Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Does anyone hate the sound of live shows on CD?

Old 07-06-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone hate the sound of live shows on CD?

I hate live shows... I like the sound of studio-recorded CDs and try not to buy too many live-show CDs (none lately). I just like the processed sound better.

Anyone else?
Old 07-06-04, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree to an extent. I used to avoid the live stuff like the plague, but there have been a few exceptions...

for some reason, I like Van Halen Live: Right Here, Right Now. It actually sounds clean...
Old 07-06-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

buy any of the pearl jam boots, they sound great.
Old 07-06-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What I really really is the echo. That's what really drives me nuts.
Old 07-06-04, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sometimes I like hearing recordings of shows that I've actually attended at one time or another...but other than that, there are only one or two bands that I prefer their live recordings to their studio ones. Some live albums don't really do the studio albums justice.

For example:

Pink Floyd's "Pulse" will never do the amazing studio album "Dark Side Of The Moon" any justice.
Old 07-06-04, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've always found the live albums to be a compliment for those of us who went and saw the band/tour live. something to have as a remembrance of the show we really enjoyed.
Old 07-06-04, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I generally hate live albums.
Old 07-06-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, I never thought anyone would have such passionate hate for something like a live album. Nine times out of ten, I think a live album sounds better than studio. That's not to say I don't like studio albums. I love every stage of the music experience (though demos can have some pretty bad sound quality to them).

I guess to me for live album, what you hear is what you get (most of the time).. to say that it's actually them playing, and not a hundred over dubs or whatever other cheats someone may use.
Old 07-06-04, 08:51 AM

Generally I don't like live albums. I do enjoy the Toadies: Live From Paradise and Nirvana from the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah.
Old 07-06-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not a fan of live albums either. There are very few times I'd pick a live disc over a studio one. "Stop Making Sense" by the Talking Heads is one of those rare live recordings I enjoy.
Old 07-06-04, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
buy any of the pearl jam boots, they sound great.
yes.

(I've got about 25 of them )
Old 07-06-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Considering I have about 1000 live recordings, you could say I like "live" music.
Old 07-06-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chrisedge
Considering I have about 1000 live recordings, you could say I like "live" music.
I'd have to agree. A few months ago I found a website which has CD-quality bittorrent downloads of noncopyrighted live material and I've gone from about 20 live shows to 250.

I tend to like the sound of amateur recordings over official live releases, unless the official releases haven't gone through any extra processing or editing. The recent official Pixies releases sounded really good to me.
Old 07-06-04, 01:14 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I hate changes to songs I know very well and love, and I hate subpar recordings. So I usually hate most live stuff.
Old 07-06-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I almost always like the live albums (if professionally recorded, as opposed to a walkman recording) over studio albums. They're usually rawer, more energetic, and more intense.
Old 07-06-04, 01:33 PM

Not a huge fan of live music, there are a few exceptions. If I really like the artist then I'll buy to compliment the collection (as mentioned before). Sometimes the artist takes great liberties with their songs live, totally different arrangements and everything, that drives me crazy when I'm actually at a concert, I don't want that on CD.
Old 07-06-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems like nothing sounds as good live as it does studio.
Old 07-06-04, 03:07 PM
Suspended

Nope. Of the bands I listen to the most, I prefer the live versions much more.
Old 07-06-04, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^ same here.. much easier to see how much talent a musician has when they perform live and raw, rather than having countless takes and production in the studio..
Old 07-06-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually orefer when a band changes a song around. led zeppelin were great at doing this, a 4 minute instrumental drum song turned into a 20 min song, a long 6 minute song with a violin bow turned into a 25 minute song.
Old 07-06-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the bands i am crazy about (U2, Pearl Jam, Metallica) i always prefer the live version to the studio. Just a personal preference. I am into the energy and flow of live shows rather than the studio manipulation with is in all honestly due more to the producer than the artist in most cases.

ChrisEdge - nice job on the Mexico Popmart DVD on STG!
Old 07-06-04, 06:13 PM

I prefer live recordings to the clinical studio recordings. In a live performance, the "truth" comes out about a band, although this is often masked with studio trickery after the fact. For quite a few bands, the only recording on CD that I own, are from a live show of theirs.

Which also means I own a lot of live-in-concert DVDs.

Last edited by Saxofonix; 07-06-04 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I actually orefer when a band changes a song around. led zeppelin were great at doing this, a 4 minute instrumental drum song turned into a 20 min song, a long 6 minute song with a violin bow turned into a 25 minute song.
In the case of LZ, those long solos were often due to the rest of the band "engaging" the groupies backstage

Generally speaking, I prefer live music...on stage, an artist has to deliver the goods without relying on studio gimmickry. Plus, many songs come to life and grow on stage, so with that in mind I'm not hung up on changed arrangements and so on. For those who do object to this sort of thing: don't you think an artist might possibly become bored and disinterested playing the same song exactly the same way, night after night, tour after tour...
Old 07-06-04, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use to feel like this but Live Album's are meant to be played loud,very loud,if you can get the right set up going it sound's like your there,Rypro is right on the dot,if you want good live stuff check out any of Pearl Jam's line-up,infact Pearl Jam sound's better live then they do in the studio.
Old 07-06-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Unclejosh
ChrisEdge - nice job on the Mexico Popmart DVD on STG!
Why thank you...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.