DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New Prodigy Cd? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/375851-new-prodigy-cd.html)

89981 07-20-04 09:52 PM

New Prodigy Cd?

My friend said theres a new prodigy cd coming out in august has anyone heard anything about it? its prodigy the techno group not the rapper.

DJLinus 07-20-04 10:05 PM

I imagine your friend's right, since their US site and UK site both have the same countdown clock that ends in August.

The last that I've heard of them was the single from last year, I think it was. Liam's been promising an album, though.

jarsim 07-20-04 11:20 PM

I've listened to it in its entirety : "Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned" . . . it's okay, definitely not worth a 7? year wait since "The Fat of the Land". It reminds me a lot of the latest releases from Basement Jaxx. There's also an annoying sample of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" on one of the songs. Can't imagine why they chose that one.... and they can't be outdone by the Chemical Brother's "Setting Sun" with a collaboration with Oasis on the track "Shoot Down". (Yawn!) Another song "Phoenix" features the lyrics from "Love Buzz" a Shocking Blue cover made famous by Nirvana from Bleach. And who can forget that the actress, yes actress, Juliette Lewis sings vocals on a track. Yes, this is all very Hollywood-ized.

I haven't seen any news of any release in the US yet, although it's definitely coming out at the end of August in the UK.

Brain Stew 07-21-04 06:30 AM

I think the new album is awesome. Every track other than Medusa's Path is a keeper. The Juliette Lewis tracks work surprisingly well, as does the Twista track. I enjoy the Thriller sample.

Frank TJ Mackey 07-21-04 08:52 PM

I've really enjoyed listening to it.

Spitfire, the opener, is really contagious, and the Twista track "Get Up" is hot as well.

I'll be buying.

areacode212 07-23-04 09:36 AM

I'm listening to it right now...I really like "Girls" (who are the Ping Pong Bitches?) . Was The Fat of the Land really their last album? I haven't kept up with Prodigy, so I just assumed that they had released one or two albums since then.

DJLinus 07-23-04 09:52 AM

Well, since their last album they did put out an expanded edition of Experience and a mix CD - The Dirtchamber Sessions Vol. 1. The mix CD is great. I especially like how Liam mixed in some old school gun-glorifying Beastie Boys, since they were a very vocal opponent of "Smack My Bitch Up." My only complaint is that this CD is sequenced in "parts" rather than individual songs (a la the Chemical Brothers' Brothers Gonna Work It Out mix CD).

harpo787 07-24-04 12:17 AM

I had no idea that they had an album in the works (or damn near done by now I suppose). I thought they just sorta fell off the face of the earth.

I find Juliette Lewis appearing on the album to be a plus. I've enjoyed pretty much anything I've heard her sing on/in, including her performance(s?) in Strange Days.

Incidentally, she's got a new band that's on the Warped tour (or part of it) I believe...but the band is called Juliette Lewis & The Licks. I've not heard anything yet, but seen some photos of a performance...it LOOKS to be rock n roll....I'm anxiously awaiting it.

Naturally born......born bad.

DJLinus 09-14-04 01:53 PM

Picked this up today, but have only listened to the first track. So far, I like it a lot.

Best Buy's got it for $12 this week.

whynotsmile 09-14-04 02:26 PM

that michael jackson one...fucking rocks

Obey The D 09-14-04 05:12 PM

Originally posted by whynotsmile
that michael jackson one...fucking rocks
The Way It Is....Great tune :up:

Debaser 09-15-04 09:11 PM

It kicks fucking ass.

CKMorpheus 10-09-04 10:37 PM

Just picked it up, Spitfire is awesome. The Way It Is is incredible. Get Up Get Off, also great.

I'm glad The Prodigy is back, I missed em! =-D

jaeufraser 10-10-04 12:24 AM

Love hearing some new Prodigy. I've only listened to a little, but it's good so far.

I found this site reading through the amazon.com website. If it's not kosher to post it, mods go ahead and read through it but I can't tell if this is a legit thing, but this is a page of remixes of all the songs on the new album, free to download. Interesting stuff.

<i><small><font color=green>direct bootleg link removed </i>[Benedict]</small></font>

benedict 10-10-04 05:38 AM

I've removed the direct link because at the moment there is too much of a question mark over the legality of what the "re-mixers" have done [1].<small>

Originally posted by jaeufraser
I found this site reading through the amazon.com website. If it's not kosher to post it, mods go ahead and read through it but I can't tell if this is a legit thing [....]
</small>My strong preference would be that the poster does the research before posting anything that looks as if might circumvent the DVDTAlk board rules....

.... the first page of that site says<b> "This online album features unofficial remixes and mash-ups by some of the UK's best bootleggers"</b> which does not bode well.

There is something else out there [2] which reads <b>".... we at Selecta Radio like to suspect this is a great disguised donation plea from one Britains (still) most respected music acts by doing their bit for charity without it affecting their image!"</b>

[1] Anyone so minded can easily find the site now they know it is there.
[2] http://www.selectaradio.com/04site/html/news.htm

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk

Hiro11 10-26-08 11:49 AM

I (finally) bought this album today after resisting it. It's catchy, heavy and interesting. "Phoenix", "Get Up, Get Off", "Girls" and "Spitfire" are all fantastic. I have no idea why it got such mixed reviews... I'd say it's just as good as any other of their albums, and that's pretty damned good.

I think this album, along with Daft Punk's "Human After All" are ripe for reappraisal.

mndtrp 10-29-08 07:25 PM

I only liked about half of the songs, and it's the least listened to out of the rest of their discs.