.

Hardcore is heavy metal music with a punk/street attitude. The musicianship is a higher level than punk, but many of the same themes are explored. Hardcore music is often associated with skateboarders and others who try to appear as being on the fringes of society. I know absolutely nothing about emo-core, and won't even try to address that part.

[editorializing on]

Personally, I think nu-metal is about as intersting as all the other pre-fabricated major label garbage released in the second half of the 1990's, and will be delighted when the members of Lincoln Park (name intentionally spelled as it should be) are working at some Fish Taco stand on Ventura Boulevard. Death to False Metal!!

[editorializing off]

Son-volt 08-03-04 07:02 PM

Re: What constitutes nu-metal?

Originally posted by harpo787
I've heard Korn as the "originators" of nu-metal...I'm not sure if I believe that.
I aways figured nu-metal was born when Anthrax covered Public Enemy's Bring the Noise. Never has something so great spawned something so aweful.

Well, aside from the Star Wars prequels.

Hiro11 08-04-04 12:51 PM

Here's my question: System of a Down= nu-metal?

cdollaz 08-04-04 01:42 PM

Re: Re: What constitutes nu-metal?

Originally posted by Son-volt
I aways figured nu-metal was born when Anthrax covered Public Enemy's Bring the Noise. Never has something so great spawned something so aweful.

No that was just metal. Anthrax is a metal band.

In Nu-Metal, there is usually some type of vocal effects or synth effects that give the music an almost techno-y sound.

Real metal is just guitar, bass, drum, and vocals with maybe some keybooard other instument thrown in.

Nu-Metal tends to rely heavily on synth or something else other than pure bass and drums for it's rhythm.

MJKTool 08-04-04 02:20 PM

I think limp bizquit are the godfathers of nu-metal personally.

Josh H 08-04-04 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Hiro11
Here's my question: System of a Down= nu-metal?
I'd say no, as there's no rapping and a decent bit of signing mixed in with the screaming.

I'd just classify them as metal or hard rock.

Josh-da-man 08-04-04 07:26 PM

If there's some dipshit ****ing around with a turntable, it's nu-metal.

harpo787 08-04-04 10:00 PM

Ok...so I'm trying to find some sort of common ground. Here are some of our suggestions so far:

1. Contains rap vocals.
2. Played mostly in minor keys (this was more "technical" then I anticipated!).
3. Contains virtually no guitar solos.
4. Lyrics tend to be self-absorbed (relationships, personal problems...possibly as specific as being "middle-class"-related).
5. Some type of vocal effect utilized.
6. Relies on something more than drums and bass guitar for it's rhythm section.
7. Some dipshit with a turntable is involved.

Anything else to add? Anything that needs to be removed thus far?

Osiris 08-05-04 12:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: What constitutes nu-metal?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdollaz
[B]No that was just metal. Anthrax is a metal band.

C'mon, Anthrax is Thrash Metal

Rypro 525 08-05-04 12:11 AM

then korn isn't nu metal since there are no turntables that i am awear of.

turborobb 08-05-04 04:46 AM

this is how I see "nu-metal"

- mixing rap with metal
- no or little guitar solos
- cookie monster vocals mixed with some grunge style singing at times.
- guys with stupid baseball caps and dreads and dressed all hip hop looking.

give me Dokken, Priest or WASP anyday.

custom001 08-05-04 07:07 AM

The ugly child of Crossover. ;)