DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads expanded edition coming (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/373791-name-band-talking-heads-expanded-edition-coming.html)

cdollaz 07-08-04 11:38 AM

Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads expanded edition coming

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RHINO OFFERS HEADS ON PLATTERS

THE NAME OF THIS BAND IS TALKING HEADS
And BEST OF TALKING HEADS Available August 17

LOS ANGELES - Rhino Records is pleased to offer two kinds of overviews of
the career of one of the best-loved bands of the 1980s with the release of
THE NAME OF THIS BAND IS TALKING HEADS and THE BEST OF TALKING HEADS on August 17. Both packages, assembled with the members' full involvement, are firsts for the band--THE NAME OF THIS BAND IS TALKING HEADS has never been available on CD before and THE BEST OF TALKING HEADS is the first single-disc collection of the band's most popular songs.

THE NAME OF THIS BAND IS TALKING HEADS offers an unusual take on the concert album--rather than a "souvenir of a single night's show," it captures the band's live evolution from 1977 to 1981. Originally released in 1982 as a double album, fans have waited nearly two decades for the CD release of THE NAME OF THIS BAND IS TALKING HEADS. This two-disc version doubles the original's contents by offering 13 previously unreleased tracks and a trio of rarities from a 1979 promotional only disc ("The Girls Want To Be With The Girls," an early version of "Drugs" called "Electricity," and "Found A Job"). In its expanded version, THE NAME OF THIS BAND provides a comprehensive portrait of Talking Heads as a live band, since it now includes a substantial number of songs from each of the band's first four studio albums.

David Byrne, Chris Frantz, and Tina Weymouth formed Talking Heads (note: no
"The") after meeting at Rhode Island School Of Design in the early 1970s.
Jerry Harrison, formerly of The Modern Lovers, joined in 1976 and Talking
Heads quickly became one of the most important bands to emerge from the New
York punk scene. Over the course of their 11-year recording career they
released ten albums (including five gold records, one platinum, and two
double-platinum), earned critical raves, and racked up more than a few
hits.

According to AllMusic, this is the track listing. Looks pretty awesome.

1. New Feeling
2. A Clean Break (Let's Work)
3. Don't Worry About the Government
4. Pulled Up
5. Psycho Killer
6. Who Is It?
7. The Book I Read
8. The Big Country
9. I'm Not in Love
10. The Girls Want to Be With the Girls
11. Electricity (Drugs)
12. Found a Job
13. Mind
14. Artists Only
15. Stay Hungry
16. Air
17. Love (Goes To) Building on Fire
18. Memories (Can't Wait)
19. Heaven
20. Psycho Killer
21. Warning Sign
22. Stay Hungry
23. Cities
24. I Zimbra
25. Drugs (Electricity)
26. Once in a Lifetime
27. Animals
28. Houses in Motion
29. Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)
30. Crosseyed and Painless
31. Life During Wartime
32. Take Me to the River
33. The Great Curve

Hollowgen 07-08-04 11:46 AM

i can pass on the 'best of' but i've tried to find a copy of the live album for some time. good news. however, where are the remasters of the albums? that'd be great mmmmkay.

Gdrlv 07-08-04 11:53 AM

The "Best of" is unexciting, but the release of The Name of This Band Is Talking Heads is awesome news.

cdollaz 07-08-04 12:01 PM

I edited out the crap about the best of since no one gives a crap anyway.

Ginwen 07-08-04 01:14 PM

Great. I can finally retire my beat-up cassette of Name of...

Excellent news that there will be extra stuff, especially Electricity--I used to have an excellent (and very different) version of that, but the tape disappeared.

They (I know not Rhino) also need to release the DVD from the box set as a stand-alone (I have the VHS, but I'd rather have the DVD of course!)

Hollowgen 07-08-04 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Ginwen
They (I know not Rhino) also need to release the DVD from the box set as a stand-alone (I have the VHS, but I'd rather have the DVD of course!)
you know, you can get the DVD set for a fairly cheap price now, if you search around. i also think both music clubs offer it too. it's worth the money for the 3cds and 1dvd full of videos.

Buford T Pusser 07-10-04 12:59 PM

I'm in for the live release! :thumbsup:

Bust 07-10-04 02:53 PM

:drool:

I've had TNOTBITH on CD for a little over a year (ripped from the records) and it gets some pretty heavy rotation. An official version will be a rare release date purchase for me.

Gunshy 07-11-04 01:07 AM

Originally posted by Bust
:drool:

I've had TNOTBITH on CD for a little over a year (ripped from the records) and it gets some pretty heavy rotation. An official version will be a rare release date purchase for me.

Yeah, I had the same thing done to my copy a couple years ago - it'll be nice to get an official release plus the extra goodies :)

-Gunshy

atlantamoi 07-11-04 07:54 AM

I own every TH disc (proper studio recordings), but had forgotten about this live recording. I probably will pass on it since it was never a part of my life when it was first out (other than maybe "Take Me to the River" on the radio) and I'm not fond of live stuff. Ah heck, I'll probably buy it anyway!

ChrisKnudsen 07-13-04 01:51 AM

Will Rhino re-issue it on vinyl?

Hollowgen 07-13-04 02:18 AM

Originally posted by ChrisKnudsen
Will Rhino re-issue it on vinyl?
maybe Rhino Handmade would