Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How have you introduced your kids to (your) music?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

How have you introduced your kids to (your) music?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Started early here as well - no kids music really. My daughter (3 years old now) loves Rusted Root, Peter Tosh, Bob Marley, The Grateful Dead, Michael Franti (with or without Spearhead), Utah Phillips etc.
Old 07-13-07, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 12thmonkey

I already told my daughter I've seen it and heard it all.
Shock value won't work on me...
Give it time. People used to think that Alice Cooper was about as evil as it gets, and now he's like everyone's crazy golf-playing uncle. Marilyn Manson even seems like a lamb these days. Sometime in the next 15 years, some musician will come along and shock you.
Old 07-13-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vincent was introduced in utero. Music is a huge part of our lives, my wife went to concerts with me until she was 8.5 months pregnant, and not some Michael Bolton soft shit, we saw Social Distortion, Bad Religion, and many others. We find it harder to get out now, but we play the music for him at home, as well as the kiddy stuff. He dances more to our music than he does the other stuff.
Old 07-13-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

By listening to music in the car. My daughter's taste is already really varied as is mine.
Old 07-14-07, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My sixth month old daughter is really getting into music. We're having a lot of fun. I have some DTS songs on DVD that I'll play for her while rocking her in my arms and she's asleep w/in 5 minutes. It's amazing. The funny thing is that she sees the menu show up on the DVD player and starts getting all excited. Last weekend we danced her around in our arms to some Earth, Wind and Fire tunes and she was laughing like a loon. I'll certainly play her baby tunes, but she'll get a good dose of classic songs from all genres.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do when she's a bit older and understands lyrics. Doubt I'll give the Sex Pistols a go for a very very long time.
Old 07-14-07, 06:52 AM

I've tried not to push anything on them, but when she as 3-4, my oldest daughter would always ask for me to play Uncle Tupelo's "Anodyne" when she was going to bed. Now that she is 10, she only wants to listen to Radio Disney.
Old 07-14-07, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a six-month-old girl and we play music around her at home and in the car. She hasn't really doesn't react to it that much. I'll also make up songs to sing to her. She'll smile and laugh at those.

My wife and I have always discussed if our daughter will listen to our cds as she gets older or if she'll have her own music.
Old 07-14-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
I'm still trying to figure out what to do when she's a bit older and understands lyrics. Doubt I'll give the Sex Pistols a go for a very very long time.
That was tricky call for us and ultimately we had discussions about words you can say at home and words she can't say anywhere else. We then tried to tone back the music if it had extreme language but the majority of stuff i listen to is pretty mellow. She can however, sing the entire song "Ganja Babe" by Spearhead.
Old 07-25-07, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

part of me wonders if the excessive ABBA, Olivia Newton-John ("Physical" was my jam at 2 years old), Barbra Streisand, Culture Club music that was played around me when I was in my development years contributed to my being gay, rofl.

Last edited by nothingfails; 07-25-07 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-25-07, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
My 2 year old likes to sing and dance to Crazy by Gnarls Barkley and I Don't Feel Like Dancin' by Scissor Sisters. I burned them to CD along with some other stuff (Jimmy Buffett, J. Geils Band, Blur, Gym Class Heroes and Breeders to name a few), which he plays on his Little Tykes CD player all the time.
Old 07-25-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Wow. Old thread. My daughter is now 3 since my last post and she also has a 1 year old sister now. She/they generally gets to hear her kiddie stuff when she is with mom in the car. Also my wife sings a lot. As for me, she gets her fill of prog in my car. Lots of Dream Theater, Queensryche and Pain of Salvation. I'll glance in the mirror every once in a while and catch her bobbing her head to the music.

Funny story. A few weeks back I was listening to Tesla's new CD in the car and my [almost]3 year old tells me she wants to hear BINGO(what she listens to in mom's car). I tell her I don't have BINGO and that I have Tesla. She responds in her cute little way, "I don't like Tesla." I continue with "You don't? I do," fishing for that automatic, "child likes what the parents like" response but she goes on. "I don't, I like BINGO."

So funny and sweet at the same time, and really the only time she has objected to any of my music. I figured it was because she was just stuck on that one song, BINGO, like every kid does, but she was with me a few days later and had a very similar conversation. I guess she just really doesn't like Tesla.
Old 07-25-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow. Old thread. My daughter is now 3 since my last post ....
Yep. Mine's now 16, and I can see my music tastes have had some impact.
The other day my wife overheard her tell her friends that "my dad has the best taste in music...he finds out about cool bands before anybody's ever heard of them." Made me proud...sniff....

She's continued her appreciation of "the classics" (Ramones, Clash, Pistols) while understanding that the most "new" music styles are just a rehash of some other period. I've turned her on to online stations like KEXP or SOMA-FM in order to foster an awareness of new bands that rarely get airplay, in order to broaden her horizons.

Of course, she's made me aware of a few bands I've come to like (Islands, Plain White Ts, The Fratellis, the numerous Ben Gibard side projects) so the favor is being returned.

We don't always agree, but that goes with the territory.

Fun...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 07-25-07 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-25-07, 10:17 AM

The joy of introducing your little kid to music is trusting that he/she will take away an appreciation of what makes for good music. It obviously doesn't require that your kid likes every single group or artist you do. Imagine how less interesting the world would be if everyone liked the same exact styles and bands.
Old 07-25-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Our son has always listened to our music - so far he does not have certain favorites, he does like certain CKY songs. His favorite song though, he sings it and ask for it and ask to watch the video all the time of Mike Watt's "Big Train", he even gets his voice deep when he sings it.
Old 07-25-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Today during breakfast(cereal, scrambled eggs, bacon, bagels) I put on the Daydream Nation DE I got last night just to check out the sound. My son(almost four), who somehow already has very strict notions of what is and isn't "rock" music(White Stripes="rock 'n' roll," Pantera="not rock 'n' roll, just fast"), asks "Is this dinner music?" during "Teen Age Riot" - meaning something mellow we'd normally listen to in the evening. Then, when "Silver Rocket" gets going, a light goes on in his head - "Dad, this is rock 'n' roll." He excuses himself from the table and starts pogoing and pumping his fists to the music in the living room, then his sisters(almost two and just five) excuse themselves and follow suit. Everybody's having a good time and we end up playing "Silver Rocket" three times. Then I have to skip past "The Sprawl," because I do not need them parroting "does 'fuck you' sound simple enough?" to Grandma this weekend("Eric's Trip" I let play, since I figure there's not much chance they'll be repeating "fucking the future"). By "Providence" they all mellow out and sit down and get this "wtf is this" look on their faces. Listening to music with your kids is some of the most fun you can have as a parent.
Old 07-25-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had my daughter dancing (in her dress-up high heels and a flowered dance skirt no less) in our living room while I was listening to some Frank Sinatra. Little kid was rocking out to Songs For Swinging Lovers.
Old 07-25-07, 12:04 PM

My six year old son and I both rock out to Fischerspooner in the car. He even sings along to most of it, he really digs it.
Old 07-25-07, 01:48 PM

I tried by Introducing classic rock to my Daughter, queen, floyd, zep and so on...Iv taken her to a few concerts and all was going to plan.

Then she started Middle School!!

now its Rap, Dance and R&B...

Shes now 13...

Oh Well.....

at least she likes the Mets

Last edited by tommy28; 07-25-07 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by tommy28
I tried by Introducing classic rock to my Daughter, queen, floyd, zep and so on...Iv taken her to a few concerts and all was going to plan.

Then she started Middle School!!

now its Rap, Dance and R&B...

Shes now 13...

Oh Well.....

at least she likes the Mets

Nah, don't worry, it shouldn't be that bad. I'd be on the lookout though as to why the sudden change in music. As a high school teacher who notices my students' musical tastes, you'd be surprised as to how difficult it is for kids who don't listen to what's hip to deal with the pressure. Most kids where I teach listen to MTV style crap. There's a very very small group that listens to really good music (I've eventually found out these kids all have parents who introduced them to good music from early on).
Old 07-25-07, 11:45 PM

Right now, Zoe's (3 1/2) favorite songs to dance and go crazy to are: Please, Please, Please (James Brown), Blitzkrieg Bob (Ramones), Do You Love Me (The Contours), and Jump (Kriss Kross). Can't wait to get back in town tomorrow and introduce her to Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Rockers to Swallow."
Old 07-26-07, 05:02 AM

This Months Flavor-

Cartel

http://www.cartelrocks.com/

There is zero loyalty in todays Music...your as big as your next CD.(with the kids)

back in the day, 70's and 80's people were Loyal.
today, no such thing!
Old 07-26-07, 07:08 PM
Cool New Member

I think siamse dream by the pumpkins would be an amazing album to get your kids intogo now go now!!
Old 07-27-07, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No kids yet but when they arrive "they will i keep telling my mother" we will be in hair metal happiness.