DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Parents going through divorce -- I need some music advice (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/371884-parents-going-through-divorce-i-need-some-music-advice.html)

PJsig08 06-26-04 07:54 PM

Parents going through divorce -- I need some music advice

Well life sucks sometimes, my parents are going through a (shocking) divorce. I have come here because I need some help with music, which has already helped greatly in my pain.

I have already gone with Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales and even the new Johnny Cash - Unearthed Music 5 CD set, which I highly reccomend to anyone...very mellow, acoustic Johnny Cash songs.

Anyways, any other advice? I'd really like some nice, mellow music like Antonio Jobim, or some jazz that'll help me relax during difficult times. I appreciate the advice, and am open to any ideas.

KTIK 06-26-04 08:08 PM

Ever hear of Tom Waits?

deadlax 06-26-04 09:05 PM

mogwai

iron and wine

mojave 3, neal halstead and rachel goswell

The Infidel 06-26-04 09:42 PM

Mazzy Star

fallow 06-27-04 10:35 AM

Maybe you'd like Caetano Veloso?

Drexl 06-27-04 02:31 PM

Cowboy Junkies

You might also want to listen to "Wonderful" by Everclear. It's not mellow, but it does go with how you're feeling.

Hollowgen 06-29-04 11:24 AM

tom petty - wildflowers

wendersfan 06-29-04 11:32 AM

Van Morrison. Either Astral Weeks or Moondance should do nicely.

Njål 06-29-04 01:38 PM

Second the Van Morrison recommendations.
If you like the Cash Unearthed set, I recommend picking up all the American series, from which recording sessions Unearthed are outtakes, mostly (my fav is III: Solitary Man).
Also, I'd recommend Bonnie 'Prince' Billy/Will Oldham/Palace/Palace Brothers, especially B'P'B: I See a Darkness (Cash covers the title song on Solitary Man) and Master & Everyone.
Jazz:
John Coltrane: A Love Supreme would probably be my fav for relaxing.

BradJ 06-29-04 02:18 PM

BoDeans

Turd Ferguson 06-29-04 02:23 PM

Bob Dylan- Blood On The Tracks. Period.

Hollowgen 06-29-04 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
Bob Dylan- Blood On The Tracks. Period.
that would have been my next suggestion

tofu 06-29-04 09:33 PM

Sigur Ros

Michael Corvin 06-29-04 09:47 PM

An Evening With John Petrucci & Jordan Rudess.

All instrumental, piano and guitar. Beautiful.

FatTony 06-29-04 10:15 PM

Originally posted by tofu
Sigur Ros
I second that! I just started listening to this group and I love their music. I highly recommend ( ) (the one with the white slipcover).

I'd also go for some jazz myself, if you're looking for soothing and relaxing. Most Miles Davis (before In A Silent Way) would fit the bill. Dave Brubeck's Time Out, Vince Guaraldi's A Boy Named Charlie Brown, and Charles Mingus's Mingus Ah Um are a few more personal favorites of mine.

Oh and any Bob Marley.

PorkChopExpress 06-29-04 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Drexl
Cowboy Junkies

Check out the Trinity Sessions. One of my favorite CDs, it's moody, melancholy and haunting. A beautiful disc.

Abranut 06-29-04 10:28 PM

I recommend "If You're Feeling Sinister" by Belle & Sebastian. Mellow, bittersweet chamber pop with some biting lyrics. A great album (probably their best).

CapRockBrewingCo. 07-04-04 10:46 AM

Whiskeytown "Stranger's Almanac" Find a site where you can sample the songs.

uli2000 07-05-04 09:57 PM

They Might Be Giants-they'll need a crane

xmiyux 07-05-04 10:21 PM

Originally posted by KTIK
Ever hear of Tom Waits?
Ah how i adore Tom Waits.

I would also third the recommendation of Blood on the Tracks by Dylan and i would add I'm Your Man by Leonard Cohen.

Actually i'd also add in Bird On a Wire by Leonard Cohen as well. It is a compilation of his earlier more melodic works. Nothing like Susanne to really calm me down and then Tower of Song to finish it up. Then to go with an older classic - try Frank Sinatra: Wee Small Hours. It's my fav of all his work for the late a night sitting alone and thinking vibe.

audiofool 07-08-04 06:53 AM

Lambchop - Is A Woman..... just the thing for when you're in a blue funk.

whaaat 07-08-04 07:00 AM

Marvin Gaye - Here My Dear