DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The Roots - "The Tipping Point" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/374607-roots-tipping-point.html)

DJLinus 07-13-04 04:25 PM

The Roots - "The Tipping Point"

Just got The Tipping Point by the Roots. I've only listened to two tracks in their entirety ("Star/Pointro" and "Web") and WOW! I'm quite impressed. Definitely can't wait to give this album a full listen.

Anyone pick this up today? Your thoughts?

Gdrlv 07-13-04 06:44 PM

I bought it at lunch and listened to the first 4 songs. Big :up: so far.

Ghostface180 07-13-04 08:06 PM

I listened to the entire album this afternoon. Excellent album. Makes me very excited to see them live in two weeks.

RMSpuhler 07-13-04 10:42 PM

Haven't been to the store, but the entire album is playing on VH1 Soul.

First thing tomorrow, it will be mine.

RS

tofu 07-13-04 11:06 PM

It 's good. Bought it at Target today. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not quite as dynamic as Phrenology but I thought that album was amazing. It'd be pretty hard to top that.

Aghama 07-14-04 04:22 PM

Much worse than Phrenology, which I actually really liked about half of. I really miss the old Roots.

Rivero 07-14-04 06:13 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
Much worse than Phrenology, which I actually really liked about half of.
You can't make a statement like that without backing it up. Reasons you feel this way?

JNielsen 07-14-04 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
Much worse than Phrenology, which I actually really liked about half of. I really miss the old Roots.
I agree a little. Good release, but doesn't even aproach the level of Illadelph or Do You Want More. This CD lacks everything that made The Roots special. But like I said, still better than 80% of what is released today, but this just doesn't have the "Roots Feel". Black Thought does show on this that he is one of the top 10 emcees in the game. I give it 3 1/2 out of 5.

kurupt 07-14-04 09:13 PM

I wasn't really a fan of Phrenology. Not that it was bad...very listenable...just a little overrated by critics tired of the "bling bling" trend in hip hop. I've always liked the theory of the Roots better than their actual output (Things Fall Apart was amazing and outside of Prince, they've put on the best live show that I've seen), but I love this album. Lyrically, Black Thought steps it up with amazing consistency (highlighted by his BDK/G Rap impressions...wow) and the tracks really flow very well. From their "old" sound (The Web) to a new, Scott Storch provided accessable sound (Duck Down, Don't Say Nuthin') they really outdid themselves on this...On an unrelated not, I've always looked at ?uestlove as hiphop's Kevin Smith (very fan-friendly - he is always posting on okayplayer, isn't shy about his opinions on his contemporaries, "indie" fanbase, yet still buddies with stars like Jigga). Not really important, just an observation...I'd give the album a 4 out of 5 (maybe a 4.5 if it holds up over time)

asianxcore 07-14-04 09:59 PM

so if I liked 'Things Fall Apart' and the masterpiece that is 'Phrenology', would I like this CD?

Frank TJ Mackey 07-15-04 01:25 AM

I think it's great, just solid hiphop with no BS.

I loved Illadelph and Things Fall Apart, but cannot stand Do You Want More.

This particular album isn't as innovative as Phrenology, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but it's a good effort nonetheless.

I'd like to hear more of the female MC (Jean Grae) who is on "The Mic" which is hidden after the last song.

boston george 07-15-04 10:55 AM

The Roots have a new CD out? Don't know how this one slipped by me. I loved Phrenology and will definetly pick this one up on the way to work tonight.

kurupt 07-15-04 11:29 AM

I'd like to hear more of the female MC (Jean Grae) who is on "The Mic" which is hidden after the last song.
A few months ago she wrote a couple scathing essays on some website about the state of hip hop and the music industry in general. The last I heard, she was just about to give up completely. Hopefully, she's changed her mind because she is impressive.

DJLinus 07-15-04 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey

I've liked her since back in her Natural Resource days. I wish that they would've put out a full album rather than a few 12"s.

Definitely pick up her Attack of the Attacking Things CD - it's great. Her Bootleg of the Bootleg EP is nice, too - and much longer than an EP, given the 45 minute bonus track.

Gdrlv 07-15-04 12:39 PM

Jean Grae used to be known as What What. She's got a few amazing rhymes on the Herbaliser's Blow Your Headphones.

DJLinus 07-15-04 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Gdrlv
Jean Grae used to be known as What What. She's got a few amazing rhymes on the Herbaliser's Blow Your Headphones.
Her two tracks on the Herbaliser's Very Mercenary ("Mission Improbable" and "Let It Go") are great, too.

Frank TJ Mackey 07-15-04 01:04 PM

here is the album cover for those who haven't seen it

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

zerotl 07-15-04 04:31 PM

The album seems like a grower, takes a couple of listen to appreciate, not a lot of standout tracks, but everything seems to fit.

I went to see them yesterday @ City Hall Park Downtown (NYC) but the rain was ridiculous, so I left, I bet they rocked the soaked up fans though. Saw em last year @ the Liquid Mix tour and they were awesome, they did old stuff and a hiphop medley that got fans riled up. The best live act in HipHop!

Aghama 07-22-04 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Rivero
You can't make a statement like that without backing it up. Reasons you feel this way?
The beats. I accept the fact that The Roots aren't The Roots anymore, and we're never going to have another Organix or Illadelph, but I only like 1 or 2 beats on this album. I'll give it a couple more chances, but it's not looking good.