DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Sum 41? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/373108-sum-41-a.html)

supe32978 07-04-04 04:51 PM

Sum 41?

Anyone know any songs from groups similar to Sum 41 and SR71?

Rypro 525 07-04-04 04:54 PM

the majority of emo punk thats on the radio today?
for instance
anything by
ataris
yellowcard
bowling for soup
simple plan
good charlotte

FatTony 07-04-04 09:48 PM

Blink 182, The Ataris, Yellowcard, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Allister, Avril Lavigne, MxPx, New Found Glory, and Sugarcult are all ones to stay away from in addition to the two you already listed. But if you absolutely MUST listen to them, a few of the ones I just listed aren't too terrible (early MxPx and early Ataris mostly).

Ergyu 07-05-04 02:35 AM

FatTony is right, I heard listening to shitty pop punk music causes Cancer of the Scrotum.

FatTony 07-05-04 05:56 AM

I suppose I can actually try to be a bit helpful on this topic. Here's a few specific albums you might want to check out.

Midtown - Save The World, Lose The Girl
The Movielife - Forty Hour Train Back To Penn
MxPx - Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo
The Ataris - Blue Skies, Broken Hearts...Next 12 Exits
Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon (while last year's Deja Entendu was much better, I think this album is more what you're looking for)

Those are all albums I would highly recommend, though none are anywhere near as poppy as Sum 41 or SR71. While I grew tired of all the watered-down pop-punk bands to get big over the years, there's still a few that I can sit down and enjoy, and I still listen to the above albums every once in a while.

KevinSmithIsGod 07-05-04 09:52 AM

Just listen to the man that wrote an produced most of the hits by the bands listed...
Butch Walker!!
or his old band...Marvelous 3...

Ya cant go wrong with either...

Pariah 07-05-04 11:37 AM

When I read this post the first thing I thought was, he needs "power pop (or as it is also known: cock rock)" so that means Marvelous 3, the "ReadySexGo" album would be the best choice. I really wouldn't reccomend his solo album, it's a lot less of the pop feel. Although to be fair, the first single on "Left of Self Centered" (Butch's first solo, he has a new one coming out "Letters" August 24th.) was compared to Sum 41 (the track was "My Way")To get an idea of Butch, he wrote SR-71's "Right Now" and did some writing/producing on the album after that. He also produced, among others, Midtown, Sevendust, and my other reccomendation, Lit. Lit is more of a rock feel of pop over the punk feel of pop you listed.

You have to listen to ReadySexGo, I have yet to find someone who hasn't liked that album. Unless they are a complete elistist, but they really don't matter :D

Dr_Evil 07-05-04 01:10 PM

I'll also recommend Marvelous 3. ReadySexGo and Hey!Album should be right up your alley. I actually like Hey!Album better than ReadySexGo, but both are good.

nodeerforamonth 07-05-04 07:43 PM

"power pop (or as it is also known: cock rock)"

power pop is completely different from "cock rock". Power pop is stuff like the Plimsouls, Flaming Groovies, Vibrators, etc...

bub2000 07-05-04 08:38 PM

Steriogram

Pariah 07-06-04 12:09 AM

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
"power pop (or as it is also known: cock rock)"

power pop is completely different from "cock rock". Power pop is stuff like the Plimsouls, Flaming Groovies, Vibrators, etc...

Earlier Marvelous 3 is power pop, older is more, I guess pop-rock.

I figured it's also cock rock based on hearing that term when refering to bands with hair band elements. Although I might be wrong in using the term cock rock...

There's too many genres and other bullshit names to describe bands, and moreso too many people have different ideas what is what. I'd consider NOFX to be pop-punk, yet I don't think the majority do.

So, just ignore genrezation (that can't be a word) and just buy the "ReadySexGo" album, if you dig it get "Hey! Album" and if you dig that get "Math and Other Problems." If you like all of them get "Left of Self Centered" then "The Heartwork EP" when it comes out, then when "Letters" comes out get that.

See, I'm helpful :D

Joeboo835 07-06-04 02:04 PM

MXPX - Before and Everything AFter. Great CD

funkyryno 07-07-04 03:12 AM

Since people are talking about cock rock, check out Diesel Boy's "Cock Rock" album. I love it.