Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Depeche Mode Album?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Best Depeche Mode Album?

Old 06-19-04, 10:10 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 543
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Depeche Mode Album?

Black Celebration is their best record.


Fly on the Windscreen is the best song on the album.


Anyone agree?

Last edited by corycouger; 06-19-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-19-04, 10:20 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,715
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
"Black Celebration" is my favorite DM album. But "Violator", "Ultra" and "Music for the Masses" are very close. As far as best song on "Celebration"? That's a tough one. The entire album is so good from start to finish.
Old 06-19-04, 11:02 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Esco, CA
Posts: 721
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be fair, I haven't really given the other DM albums a good listen other than by hearing the songs that are played on the radio. However, I would say that Violator is one of my top 5 all time favorite albums.
Old 06-19-04, 11:20 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,629
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cut a couple off of ultra, and it'd be the best, no question.

Last edited by Hollowgen; 06-19-04 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-19-04, 11:25 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,193
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Best Depeche Mode Album?

Originally posted by corycouger
Anyone agree?
With Black Celebration? Yes Absolutely.

With Fly on the Windscreen? Sorry, I think 'But Not Tonight' is my favorite song. It's the one uplifting thing on this bleak album and a perfect way to end a perfect album.

Spoiler:
Now I just know someone is going to feel they have to post about how 'But Not Tonight' was originally a b-side and was not even supposed to be included on the album.
Old 06-19-04, 11:29 PM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Somewhere on the 101
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Celebration is a great record, but I would have to go with Violator. That record influenced my life in (it's so cheesy but true) so many ways.
Old 06-20-04, 02:30 AM
  #7  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't possibly choose between Black Celebration, Music For The Masses, and Violator.

I also can't choose the best song off Black Celebration. Every track is fantastic.
Old 06-20-04, 05:03 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Owings,MD,USA
Posts: 909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Celebration is nearly perfect but loses major points from me for "New Dress." I think the title track and Stripped are equally best on that album.

Music for the Masses is also nearly perfect but I find the bonus tracks that seemed cool at the time are now distracting. I wish they had made it more cohesive b/c it could've been perfect. Never Let Me Down Again is amazing, and just as amazing was its popularity b/c it's so non-pop and non-catchy.

They're the 2 best DM albums, IMO. I find myself listening to these top-to-bottom more than any of the others.
Old 06-21-04, 12:58 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tommyp007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 5,806
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
music for the masses
Old 06-21-04, 03:29 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Waterford, MI
Posts: 1,212
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No love for Songs of Faith and Devotion? I love that album although I probably love Ultra just a tad more.

After that, it's Black Celebration for sure.

Most disappointing album for me...Exciter. I really expected something better after hearing what a great album Ultra is.

Michael
Old 06-21-04, 06:48 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 256
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Music for the Masses but it was the first record that I had by them so there is a huge bias.
Old 06-21-04, 08:23 AM
  #12  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 33,086
Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
I agree completely with the original poster.
Old 06-21-04, 08:30 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 8,572
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Violator
Old 06-21-04, 08:43 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,935
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First got into them in '83, but I'd still go with "Violator". Still sounds great today.
Old 06-21-04, 09:01 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,715
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by fiver
No love for Songs of Faith and Devotion? I love that album although I probably love Ultra just a tad more.

After that, it's Black Celebration for sure.

Most disappointing album for me...Exciter. I really expected something better after hearing what a great album Ultra is.

Michael

Not from me (love for "Song of Faith and Devotion" that is). I've been a fan of this group since 1981. And I thought that album (and era) was a huge misstep for them. I don't want Depeche Mode as a rock band. And I certainly don't want Dave Gahan looking like some strung out crack head. It was ridiculous seeing him look and act that way on stage singing those earlier pop songs. Didn't fit at all. Plus, I thought the album was mediocre at best. I hate both "I Feel You" and "Condemnation" with a passion. Two songs they continue to torture their fans with live. The only tracks I will play if I put the album on (which is rare) are "Mercy in You" (should have been a single!!!), "One Caress" and "Higher Love". I thought "Ultra" was their phoenix. In more ways than one. And while I think "Exciter" is a decent effort, it just doesn't feel complete to me. Most songs sound like demos. Too organic for me.
Old 06-21-04, 12:26 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 3,659
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard choice. I think I'll go with Black Celebration, it's near-perfect, I like each song (of course some BC, Fly on the Windscreen are ones I love). My favorite song of that album....Here in the House. I feel this song is underrated. I'd heard other songs from them prior, but it was this one that pushed me from merely liking DM to loving them...a really sensual song IMO.

Can we just talk about how much I love "Shake the Disease". I think I warped the tape on that one. The beginning of their music excellence.
Old 06-21-04, 12:41 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,382
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Music For The Masses
Old 06-21-04, 01:23 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,715
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by iggystar
Hard choice. I think I'll go with Black Celebration, it's near-perfect, I like each song (of course some BC, Fly on the Windscreen are ones I love). My favorite song of that album....Here in the House. I feel this song is underrated. I'd heard other songs from them prior, but it was this one that pushed me from merely liking DM to loving them...a really sensual song IMO.

Can we just talk about how much I love "Shake the Disease". I think I warped the tape on that one. The beginning of their music excellence.
Wow, my twin. "Here in the House" is my favorite song on "Black Celebration". And.... yes, let's talk about "Shake the Disease". My all-time favorite Depeche Mode song. Brilliant tune. If only they'd do that live again in concert. Back to "Black Celebration" for a second, I guess I'm in the minority by saying I actually like "New Dress". It's definitely my second favorite track on the album.

One last DM comment, who here would like to see them go back to mostly keyboards in concert with no drums, and NO back up singers? I would! Martin can play guitar from time to time of course. But how I miss the days when it just them behind those keyboards. And while the back up singers are quite good, I don't like to pay to hear THEM sing. They drown Dave and Martin out. They were fine and capable without them before. I also thought the drummer was quite excellent, but drums change the dynamics of the songs. It ruined "Black Celebration" on the Exciter tour.
Old 06-21-04, 02:56 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 3,659
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
Wow, my twin. "Here in the House" is my favorite song on "Black Celebration". And.... yes, let's talk about "Shake the Disease". My all-time favorite Depeche Mode song. Brilliant tune. If only they'd do that live again in concert. Back to "Black Celebration" for a second, I guess I'm in the minority by saying I actually like "New Dress". It's definitely my second favorite track on the album.

One last DM comment, who here would like to see them go back to mostly keyboards in concert with no drums, and NO back up singers? I would! Martin can play guitar from time to time of course. But how I miss the days when it just them behind those keyboards. And while the back up singers are quite good, I don't like to pay to hear THEM sing. They drown Dave and Martin out. They were fine and capable without them before. I also thought the drummer was quite excellent, but drums change the dynamics of the songs. It ruined "Black Celebration" on the Exciter tour.
That's totally tripping me out I didn't know anyone even paid attention two these songs besides me! We are twins! And I like New Dress too!

Unfortunately, I've only seen DM once and there were those background singers (the Singles tour). They didn't drown out Dave, but I was so excited to finally be at one of their concerts..... However, what I like about their sound is the synthesizers, the "electronic" for lack of better words. If I want drums and background singers I have other groups that can fill that need, so I can see what you mean.
Old 06-21-04, 09:54 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: My chair
Posts: 2,156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Violator
Old 06-21-04, 10:00 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Antipodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 6,173
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be different and say Depeche Mode 101. I'm not a huge live albums fan but this one just really does it for me, and great renditions of their songs.
Old 06-22-04, 01:05 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: detroit, MI, USA
Posts: 3,659
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I'll be different and say Depeche Mode 101. I'm not a huge live albums fan but this one just really does it for me, and great renditions of their songs.
I usually detest live albums/songs, the rendition of Everything Counts on 101 is one of my favorite songs by them.
Old 06-22-04, 01:47 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
DJLinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 8,778
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh, it's gotta be Songs of Faith and Devotion...Live.

Just kidding...that's probably one of my least favorite albums.

For me, it's a toss-up between Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion. The only time I've seen them live was in support of the latter, so that may have something to do for my feelings about it.

Close are Music For The Masses and Some Great Reward.
Old 06-22-04, 04:16 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 9,334
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Violator
Old 06-22-04, 08:31 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 13,819
Received 118 Likes on 79 Posts
For me, its Black Celebration (my favourite track would be either the title track or "Stripped") closely followed by Violator

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.