Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beulah breaking up...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Beulah breaking up...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Beulah breaking up...

From Pitchfork...

Beulah to Disband for Real
Just kidding. No, we're not.

Joshua Sharp reports:

Following their New York concert on August 5th, indie pop legends and Elephant 6 remnants Beulah will be closing the curtains on a decade-long career that's made them one of indie rock's best-loved bands. Wait. Does this sound familiar? If so, it's because they treated your pals at Pitchfork to one of the most ambiguous break-up announcements ever in January of 2003.

Initially, guitarist Bill Swan had reported the following quote, regarding their then-forthcoming album Yoko, on their website: "This record (our fourth and final) should come out next fall barring something unforeseen. As usual, we will tour to support it (there will be more than one round of touring). Then, not as usual, we are going to call it a day, go home to our wives, girlfriends and kids, get real jobs and become adults."

But on the day following our report, their website retracted the statement in a cryptic and possibly ironic fashion: "We just read an online article that said we're gonna be breaking up after the release of our next record. This news made all of us so sad that we've decided to stay together until each of us dies." What?

I guess the bottom line is that no one was really sure what Beulah were going to do. But now, the breakup appears to be for real-- at least, judging from a statement released to Billboard. In many ways, this news seems a long time coming, particularly given vocalist Miles Kurosky's quotes to Rolling Stone last year regarding the status of the band: "What I write about is not so much mortality, but the mortality of being in a band: How long can this last? Here I am in an indie rock band that's done quite well and done a lot of things we never thought we would. We've played festivals, we've been on Conan O'Brien... but at the end of the day I wonder what I've done. All I got is some crow's feet. What's the ****ing prize?"

The group has three more dates on their itinerary, with one happening tomorrow night at Denver's Bluebird Theater. On the 26th, they'll hit the Fillmore in San Francisco, before finally working their way around to the aforementioned final gig, to be held at the Castle Clinton National Monument in New York's Battery Park, with free admission.

As previously reported, the band has recorded a copious amount of material for an upcoming DVD documentary titled A Good Band Is Easy to Kill. The disc is expected to see release in the fall, though rumors that the film will expose their tawdry Fleetwood Mac-style inter-band relationships are as yet unconfirmed. In fact, the rumors themselves might be completely fictitious; it's just hard to say with these guys. Last leg:

06-15 Denver, CO - Bluebird Theater
06-26 San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
08-05 New York, NY - Castle Clinton National Monument (final show)
A bummer. I really dig Beulah...wish I'd had the opportunity to catch 'em live.
Old 06-14-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It really is a pity. Somebody played The Coast is Never Clear at a party two nights ago and it made me remember just how much I still like them.
Old 06-14-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn. I just got into their music a couple of months ago and Yoko has had steady play in my CD changer and iPod ever since.

Great stuff.

Another great band bites the dust.
Old 06-15-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

YOKO is a great album. The only thing by Beulah that I own, but terrific nonetheless.

Old 06-15-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I haven't heard anything by them, but I was at one of their concerts a few nights ago. I'd driven from Milwaukee to Chicago to see the opening band, the Stratford 4, and decided not to stick around for Beulah since it was already midnight. There was a pretty good turnout, though. Now I can pinpoint that night as the night I officially turned into an old man.
Old 06-15-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So sad - Beulah is SUCH a great band.
Old 06-18-04, 07:46 PM

I'm uber sad to see Beulah call it quits. I was afraid this was coming so made sure to check out their show in NYC a few weeks back. It was so good, I've never been disappointed by any of their shows. <sigh> another one bites the dust.....
Old 07-22-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the amazing demos of Beulah's final album "Yoko" are available in a sequenced album called "Demo" at select indie record stores as well as select tour dates.

I have it and it comes in a sleeve in black-n-white with hearts on the cover with "Demo" as the title.

I bought mine at Vintage Vinyl (it's a cd) in St. Louis.

You can order off of their website with a Google would quickly come up with.

the back of the disc has the websites:

velocetterecords.com and beulahmania.com

nice little souvenir from a terrific band
Old 07-28-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh I'm crushed!!! I was sick and couldn't attend the concert -and now to find out they're breaking up just bites. One of my favorite bands - they will be missed.