Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

any Mosh Pit people here at club concerts?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-14-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you all go to a small club show, do you all get as rough and violent as possible, or do you all stand in the back and just watch the concert. I went to see papa roach last night. I made the mistake of being towards dead center close to the front. eveybody starts jumping up and down and being crazy. you know that little thing a few do where everyone clears space towards the middle of the floor, and just push each other around, well a chick wanted me in there during the second bands set, but i tried telling that i'm a ****in *****, and all. during hte very end of papa roach's set, they got me in there, and i slipped and fell, but thankfully the people there knwo to pick you up if you fall.

so are any of you crazy mother ****ers who do this, or do you sit at the side.
Old 07-14-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,676 Likes on 1,846 Posts
I used to, back in the 80s and early 90s.

Which is before every a-hole jock and frat boy picked up on the thing and killed it off. It was good fun while it lasted.
Old 07-14-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man

Which is before every a-hole jock and frat boy picked up on the thing and killed it off. It was good fun while it lasted.
Exact same answer. I used to start them at clubs when no bands were playing too.
Old 07-14-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
No, I'm an adult now.
Old 07-14-04, 01:59 PM

Old 07-14-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm usually too busy slow dancing....with my eyes close.
Old 07-14-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. Don't want to spill my beer.
Old 07-14-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It really depends on who I'm seeing. If it's a band that I'm really into, yes...I'll be in the pit. Usually I end up getting squashed up to the front of the stage, but I do my fair share of pushing and throwing elbows. A girl's gotta look out for herself!

Last pit I was in was for the Punks vs. Psychos tour at the HOB. It was a pretty intense one, but again, I was pushed up to the front when the music started. Prior to that, I saw Pennywise at the HOB and I completely steered clear of that pit, and they're one of my favorite bands to see live. It was out of control.
Old 07-14-04, 11:35 PM

Not anymore. I mean I love checking out the band up-close and all, but having 90% of the sweat on your shirt not being yours by the end of the night just killed it for me.

Now I just kick it in the back or watch from the sidelines.
Old 07-15-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not as much as i used to. Now i'm usually hanging out behind the pit, or if its the Electric Factory, at the upstairs bar.
Old 07-15-04, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Not as much here, either. Wouldn't want to spill my beer.

Sometimes if it's a band I've like for a long time, I'll jump into the fray. For example, a few weeks ago Agent Orange was playing a club nearby, I jumped into the pit (of course, there were only about 10 guys in it) for old times sake. When I was younger, I'd get crazy at shows ... jumping off speakers type of crazy.

I love a good circle pit, but I stay out of the the mashed packs where there's a lot of crowd surfing going on.
Old 07-15-04, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Dude, what were you doing at a Papa Roach concert?

I like to stand in the back usually and just enjoy the intesity of the music and crowd without being part of the pit. I'm usually that guy that stands around the circle and watches.
Old 07-15-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I never got into the whole mosh pit thing....even back in the late 70s/early 80s when I saw Black Flag, The Circle Jerks, X, etc....always stood on the side.

There were a bunch of dildos actually doing this at a Blur show I went to in the early 1990s.
Old 07-15-04, 08:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I purposefully got into the middle of the most pit for a Rancid show at the Black Cat a few years back
Old 07-15-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depending on what kind of shows you go to there is still plenty of fun to be had in pits without getting hurt (at least not intentionally). Punk shows (we're talking REAL punk here folks not NFG and Good Carlotte) usually lack the kind of machismo antics of which you speak and everyone is just there to have a good time. I've benn getting in pits since I was 13 and never been intentionally hurt by anyone. And when there is one ******* TRYING to hurt smaller people the rest of the crowd will usually take care of it. Hehe talk about a beat down
Old 07-15-04, 12:09 PM

I almost had an asthma attack in the pit at a No Doubt concert, where my little brother had to get me out by basically tackling everyone in my way as I was trying to get out.

...so the answer is no.
Old 07-15-04, 12:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
a Soul Aslyum show at Hammerjacks a number years back was kind of scary in that the whole crowd was so close together, when it surged back and forth, it fell like everyone was going to fall over.
Old 07-15-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you start a "mosh pit" at a small club here, you get thrown out. Immediately.

What is it with "moshing" anyway? It's cool to run around in a circle, punch someone, then away?
Old 07-15-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
Not as much as i used to. Now i'm usually hanging out behind the pit, or if its the Electric Factory, at the upstairs bar.
The Electric Factory is awesome! I saw ZWAN there in 2003 and the place was packed! Still, everyone wanted to see the show SOOO much that no one moshed. At least no one I can remember...
Old 07-15-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Brain Stew
The Electric Factory is awesome! I saw ZWAN there in 2003 and the place was packed! Still, everyone wanted to see the show SOOO much that no one moshed. At least no one I can remember...
The Electric Factory is by far my favorite place to see a show in Philly! Its cool b/c if you want to be up close but away from the pit there is plenty of room on the side, with a great view.

Plus, alot of the band members tend to come out through that way.
Old 07-15-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope...not for many years....grew up/got old
Old 07-15-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not anymore. With the money you pay to see shows nowadays, I actually prefer watching the band from afar as opposed to being up close and having to worry the whole time about some jack-ass slaming against me. Not to mention the fact that kids will mosh at any show these days. No Doubt?? I'd like to see these people survive for 5 minutes at a Slayer show 10 years ago.
Old 07-15-04, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Giles
a Soul Aslyum show at Hammerjacks a number years back was kind of scary in that the whole crowd was so close together, when it surged back and forth, it fell like everyone was going to fall over.
I remember that show. The place was fine when the Goo Goo Dolls were playing. Once Soul Asylum came on, it got tight.
Old 07-15-04, 04:35 PM

When possible in small clubs I always go for the balcony, you've got a great view of the band, and no people in front of you.
Though if I have to stand in the crowd I don't mosh, I don't want to or like to, I don't however take every extreme to avoid them, just go with the flow so to speak.

I've seen some really rough pits, and been in some without moshing myself. Think of Deicide, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Exodus, etc.
Old 07-15-04, 05:20 PM

I used to be into it, but as the previous posters mentioned, the pit got taken over by shirtless dudes built like football players. It didn't seem to be about the fun of pit for them, just lashing out at smaller people.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.