Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is U2 working on a new album?

Old 07-23-04, 05:26 AM
Banned

Is U2 working on a new album?

It is almost 4 years since their last album in October 2000.

Are they in the studio?
Old 07-23-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

U2 Songs
Old 07-23-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think they are...from what I remember they said that some of tracks were stolen out of the studio or something like that.
Old 07-23-04, 09:51 AM

It was a demo version of their upcoming album(that got stolen) i think.
Old 07-23-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The album, currently titled "Vertigo," is due this fall, probably November.
Old 07-23-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Woohoo! I can't wait for this album! It sucks that an unfinished version got stolen though. Some people are *******s. Actually U2 is pretty cool about their music, I remember on the last album they released 30 second versions of a couple songs, but WAY before they were ready.
Old 07-23-04, 11:44 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

The Edge does like the internet. Very internet friendly band.

Of course they could be moreso.

Comments from the edge

Edge has spoken of his astonishment that a CD containing some songs from the bandís new album has gone missing after a photo session.

Speaking to U2.Com, Edge said, 'A large slice of two years work lifted via a piece of round plastic. It doesn't seem credible but that's what's just happened to us...and it was my CD.'

The CD went missing during a photo-shoot in the south of France. The band recently completed much of the recording of the highly anticipated new album in Dublin and have been involved in post-production work in France.

It will be the first new studio album from U2 since All That You Canít Leave Behind nearly four years ago.

French police have already launched a major investigation.

'The recording of this album has been going so well.' added Paul McGuinness of Principle Management. 'The band is so excited about its release. It would be a shame if unfinished work fell into the wrong hands.'

'This matter is of great concern to us.' said Lucian Grainge, Chairman and CEO of Universal Music Group UK. 'As the missing CD is our property, we're very keen find it as soon as possible and the French Police are being extremely helpful in this regard.'

More news as we get it.
Old 07-23-04, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as the possibility that the songs will show up on the Internet, I don't think it would hurt sales at all.

I compare U2 to what happened to Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." Fans will download songs as soon as they can get them, but they're happy to then go out and buy the CD. Internet piracy didn't seem to hurt sales of "All That You Can't Leave Behind."
Old 07-23-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The band (or at least Bono) has stated that if the songs show up online they will likely release the album immeadiately through itunes and have the hard copies in stores within a month. They would be very disappointed if this happened though.