Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

2004 Concerts

Old 07-13-04, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Concerts

What concerts have you guys been to this year? What did you think about the performances? Would you see the band/singer again if you had the chance?

Ive seen:
Incubus
Dashboard Confessional
Sting
Black Eyed Peas (free concert in NYC)

Next week, Im gonna go see Evanescence/Seether.
Old 07-13-04, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I've seen RUSH on their anniversary tour and that's it. $99 friggin ticket But they were awesome as usual and they played 3 plus hours. I'm hoping to catch them one more time before they leave So Cal.

Frankly I'm done with concert going for the rest of the year unless BJORK or one or two of my favorite METAL bands come to town.

Oh, yeah I did see Bowie this year.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-13-04 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-13-04, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Evanescence
Dido

Next up are the Corrs in late August (Second row seats!)
Old 07-13-04, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by coladar
Evanescence
Dido

Next up are the Corrs in late August (Second row seats!)
How was the Evanescence concert?
Old 07-13-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The band/instrumentals were excellent. They performed all the songs off of Fallen except for Hello, and quite a few others including Away From Me, Breathe No More and a cover of Fourth of July.

Amy Lee put on quite an energetic performance... But her vocals suffered quite a bit because of all the running around on stage she did. It seemed like she was out of breath 90% of the time during the "up-beat" songs, so in that aspect, it wasn't amazing. The difference between her vocal quality during the up-beat songs and the slower songs, where she was playing piano, was quite noticeable. Aside from that, it was a good show.

Regarding the playlist, when I saw them Evanescence was on stage for about 85% of the concert. They just had some small, horrid opening band. With Seether and two other bands, I'd reckon the chances are high that they aren't going to be on stage for nearly as long as when I saw them. That they performed for somewhere between 90 minutes and two hours made the show go from above average to excellent, especially considering they ended up playing some of my favorite non-Fallen songs.

You're still in for a great performance though, but it will probably be pretty abbreviated with Seether, Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin all having to go before Evanescence. Musically, they definitely put on an above average live show.
Old 07-13-04, 09:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
sheesh, the last concert I attended was the Starsailor show in January. I blame tix prices and being tired all the time (late night performances suck - I believe I'm in the minority to state that I'd go to more shows if they started at say 9pm or earlier)

Coming up:

They Might Be Giants/Fountains of Wayne (Live on Penn series)

Last edited by Giles; 07-13-04 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-13-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw Linkin Park in January. They performed with Story of the Year and POD.Best concert Ive ever been too. Between LP's performance to the amped crowd it was perfect. If you even remotely like LP I strongly advise seeing them live as they put on a great show. Going to see them again in 2 weeks with Korn,Snoop, the Used, and Ghostface Killah.

How was the Incubus concert? i had tix to Friday's show but couldnt make it. What did they play?
Old 07-13-04, 10:51 AM

I've seen...

The Darkness
Rush
Dave Matthews Band (twice)
Ben Folds/Rufus Wainwright/Guster
Phish (twice)

and tonight I'm seeing Counting Crows.

Darkness was amazing. Everybody needs to see them before they get too big.

Rush was a good show. I'm not a huge fan but I'm glad I saw them.

DMB was awesome as usual and played a bunch of new songs that were great.

The Ben Folds show was good. I was 2nd row which was fun. Guster was kind of weak. One of their singers can't sing well live. Their percussonist is amazing though. Wainwright was amazing and has a great voice but is too political. Ben Folds was great. He played "Brick" which is rare.

Phish was good. They aren't the end-all that phans say they are but they put on a good show. They jammed pretty well. Trey sounded bored the first night. Second night during the encore, the band left the keyboard player onstage to finish the song "Squirming Coil". This is common since it ends with a solo. The thing is they never came back out. No bow. No "thank you". No "goodbye" since this is their last tour. Nothing. I thought that was really selfish. I don't know though.

Counting Crows should be good. I'll post a review later.
Old 07-13-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kid Rock - 2nd row, not a fan really but my best friend is so I went with him. Puts on a great show and the strippers in cages were nice to look at

Prince - 6th row, first time I have ever seen him live in person and it was the best show I have ever seen. I'm biased towards Pearl Jam shows since I am a huge PJ fan, but I can't deny the brilliance of Prince.

Fleetwood Mac - 9th row, very good show (and for $231 for two tickets it very well should have been a good show!) although Stevie Nicks was dragging a bit. She had been under the weather all week and it didn't help that it was still 90 degrees at showtime, but she wasn't 100%. Lindsay Buckingham on the other hand was amazing. He is truly an underrated guitarist and a very energetic performer.
Old 07-13-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not too much this year:

Dream Theater (evening with show so it was about 3 hours)
KMFDM (always a great live act)
Lacuna Coil (unplugged in-store performance)
Melissa Auf Der Maur (in-store performance)
Old 07-13-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
So far:

David Bowie - great
Sonic Youth - great
Rush - Ho-hum. It's the 5th straight tour I have seen them and it really doesn't do much for me anymore.

Coming up:

TMBG
Pixies
David Byrne (hopefully)
Old 07-13-04, 12:03 PM
Retired

Missed:

The Distillers (went on wrong night)
Dashboard Confessional (forgot and made other plans, didn't want to see them anyway was just going with a friend)

Upcoming:

DMB- tomorrow
Linkin Park, Korn, The Used, Snooop Dog
Live
Incubus
Old 07-13-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by blinkin_winkin
Phish was good. They aren't the end-all that phans say they are but they put on a good show. They jammed pretty well. Trey sounded bored the first night. Second night during the encore, the band left the keyboard player onstage to finish the song "Squirming Coil". This is common since it ends with a solo. The thing is they never came back out. No bow. No "thank you". No "goodbye" since this is their last tour. Nothing. I thought that was really selfish. I don't know though.
This is how Phish has done Squirming Coil for years. It's actually one of my favorite ways for them to end a show. Not sure why you felt it was selfish. Also, while Phish isn't always exceptionally chatty, I've heard them give some of the most heartfelt thanks to fans of any band ("It's been an honor and privilege to play for you"). Whenever the band (rightfully) thinks of the fanbase as a community, it's not necessary to gush about how wonderful the fans are at every show.

Anyway, I've seen:

Phish (3x)
moe.
Prince
Dave Chappelle (not music, but still a concert)
Cracker/Cowboy Mouth
Grandaddy/Saves the Day/The Fire Theft
Jennifer Hartswick Band
Del the Funky Homosapien
The Roots/311
Counting Crows/Glen Phillips
Local H
Taj Mahal and the Hula Blues Band
Fountains of Wayne
Umphrey's McGee
Addison Groove Project
12 Volt Sex
A whole bunch of local bands and probably a few shows that are slipping my mind...

Don't have time to review each, but here's my quick rundown...

The Great: Phish (4/16 and 4/17), Prince, Chappelle, Del, Cracker, Grandaddy, The Roots, Umphrey's McGee

The Good: Phish (4/15), moe. (I'm quickly losing interest in this band), The Fire Theft, Jennifer Hartswick Band, Counting Crows, Glen Phillips, Local H, Taj Mahal, Fountains of Wayne, Addison Groove

The Bad and the Bland: Saves the Day, Cowboy Mouth, 311 (the award for worst concert I've seen thus far this year), 12 Volt Sex

Upcoming:
Phish (2x) (Coventry, VT)
String Cheese Incident (2x) (The Joint, Las Vegas)
The Austin City Limits Music Festival
Modest Mouse (Stubb's BBQ, Austin)
Galactic (House of Blues, Las Vegas)
David Byrne (House of Blues, Las Vegas)
Guster/OAR/Howie Day (House of Blues, Las Vegas)
Van Halen (MGM Grand Garden Arena (Las Vegas)
Gin Blossoms (The Cannery, Las Vegas)
Norah Jones (The Joint, Las Vegas)

Last edited by Gdrlv; 07-13-04 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-13-04, 01:36 PM

Been kind of a slow year for me so far.

Been to:
A Perfect Circle
Auf der Maur

Upcoming:
The Cure, Interpol and Mogwai!
Old 07-13-04, 01:44 PM
Banned

Oh man, off the top of my head...

Kid Rock
Phish (x3)
moe.(x2)
Umphrey's McGee
DMB
Cake

Upcoming:

Phish
moe.
Old 07-13-04, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Saw A Perfect Circle twice. Thats it so far.
Old 07-13-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This year I haven't seen nearly as many as I normally do.

Primus
A Perfect Circle/Mars Volta
Built to Spill
Fantomas
Neil Young
Sex with Girls is rad
DJ Shadow/Quannum
Old 07-13-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nothing-- Zip -- Zero -- A Perfect Circle and Godsmack came around when I was on vacation but that was it. I will go see Rush on Aug 7th but that is all for my concert agenda unless Garbage comes around later this year.
Old 07-13-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I went to see Aimee Mann last month, it's only my second show I've ever been too. She was awesome.
Old 07-13-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

None. No one has come here that I would pay to see.
Old 07-13-04, 11:19 PM

So far: The Strokes, which was a great show.

Fountains of Wayne- not as good as when I saw them last July with Ben Lee.

Death Cab for Cutie - good show.

I missed the Shins, and it was supposedly a great show. I want to go to see Rooney this weekend, and the Hives are coming early next month, and I'd like to check them out as well.
Old 07-13-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw Van Halen last weekend in Detroit, excellent show, funny thing is i'm more of a fan of the sammy era music but i was kinda wishing dave was there, especially when they played the dave era songs...
Old 07-14-04, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bowie a couple times, the roots, death cab a few times, mike doughty
Old 07-14-04, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by gmal2003
How was the Incubus concert? i had tix to Friday's show but couldnt make it. What did they play?
Incubus was the first concert I had ever been to, and they did not dissappoint. They played a couple of their newer songs, but mostly stuck to their old hits. Im not really a big fan of their new CD, so I was relieved. Their old stuff is great. They sound exactly like they do on their records. Everyone in the stands was completely immersed in the show, which made it 10 times greater. They gave an awesome show, and I would suggest that anyone who likes them should definately go see them.
Old 07-14-04, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Prolly in the minority here, but I'm taking the year off from concerts. I think they have become overly priced and the need to want to "see" a band isn't there for me anymore. Hell, I've even given up trying to score comp tix to any concerts.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.