Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Are ticket prices really affecting your concert-going?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not thrilled with the $80.00 total price tag on the Rush show but I'll pay that because I love Rush and not to mention they play for 3 1/2 hours. But charge me $80.00 for some cheesy band that only has 2 or 3 albums they can bite me.
Old 06-23-04, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only artist I've seen for the last five years that I had to pay more than $20 for was Elvis Costello, on three different occasions. Otherwise, I only go to club shows where I can buy tickets at the door and bypass the Ticketmaster scumdogs.
Old 06-24-04, 10:46 PM

Yes it does. I'm a poor college student. What sucks is i'm home(Vacaville, CA) for the summer(going to school in uneventful Helena, Montana). Vacaville is 45 minutes from Sacramento and about 1hr-1 1/2hr to San Francisco/Berkeley and there's always great bands coming through. The two shows i've been to this summer were Sleater-Kinney in sac for $15(no surcharge) and the Live 105 BFD w/the Beastie Boys, The Strokes, Violent Femmes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and more for FREE as a B-Day gift. After Surcharges, Gas, and having to miss work it's just not worth it.
Old 06-25-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i only go to club shows and even though the ticket prices are relatively low, $12 to $15, the ticketmaster charges make them $25 or more. when the fees are 75% or more of the ticket face value, something is very wrong.

you cant buy out of state tickets anymore at the local ticketmaster outlet so youre forced to be online. i believe this is the "convienance" there is an extra charge for. they also say that you will get your ticket 48 hours prior to the event. considering its an out of state show, maybe i will be on vacation and want to see the show, but i cant, because i have to wait home for my tickets to come. i know the answer is to buy an extra $15 for federal express to bring it. so each ticket is now about 60 bucks for a $15 club show. its almost extortion.

something needs to be done.
Old 06-25-04, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, ticket prices haven't had any effect in my concert-going.

Having three kids 4 and under has had an effect on my concert-going ... unless it's the Wiggles or something like that.

(getting ready for my vasectomy ...)
Old 06-25-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Yes.

Now I only go to certain "important shows" like RUSH and BJORK. Certain metal bands also get my attention like IRON MAIDEN. Everyone else I let pass. In fact, my all time "must see" band KISS just got added to my "I'll pass" list.
Old 06-26-04, 06:59 PM

Oh totally. I used to see as many bands as possible just to keep abreast of the current scene. Now since the cost is so much more, I've become more judicious with my $$ and will only buy tix for artists I dearly want to see. Sucks.
Old 06-26-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've actually gone to more shows this year than anytime in my life because I'm older and make more money now (and tha fact that everone who I want to see is touring now) but the high ticket prices do stull piss me off though.
Old 07-01-04, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by woofman

Shows passed up: Alison Krauss
I know someone that's seen her in concert several times lately, but that's because he's dating her.
Old 07-01-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by slop101
I only go to club shows now:

less $ + less people = better show... for me, anyways.
Exactly. That's what I do.

$10-$15 at the very most to get in (usually it's $5-$7) and you can see many bands in an intimate setting before they become mega-huge. I've seen Beck, Goo Goo Dolls, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, etc.. in the clubs. Didn't cost me more than $10 to see any of those bands.
Old 07-02-04, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Absolutely. I won't even check out new acts anymore.
Old 07-02-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not so much the money, for me there's not alot of people I want to see. Most of my faves aren't touring or simpley not rolling through my area. Matthew Sweet, for example, hasn't played my area in nearly 10 years. Owsley is touring, but he's not playing in my area yet. Fountains of Wayne is playing in NYC (I'm about 90 miles east of NYC) so that adds an expense with taking the train into the city.

There's alot of tours that have been cancelled lately. Lollapolooza was cancelled and Madonna's tour, though not cancelled, hasn't been selling as well as some thought. I think with the economy the way it is, and with the current business RIAA, there's a backlash now. Peoplea are tired of being ripped off. And this is one problem they can't blame on downloading.
Old 07-03-04, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
oh yeah. From 1986-about 1996 I went to LOTS of shows for $25 -$40. Now, Maybe 1 or 2 a year. Prince for sure, usually local shows for less bucks.
Old 07-03-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
nope, because most of the shows I go to aren't that expensive at all.

if there is anything that is slowing down my show going its:

1. Gas prices in California
2. the recent bridge toll hike in the bay area

3.parking prices in san francisco (at some venues)
Old 07-03-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely. I would go to more, but most touring bands are at least $35-$40, and you then add in parking ($5-$20) and drinks/merchandise ($5-$20), that's easily about $100 night for me (and that's not including that I sometimes pay the way of my g/f). So, yeah, it takes a band that I have to really LOVE to get out to see them, and that's a shame because it deters me to check out bands that I'm on the fence about or want to check out to see if they are any good.
But usually my best concert experiences are going to local band shows (3-5 bands on the bill for about $7). You get to either enjoy the experience of finding a great new band or you get to make fun of how bad they are with your friends... either way it's a good time.

EDIT: Forgot to add that you almost always have to pay an extra $7-$10 for Ticketbastard charges.
Old 07-03-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pretty funny. Right now, on the radio (Indie 103.1 in Southern California) they just finished playing a Cure song and the DJs said that the band will be in town for the Curioso Tour and that tickets are still available in "the nosebleed section". Then one of the DJs said, "Yeah but they are like $75 bucks thru Ticketmaster" and there was dead silence for a few seconds until the other DJ picked up the ball and said "Well worth it if you are a Cure fan."

Uh, no it's not. And I'm sure the Cure fans already have their tix closer up or just plain couldn't afford to go.
Old 07-03-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, definitely. I just can't justify spending that much money on the performers that I would like to see. Would love to have seen Prince and Rush this year, but I just can't do it.