DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Ma$e is back (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/375076-ma%24e-back.html)

josuff247 07-16-04 09:55 AM

Ma$e is back

OK, so maybe I am 100 years behind everyone,
but I just found out that Mase is making a comeback.

Do you think he will be embrased like he was in the late 90's?

Watched the video on Launch and he seems to
be back to his old self idolizing self.

I'd give his CD a shot. I thought he was one of the better
MCs out there.

Brain Stew 07-16-04 10:06 AM

I like the new video, no more shiny suits!I also like the song because it uses a great sample.

Will I buy the album? Hell no.

Tony Dvdfan 07-16-04 03:07 PM

I was all about his first album, but i'm not getting into his new song....maybe my tastes have changed, who knows. I dont expect to buy it though.

DVDHO 07-16-04 10:18 PM

Your thread should have read

Ma$e is wack

Ergyu 07-16-04 10:51 PM

Yeah, Ma$e is quite possibly one of the worst rappers in the world.

kurupt 07-17-04 04:56 PM

The timing is suspect. If you remember, Mase and Jay-Z had a war of words suspiciously very close to Mase's "I need to follow God" retirement. Now that Jay-Z has announced his retirement (of which we all know is only a vacation), Mase decides that the rap game needs him? Hmmmm.... Not a lot of people know about what went down between them, but here's how it went...On some R&B singer's remix (I can't recall the exact song), Mase took a subliminal shot at Jay-Z, making fun of his predaliction toward platinum (His line started something like, "All you say is platinum this, platinum that...") Jay-Z responded with a pretty crushing summation of Mase's career on the song Ride or Die from the Hard Knock Life album ("I abuse weak, wack rappers, severely punish 'em, especially those that get f---ed for their publishing" referring to the fact that Puffy owned the publishing on the Mase album, and "Look at your own videos, you'll always be number 2, I probably made more money off your album than you." referring to Puff all up in the Mase videos and his own guest appearance on Mase's first album). Shortly thereafter, Mase retired to "follow the Lord". On "Never Let You Down" on Kanye's album Jay-Z subliminally alluded to the beef in his second verse, "...Dissing Jay'll get you Mased, when I start spittin' these lyrics, n----s get very religious, six hail marys please father forgive us..."

Abranut 07-17-04 05:02 PM

Originally posted by kurupt
The timing is suspect. If you remember, Mase and Jay-Z had a war of words suspiciously very close to Mase's "I need to follow God" retirement. Now that Jay-Z has announced his retirement (of which we all know is only a vacation), Mase decides that the rap game needs him? Hmmmm.... Not a lot of people know about what went down between them, but here's how it went...On some R&B singer's remix (I can't recall the exact song), Mase took a subliminal shot at Jay-Z, making fun of his predaliction toward platinum (His line started something like, "All you say is platinum this, platinum that...") Jay-Z responded with a pretty crushing summation of Mase's career on the song Ride or Die from the Hard Knock Life album ("I abuse weak, wack rappers, severely punish 'em, especially those that get f---ed for their publishing" referring to the fact that Puffy owned the publishing on the Mase album, and "Look at your own videos, you'll always be number 2, I probably made more money off your album than you." referring to Puff all up in the Mase videos and his own guest appearance on Mase's first album). Shortly thereafter, Mase retired to "follow the Lord". On "Never Let You Down" on Kanye's album Jay-Z subliminally alluded to the beef in his second verse, "...Dissing Jay'll get you Mased, when I start spittin' these lyrics, n----s get very religious, six hail marys please father forgive us..."
I never knew there was beef there. Good lookin' out. :)

theneobez 07-17-04 08:28 PM

I never liked him, it seemed like he always tried to rap while barely opening his mouth.

dancinns 07-18-04 12:36 AM

Hmm, I guess I'm the only one that loved his Harlem World album.

I'll definately give his album a whirl when it comes out.

beefjerky 07-18-04 12:37 AM

I did not know about that beef between Jay and Mase. I was wondering why Mase gave up the preacher life.

SnoopDogg 07-18-04 03:05 AM

Originally posted by dancinns
Hmm, I guess I'm the only one that loved his Harlem World album.

I'll definately give his album a whirl when it comes out.

Don't worry you aren't the only one.

kurupt 07-18-04 07:26 AM

I wouldn't say that I loved it, but I definitely gave it a lot of spins when it came out. Mase isn't the most skilled rapper, but the production on the cd was very good. Now, his second album, Double Up, was unlistenable. I've heard about 4 songs off this new one and they tread familiar water for Mase. One has a sample of old the Madonna song, La Isla Bonita with Mase singing an interpolation on the hook. From what I heard, the album will have that '97 feel to it. I'm not sure if I'll pick it up, but I'm sure it will sell very well. I guess Nas said it best in a radio interview when he said "What does that say about the state of hip hop when everyone's awaiting Mase's return?"

DeanoBKN 07-18-04 06:19 PM

I thought Harlem World was a pretty good album. I'm kinda skeptical about him returning though. Looks like P. Diddy will try anything to get Bad Boy Records to the top again.

Thanks for the info on the Jay-Z/Mase beef kurupt.

Tarantino 07-18-04 07:19 PM

I guess God just didn't pay enough.

Joe1086 08-18-04 11:45 AM

I just saw on Ticketmaster.com that he has an upcoming concert...with the new message that he's trying to project, I doubt that he'll do the songs from his past albums, which if anyone has heard the new album, does not pose for a good show.

josuff247 08-30-04 08:28 AM

SO did anyone pick this up?
I Don't listen to radio much so I don't know
if he has been "welcomed back" warmly,
but the CD was pretty good.
Not as good as previos CDs, but
for a rapper known for dirty raps,
he still does OK for a cleaner act.

PJsig08 08-30-04 10:54 AM

I downloaded it, and it's alright. Catchy songs, but I only buy the best of the best these days. I'm sure I'll throw away that CD-R in several months :D