Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

AllMusicGuide freak anyone else out today?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

AllMusicGuide freak anyone else out today?

Old 08-09-04, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underwhelmed is the perfect word for the redesign. I used to love this site -- could get lost in it for hours. Any time there was an artist I hadn't heard about or wanted to know the "genealogy" of a group or genre or wanted to know about a new album I would go there. Not any more. The new site is way too cumbersome to navigate and is difficult to use. I actually search for artists' official and fan sites now and avoid AMG completely. It's a shame really.
Old 08-10-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by postpunk
Underwhelmed is the perfect word for the redesign. I used to love this site -- could get lost in it for hours. Any time there was an artist I hadn't heard about or wanted to know the "genealogy" of a group or genre or wanted to know about a new album I would go there. Not any more. The new site is way too cumbersome to navigate and is difficult to use. I actually search for artists' official and fan sites now and avoid AMG completely. It's a shame really.
Agreed. I first found out about this site only a few weeks before the redesign and I loved it! I would just search the genres and subgenres and find new artists. Heck, the site doesn't even work with the version of IE I have at work.
Old 08-10-04, 12:38 PM
DAC

What is this allmusicguide.com? What is it for?
Old 08-10-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 912 Likes on 589 Posts
You could always go there and look for yourself.

Think the IMDb of music.
Old 08-10-04, 10:58 PM

Oh, joy I you have to register in order to view the billboard charts for each artists!
Old 08-10-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's still free... wouldn't you have to pay to see that info from billboard itself?
Old 08-10-04, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by Hollowgen
[B]it's still free...
I guess I'm lazy because I've already been registering to everything else.

wouldn't you have to pay to see that info from billboard itself?
Yeah, you do. Just remembered. If I see the Billboard 200. And I see only the first 100..I have to pay to see the rest of the 100.
Old 08-12-04, 02:27 PM
DAC

Originally posted by Adam Tyner
You could always go there and look for yourself.

Think the IMDb of music.
I knew I was going to get this type of response when I asked my question and should have not been so lazy at the time. I did go there, but couldn't really tell. Everything I went to look at it said I had to sign up and I don't want to sign up just to find out what it's all about. I figured since there were many of you here who already signed up and were upset with the new site that perhaps someone would be able to decribe what it is this site is about.
Old 10-22-04, 02:27 AM

Not a fan.

Bottom line: I cannot find stuff as easily and quickly as before.

What else should a new layout do other than improve these things?
Old 10-22-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I now go to Amazon first to get the info I need on a CD. Allmusic is just too slow for me.
Old 10-22-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I completely agree: they've slowed Allmusic down to the point of unusibility. Also, the site design is needlessly cluttered and complicated. Everything is buried behind multiple tabs or hyperlinks, probably in an effort to generate more ad impressions. For example, all of the reviews are defaulted to compressed, why? Of course I want to "read more", why would I have opened a review if I didn't want to read the whole thing?.

But why complain? It's still the best and most comprehensive music review site on the web and they've managed to keep all of their fantastic content free. I just wich we could go back to the old site.
Old 10-22-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The default "overview" tabs for album reviews and artist descriptions are damn_annoying.