Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Where do you buy your music CDs these days?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll tell ya, it's gettin' tough to NOT download music. As someone who regularly does download (and has thus expanded their collection massively), I do enjoy buying my absolute favorite CDs...but when I go to a place like Tower Records and find some music for $7.99 (Social Distortion - Self Titled) and others for $18.99 (Sublime - 40 oz. to Freedom), I am left wondering what the hell is wrong with music labels today.

SO where should I look? The used CD section? eBay? Half.com? I really would love to support artists that make quality music, but its hard to pay $20 for a CD when it costs 5 cents to burn it.
Old 07-03-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You got it. I will only pay $10.00 for a highly anticipated new release (sales at Target, CC, Best Buy). Other than that I either get my CDs from a music club (CH, BMG), used at a CD store, or online - my favorites are Amazon and Half.com. I've gotten mint CDs that way under $10.00. I can't afford CDs any other way and I like actual discs with artwork not just downloading an album.
Old 07-03-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
usually at Best Buy when they have it, or most of the time at shows.
Old 07-03-04, 10:20 PM

I almost always buy from Best Buy when they have what I'm looking for. It's hard to beat $9.99 for a new release.
Old 07-03-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Best Buy/Circuit City 99% of the time.
Old 07-03-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BB or CC sales, otherwise i buy used from ebay/half/secondspin. Would never think of buying from Tower/FYE, etc.
Old 07-03-04, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mainly various local record stores. My last seven or so purchases have been from a used record store in my hometown. I also use Insound, Forced Exposure, and Gemm online. I get stuff from Borders, too.
Old 07-04-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I check out the CDs from the library, write down the artist, album, and track name of the ones I want (I usually recognize songs I listen on the radio by sound and not those) and then use iTunes to buy the tracks I want... usually only one or two tracks per album. The last CD I bought was Clay Aiken's when it had just recently come out. iTunes' the way to go.
Old 07-04-04, 12:56 AM

I kinda wanna buy older CDs, classic rock, old punk, old-school rap (notice any trend?)

These CDs are usually pretty high, unless they fall into that $9.99 group, I think from Universal or somethin. Either way, the music industry is seriously f'ed up.
Old 07-04-04, 01:30 AM

Ordering directly from labels is often the cheapest route, although this is difficult (if not impossible) for major labels.

Other possibilities:
alldirect.com
deepdiscountcd.com
Old 07-04-04, 02:15 AM

There is a local record store I've been going to for years called Rolling Stones and they always seem to have the best prices on newer stuff, and catalog titles usually dip below $10. Picked some stuff up for $8 recently, and I'm not talking about used either. Best Buy used to rock, but their prices went up drastically from 9 years ago. I went in for the new Motorhead album and they wanted $15. Got it at my local place for $11.
Old 07-04-04, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I download most of my music either from allofmp3.com or other avenues, occasionaly I Tunes. The only CDs I buy are from smaller bands & usually I get those form awarestore.com or at shows.
Old 07-04-04, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i always start locally in the used section. used or new, you're still helping your local shops.

if they don't have what i want, and it's not on a major label, i can usually order it direct from the label for a cheaper price than MSRP.

...and, as a final option, i do half.com, amazon.com for used items. now days it hurts me to buy a cd for over $10.00, even though there is alot of good stuff that BMG/CH don't have.
Old 07-04-04, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the past year, I have only bought my CDs from the following places:

- iTunes.
- Tower Records.
- Target.
- Best Buy or Circuit City.
- Local owned record stores (like Big B's).
Old 07-04-04, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the past year, I've bought exactly 3 CDs, (All by artists from labels not represented by the RIAA) none of which were at a B&M store. Two from Amazon and one from Itunes.

Half.com is, without a doubt, the best option for used CDs and is what I used primarily a couple years ago. Although isn't eBay planning on shutting it down this month? Bloody shame.
Old 07-04-04, 05:12 PM

Newbury Comics is the best place for me. Though i don't live anywhere near Boston anymore, so i haven't been there in a couple years.
Old 07-05-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If I need a CD right away, I tend to get it at Best Buy, even though their prices are slightly higher than the lesser stocked Circuit City. On rare occasions, I might find something at K-Mart or Target, but not much else. Everything else is either on-line or from BMG or Columbia House or specialized mail order places. Sometimes I shop at a local used CD/DVD shop since they have quite a bit of sealed OOP/promotional items for about $9.

I don't download/buy MP3s because they aren't worth anything on the collector's market.
Old 07-06-04, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I buy most things online, since places like Best Buy usually don't have what I'm looking for (and the places that do, like Tower and sometimes Borders) charge too much.

If it's something mainstream, I'll usually buy it at Best Buy when it first comes out, since they have pretty good prices.
Old 07-06-04, 12:12 PM

Overstock.com has CDs pretty cheap. I buy a lot of double CD sets put out by DJs like Deep Dish, Sasha, etc. They are much cheaper there--around $15-17 compared to $20 or more at other places.
Old 07-06-04, 02:49 PM

usually at Best Buy on release week. and i've been buying more and more used cds to catch up on catalog titles i've been missing.
Old 07-06-04, 03:18 PM

I shop at some local stores here in Baltimore. Soundgarden, Record and Tape Traders, and Reptillian Records. I use Deep Discount CD, but I've been having too many problems with them lately. You can find some good deals at alldirect.com They have some really great prices on some things, but their shipping rates are a little on the high side. If you buy multiple things to lower the average shipping cost per item, you can do pretty well there. They also have free shipping on orders over $99.
Old 07-06-04, 04:13 PM
Suspended

I don't typically buy cd's anymore. When I do its usually at Best Buy.

And I dont download music either.
Old 07-06-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
If the cd is $10 or less brand new, I buy from deepdiscountcd.com.

If I know it is something I want (which is rare), I buy it from Best Buy or DDCD (which ever is cheaper).

Anything over $10 at the two above places I buy at Half.com.

If it is over 10 bucks at BB, DDCD, or Half.com, I don't buy it. (I have a friend burn it for me.)
Old 07-06-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im really into the underground gangsta rap sceen right now and cant buy the stuff I want at Best Buy's or Circuit City's so I go to pawn shop's,CD warehouses,used CD store's are all over where I live so I look there but the best place to go for anyone looking for used and new disc's is Amazon.com,this place has every disc you ever wanted,the place is a database to all store's,you find some good cheep stuff on there.

I needed a out of print disc that came out in 1991 and couldnt find it anywhere went on Amazon and got it for 6 buck's total with shipping,give it a try bro.
Old 07-06-04, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

local indie record stores. The bigger chain stores sell their CDs for $13.99 (IF they're on sale) and they also don't carry most of the stuff I'm into.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.