DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Best Depeche Mode Album? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/370676-best-depeche-mode-album.html)

corycouger 06-19-04 10:10 PM

Best Depeche Mode Album?

Black Celebration is their best record.

Fly on the Windscreen is the best song on the album.

Anyone agree?

Daytripper 06-19-04 10:20 PM

"Black Celebration" is my favorite DM album. But "Violator", "Ultra" and "Music for the Masses" are very close. As far as best song on "Celebration"? That's a tough one. The entire album is so good from start to finish.

SomeVoices 06-19-04 11:02 PM

To be fair, I haven't really given the other DM albums a good listen other than by hearing the songs that are played on the radio. However, I would say that Violator is one of my top 5 all time favorite albums.

Hollowgen 06-19-04 11:20 PM

cut a couple off of ultra, and it'd be the best, no question.

Tscott 06-19-04 11:25 PM

Re: Best Depeche Mode Album?

Originally posted by corycouger
Anyone agree?
With Black Celebration? Yes Absolutely.

With Fly on the Windscreen? Sorry, I think 'But Not Tonight' is my favorite song. It's the one uplifting thing on this bleak album and a perfect way to end a perfect album.

Spoiler:
Now I just know someone is going to feel they have to post about how 'But Not Tonight' was originally a b-side and was not even supposed to be included on the album.

PorkChopExpress 06-19-04 11:29 PM

Black Celebration is a great record, but I would have to go with Violator. That record influenced my life in (it's so cheesy but true) so many ways.

Supermallet 06-20-04 02:30 AM

I can't possibly choose between Black Celebration, Music For The Masses, and Violator.

I also can't choose the best song off Black Celebration. Every track is fantastic.

Stats 06-20-04 05:03 AM

Black Celebration is nearly perfect but loses major points from me for "New Dress." I think the title track and Stripped are equally best on that album.

Music for the Masses is also nearly perfect but I find the bonus tracks that seemed cool at the time are now distracting. I wish they had made it more cohesive b/c it could've been perfect. Never Let Me Down Again is amazing, and just as amazing was its popularity b/c it's so non-pop and non-catchy.

They're the 2 best DM albums, IMO. I find myself listening to these top-to-bottom more than any of the others.

tommyp007 06-21-04 12:58 AM

music for the masses

fiver 06-21-04 03:29 AM

No love for Songs of Faith and Devotion?:) I love that album although I probably love Ultra just a tad more.

After that, it's Black Celebration for sure.

Most disappointing album for me...Exciter. I really expected something better after hearing what a great album Ultra is.

Michael

gp98 06-21-04 06:48 AM

Music for the Masses but it was the first record that I had by them so there is a huge bias.

wendersfan 06-21-04 08:23 AM

I agree completely with the original poster.

Brain Stew 06-21-04 08:30 AM

Violator

atlantamoi 06-21-04 08:43 AM

First got into them in '83, but I'd still go with "Violator". Still sounds great today.

Daytripper 06-21-04 09:01 AM

Originally posted by fiver
No love for Songs of Faith and Devotion?:) I love that album although I probably love Ultra just a tad more.

After that, it's Black Celebration for sure.

Most disappointing album for me...Exciter. I really expected something better after hearing what a great album Ultra is.

Michael

Not from me (love for "Song of Faith and Devotion" that is). I've been a fan of this group since 1981. And I thought that album (and era) was a huge misstep for them. I don't want Depeche Mode as a rock band. And I certainly don't want Dave Gahan looking like some strung out crack head. It was ridiculous seeing him look and act that way on stage singing those earlier pop songs. Didn't fit at all. Plus, I thought the album was mediocre at best. I hate both "I Feel You" and "Condemnation" with a passion. Two songs they continue to torture their fans with live. The only tracks I will play if I put the album on (which is rare) are "Mercy in You" (should have been a single!!!), "One Caress" and "Higher Love". I thought "Ultra" was their phoenix. In more ways than one. And while I think "Exciter" is a decent effort, it just doesn't feel complete to me. Most songs sound like demos. Too organic for me.

iggystar 06-21-04 12:26 PM

Hard choice. I think I'll go with Black Celebration, it's near-perfect, I like each song (of course some BC, Fly on the Windscreen are ones I love). My favorite song of that album....Here in the House. I feel this song is underrated. I'd heard other songs from them prior, but it was this one that pushed me from merely liking DM to loving them...a really sensual song IMO.

Can we just talk about how much I love "Shake the Disease". I think I warped the tape on that one. The beginning of their music excellence.

cdollaz 06-21-04 12:41 PM

Music For The Masses

Daytripper 06-21-04 01:23 PM

Originally posted by iggystar
Hard choice. I think I'll go with Black Celebration, it's near-perfect, I like each song (of course some BC, Fly on the Windscreen are ones I love). My favorite song of that album....Here in the House. I feel this song is underrated. I'd heard other songs from them prior, but it was this one that pushed me from merely liking DM to loving them...a really sensual song IMO.

Can we just talk about how much I love "Shake the Disease". I think I warped the tape on that one. The beginning of their music excellence.

Wow, my twin. "Here in the House" is my favorite song on "Black Celebration". And.... yes, let's talk about "Shake the Disease". My all-time favorite Depeche Mode song. Brilliant tune. If only they'd do that live again in concert. Back to "Black Celebration" for a second, I guess I'm in the minority by saying I actually like "New Dress". It's definitely my second favorite track on the album.

One last DM comment, who here would like to see them go back to mostly keyboards in concert with no drums, and NO back up singers? I would! Martin can play guitar from time to time of course. But how I miss the days when it just them behind those keyboards. And while the back up singers are quite good, I don't like to pay to hear THEM sing. They drown Dave and Martin out. They were fine and capable without them before. I also thought the drummer was quite excellent, but drums change the dynamics of the songs. It ruined "Black Celebration" on the Exciter tour.

iggystar 06-21-04 02:56 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper
Wow, my twin. "Here in the House" is my favorite song on "Black Celebration". And.... yes, let's talk about "Shake the Disease". My all-time favorite Depeche Mode song. Brilliant tune. If only they'd do that live again in concert. Back to "Black Celebration" for a second, I guess I'm in the minority by saying I actually like "New Dress". It's definitely my second favorite track on the album.

One last DM comment, who here would like to see them go back to mostly keyboards in concert with no drums, and NO back up singers? I would! Martin can play guitar from time to time of course. But how I miss the days when it just them behind those keyboards. And while the back up singers are quite good, I don't like to pay to hear THEM sing. They drown Dave and Martin out. They were fine and capable without them before. I also thought the drummer was quite excellent, but drums change the dynamics of the songs. It ruined "Black Celebration" on the Exciter tour.

That's totally tripping me out I didn't know anyone even paid attention two these songs besides me! We are twins! And I like New Dress too!

Unfortunately, I've only seen DM once and there were those background singers (the Singles tour). They didn't drown out Dave, but I was so excited to finally be at one of their concerts..... However, what I like about their sound is the synthesizers, the "electronic" for lack of better words. If I want drums and background singers I have other groups that can fill that need, so I can see what you mean.

darqleo 06-21-04 09:54 PM

Violator

The Antipodean 06-21-04 10:00 PM

I'll be different and say Depeche Mode 101. I'm not a huge live albums fan but this one just really does it for me, and great renditions of their songs.

iggystar 06-22-04 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I'll be different and say Depeche Mode 101. I'm not a huge live albums fan but this one just really does it for me, and great renditions of their songs.
I usually detest live albums/songs, the rendition of Everything Counts on 101 is one of my favorite songs by them.

DJLinus 06-22-04 01:47 PM

Oh, it's gotta be Songs of Faith and Devotion...Live.

Just kidding...that's probably one of my least favorite albums.

For me, it's a toss-up between Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion. The only time I've seen them live was in support of the latter, so that may have something to do for my feelings about it.

Close are Music For The Masses and Some Great Reward.

chanster 06-22-04 04:16 PM

Violator

cultshock 06-22-04 08:31 PM

For me, its Black Celebration (my favourite track would be either the title track or "Stripped") closely followed by Violator