Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: What brand of MP3 player do you own?
Apple
41.94%
Rio
11.29%
Samsung
0%
Creative
16.13%
IRiver
11.29%
RCA
3.23%
Archos
4.84%
other
11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

What MP3 player do you own and why?

Old 06-20-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
What MP3 player do you own and why?

I'm not sure if this has been done, but I just wondered what everyone's opinions are about MP3 players, which they own, why, and if they're satisfied with them.

By way of the forum to place this, I chose Music Talk since this is about MP3 players, and I figured the Tech Talk forum would be more geared toward DVD's, since this is the DVD Talk website.

If you own a different player other than one of the several which I could find brand names on, feel free to tell what you have!

Personally, I own the Creative 40GB Nomad Zen Xtra. The first thing that appealed to me was the price. The iPod 40GB is $500, so comparing to Creative's $270 price tag, it was hard to resist. I know Creative is a good company, so I tried it. I've found the player and the software incredibly easy to use, and it even looks good. I'm not into style enough to plunk down $500 for an iPod, regardless of all the good things I've heard about it and all its cool extra features. I wanted something to simply store and play songs on, and I'll even be able to use the Nomad to store and transfer other types of files when I'm ready to re-install Windows in the near future.

Previously, I had tried the RCA 40GB Lyra, as the price was about the same as the Nomad, but I had to take it back the next day. A couple of the buttons stopped working, and the software was too difficult to figure out. With the Nomad, I was ripping CD's and transferring them to the unit within minutes of taking it out of the box.
Old 06-20-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got the 20 GB Creative Nomad Zen back around the time it first came out. Given my listening habits (lots of music from lots of different artists), I wanted something with a lot of storage space. I did some research and, while the Ipod looked really cool, I just couldn't justify paying a couple of hundred dollars more for it. Back then, the Zen was the only thing comparable in size and storage space to the Ipod.

I use it a lot: at the gym, in the library, on trips (used to bring TONS of CDs for even the quickest trip). I like how it can play WMA files. Overall, I'm happy with it. I guess because it is a first generation of the Zen model, it's kind of buggy and Creative has all but abandoned it (no more firmware updates). Also, the case it came with blows and I've only seen one third party manufacturer that makes cases (cool, but very expensive leather ones).

When the battery eventually dies, I don't know if I'll suck it up and pay Creative the obscene amount of money to replace it or if I'll just shop around and get something more current. I've used up about 16 GB already and, let me tell you, I'm not thrilled at the prospect of ripping all of those CDs again. Hopefully, I won't have to make that decision for a long while.
Old 06-20-04, 11:22 PM

Dell Jukebox
Old 06-21-04, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

none, because i've yet to see the need for one. i love cds, and i love listening to music in my car and at home.
Old 06-21-04, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ipod. Its just the one that appealed to me the most. I got a 10gb one when the 40GB was hitting the streets. A friend wanted to switch over to the 40 so sold me his 3rd generation 10gb for $175.

I never put much thought into which one to get. I went with the Ipod because it kinda fell into my lap and I heard nothing but great reviews for it everywhere. I've had it for about a year and I can't complain
Old 06-21-04, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rio Karma:

1. Nice size
2. Great sound quality (equals the terrific Zen and blows away the iPod). It's also got a very powerful headphone amp and five band parametric equalizer.
3. Amazing playlist creation options: you can of course create any playlist you want using Rio Music Manager, but the Karma can create its own automatically generated playlists right on the player through any of seven options. It also allows you to insert tracks and completely delete them from the player. Nice.
4. Great UI, you don't need a manual.
5. Terrific battery life, about twice that of the iPod.
6. $250 at most retailers.
7. Really nice dock and headphones are included.
8. Rio Music Manager is non-colonizing and works perfectly.

I don't use the on-board web server the Karma has, but it's nice to know it's there. Also, the VU meters is the best playscreen of any Mp3 player.

Rio had some quality problems with this player at the outset, but so does every HDD-based player. The current firmware and software are extremely stable. If you've been waiting, get the Karma now, it's a great deal and just about the best player available.
Old 06-21-04, 08:11 AM

Archos Jukebox

It's a 20gb brick ... but it was also $100

I also have a Rio Chiba for more active times
Old 06-21-04, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I started out with an Archos Jukebox 10g and had plenty of problems. Software was awful (until I switched to Rockbox), sound was so-so, only had USB1.1, display was so-so, big and bulky.

Just bought a 15g iPod and have never been happier. Yeah, it's overpriced. But, I'm happy with every facet of it.
Old 06-21-04, 08:13 AM

I have a portable CD/MP3 player that I use.
I burn all of my mp3s on CDs. one CD will hold around 5 to 6 hrs of music and that is with high bit rate.
I just plug it into my computer speakers, works great and is affordable.
Old 06-21-04, 08:18 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

30GB Ipod. the 3rd Gen.
Got it day of release. April 2003.

Purchased it for travel, fed up taking 20 cds with me when flying from San Fran to Europe. and I knew I had a lot of those flights in 03/04. Well worth it.

Have used the Dell Jukebox as well, not as nice an item.

The Ipod for me just is perfect, its sexy, and a beautiful product.
So good that I got mrs bdb a mini ipod. which while its only got 4gb of storage is still a beauty.
Old 06-21-04, 08:32 AM

I have the same as the OP - Creative 40GB Nomad Zen Xtra. When deciding between that and the ipod, price was definitely the first factor. Other advantages were greater battery life and sound quality.

I am very happy with the Nomad. I have a Belkin tape adapter to listen to it on my way to work and on road trips. I use Red Chair Software's Notmad Explorer instead of the included management software. It is an amazing program (and the 1st software I have purchased in a loooong time).

Nomad Zen Xtra is highly recommended.
Old 06-21-04, 09:54 AM

I have the Creative 40Gb Zen Xtra too. I had pretty much the same reasons as adumbc. I did not pretty hard the Rio Karma for the flac support.
Old 06-21-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rio S30S. It was cheap, $65, small, I use it at the gym, and it is expandable from 64mb to 768mb (currently 320mb) with SC cards.
Old 06-21-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

MD.
Old 06-21-04, 10:19 AM

I have to say my Archos Jukebox 2.0 has performed extremely well. I have no problems in over 4 months of heavy use.

It is USB 2.0 and I installed the RockBox interface. It may not be the sexiest interface, but it sure is one of the most powerful and gets better with each release.

Works as a 20gb USB2.0 External HardDrive.

I payed $103 shipped.
Old 06-21-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a Iriver IHP-140, just got it. Love it. Love that I don't need any software on any machine to load MP3's or share them. The only con was the price. But I figured it was the same as a Ipod, so I'm happy.

Last edited by Chrisedge; 06-22-04 at 08:22 AM.
Old 06-21-04, 01:52 PM
Banned

Just got a Dell DJ, cant wait for it
Old 06-21-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have an old ass Rio 500. I run with it. I might get an Mini Ipod whenever the Rio 500 goes the way of the dodo. So far, 4 years and 2 drops, it is doing fine.
Old 06-21-04, 02:05 PM
Retired

There's none that fit my needs at the moment. I hate transfering files from CD to MP3, so I'd want to do it once and be done with it. Thus the HD players are what I'd need.

But they're supposedly not safe to do a lot of running etc with as they can skip and get the HD messed up, and given the cost of them it's not a risk I'm willing to take right now, given that running and weight lifting are the only time I'd use it.

Thus I'm waiting for some new high capacity MP3 player that's 100% skip proof and safe for physical activites. I'll probably be waiting a while.
Old 06-21-04, 02:25 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

It really depends on where you were the Hd based player.

If you run with one on your Hip, its going to get a lot of jarring.

However one the arm, gets next to none, your arms while runing don't suffer the impact of the hip/leg area.

I tried my regular Ipod on my hip and ended up carrying it.
the mrs mini works great in the armband, not a peep in a 1 hour run.
Old 06-21-04, 02:46 PM
Retired

Yeah, the issue with the I-pod is I'd want the bigger one (unless the price drops drastically on the mini, it's way to much for a lot less space compared to the regular ones) and they're too big for an arm band IMO.
Old 06-21-04, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I spent $350 or less for the RCA lyra 40 gig jukebox. Comes with a ton of accessories and at 40 gigs, it's about half the cost of an iPod.

I just hate the random generator on it. But plays/sounds fine.
Old 06-21-04, 03:08 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Dell DJ. I picked it for a number of reasons. Great price, has all the functions I wanted, and was the most aesthetically pleasing IMO.
Old 06-21-04, 03:54 PM

I bought the RCA Lyra Jukebox ... I think it is the 60 Gig version. Sweet machine. I like it a lot.
Old 06-21-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rio S35S - For working out, running, physical activities
Rio Karma - For everything else.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.