Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

SLAYER to issue live Reign in Blood DVD

Old 07-08-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

SLAYER to issue live Reign in Blood DVD

SLAYER To Issue Reign In Blood Live DVD [Hot Flashes - 04.07.07 20:28:41]

SLAYER will issue Reign In Blood Live: Still Reigning on September 28, 2004 on American records. Here's the official press release:

For the first time in the band’s long career, fans will be able to see the original Slayer line-up performing an entire concert live on DVD when the band releases Reign In Blood Live: Still Reigning on September 28, 2004. The DVD will have an approximate 75-minute running time and will retail for $14.98.

On Reign In Blood: Still Reigning, the original members of Slayer - Tom Araya (vocals, bass), guitarists Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman, and drummer Dave Lombardo (who permanently rejoined the band in 2003) - will perform in its entirety Reign In Blood, the 28-minute, 1986 classic considered to this day the pinnacle album of its genre.

“Reign in Blood is our signature record, and if people think that it helped set the path for that genre of music, that’s great,” said Araya. “It’s a record that means a lot to all of us in the band - it was our first record for a major label, and our first record with Rick Rubin who gave it unconditional support.”

Reign In Blood: Still Reigning will be directed by Dean Karr (IRON MAIDEN), and is set to be shot this Sunday, July 11 at the Civic Center in Augusta, ME. Ten cameras, including three hand-held mini-DVs, will capture Slayer throughout the day and evening, filming an abundance of footage and interviews shot backstage, on the band’s tour bus, and live on stage.

In an effort to revisit the look and feel of the time, the band will have a special Reign In Blood stage backdrop, and has recreated some of the original stage banners from the mid-80’s Reign In Blood-era tour dates, which incorporate the Slayer eagle and the controversial upside-down crosses that are part of the lighting rig. And some special on-stage surprises are planned for the DVD.

“If what we’re planning for the final 45-seconds of the song ‘Raining Blood’ looks half as cool as we hope it will,” added guitarist King, “the kids will be blown away. And we’ll probably have to replace all of our gear!”

Slayer play the Main Stage at this Summer’s Ozzfest, due to kick off this Saturday, July 10. On the Ozzfest offdays, Slayer will co-headline a slew of concerts with JUDAS PRIEST or SLIPNOT.

There is a god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-08-04, 10:23 AM

Excellent. I haven't really kept up with Slayer since I left high school (I had no idea Lombardo was back in the fold), but I'll be picking this up.
Old 07-08-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

good stuff
Old 07-08-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

SLAYER!!!!!
Old 07-08-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully this won't be held back for 2 years like the last DVD was!
Old 07-08-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very nice!

Recreating some of the original stage banners is a really nice touch.

Soooo, is the playing of the album in its entirety a part of a larger set list, or is this just going to be a 30 minute concert? (the DVD is 75 minutes, so the rest is interviews and backstage stuff?)
Old 07-08-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

AW HELL YEAH!!!
Old 07-08-04, 08:58 PM

I believe the album is part of a bigger setlist, which probably will be included in it's entirety, judging by the press release. I'm pretty sure on their latest tour the played the entire R.I.B. within the concert. Hopefully they'll play it last if all the gear gets destroyed. YES!!!!
Old 07-08-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news. I'd still prefer a dvd from the original tour. I'm sure there are tapes around. I don't a give a crap if it's "perfect" quality. Nothing can re-capture what it was like to see Slayer back at that time. Their RIB & SOH tours were two of the greatest concerts I've ever seen.