DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Auf der Maur anyone? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/370582-auf-der-maur-anyone.html)

SomeVoices 06-19-04 04:34 AM

Auf der Maur anyone?

I guess this is a new band with the old bassist from Hole. They've been playing the single "Followed the Waves" on local radio here quite a bit. Of the few songs I've heard off the album, they all sound damn good. I may have to go check them out this week here in San Diego. Anybody else hear 'em?

Tscott 06-19-04 07:52 AM

Thumbs up from me. I hasn't left my car CD changer since I bought it. A lot of rocking songs on this one. The only thing I have a problem with it is I find the french version of 'Taste You' superior to the english version and wish it wasn't buried at the end as a hidden track.

BTW, I just checked out http://www.aufdermaur.com/ and found out I missed her apperance on Conan O'Brian last night. I'll have to catch the rerun. That site also has 3 videos for your veiwing pleasure and other fun stuff.

Frank TJ Mackey 06-19-04 09:05 AM

I was lucky enough to meet Melissa Auf der Maur a couple of weeks ago, and got to chat with her for a few minutes.

If you've read any of the many articles on her recently, they all say how grounded and nice she is.......and they're right.

What a genuinely sweet person she is.

She also has a really good stage presence, especially considering she's basically been in the background all these years with Hole, Smashing Pumpkins etc.

The album's pretty good too.

Mr. Salty 06-19-04 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Tscott
BTW, I just checked out http://www.aufdermaur.com/ and found out I missed her apperance on Conan O'Brian last night. I'll have to catch the rerun.
It should repeat Monday on Comedy Central.

SomeVoices 06-19-04 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Tscott
BTW, I just checked out http://www.aufdermaur.com/ and found out I missed her apperance on Conan O'Brian last night. I'll have to catch the rerun. That site also has 3 videos for your veiwing pleasure and other fun stuff.
I was able to catch it last night and it was a good performance. BTW, she is smokin' hot. I picked up the CD today and I've liked what I"ve heard so far. It's not often I find a consistently good rock CD with a female singer.

PalmerJoss 06-20-04 01:11 AM

I spotted this in the store the other day, so I gave it a listen at one of the listening stations. Pretty good IMO, and when I get some more money I'll be picking it up.

TheMadMonk 06-20-04 09:22 AM

I thought their performance on Conan was just awful.

atlantamoi 06-20-04 09:41 AM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
I thought their performance on Conan was just awful.
It really was. She is smokin' hot, but the vocals were weak and the song sounded like a retread.

Buford T Pusser 06-22-04 01:00 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
It should repeat Monday on Comedy Central.
Damn you to hell for not mentioning their repeats are on early in the evening. 6PM EDT. I came home at 7 PM ready to tape. :(

If you're still reading this, do you have her disc? Like it?

Mr. Salty 06-22-04 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Damn you to hell for not mentioning their repeats are on early in the evening. 6PM EDT. I came home at 7 PM ready to tape. :(
You really need a TiVo.

If you're still reading this, do you have her disc? Like it?
No, I don't, and I'm a lot more likely to buy Wilco's new CD and the DVD of "Badder Santa" today than Auf Der Maur.

But I'll hit up Mr. Mackey, whose desk is about 20 feet from mine at work, to borrow his copy so I can give it a spin.

By they way, anyone know why she dropped the Melissa? AT first I thought she was going with Auf Der Maur as a band name, but Conan used it as her name without the Melissa.

Buford T Pusser 06-23-04 11:56 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
You really need a TiVo.

Hmmm

No, I don't, and I'm a lot more likely to buy Wilco's new CD and the DVD of "Badder Santa" today than Auf Der Maur.

I picked up Brian Wilson's new solo album.

But I'll hit up Mr. Mackey, whose desk is about 20 feet from mine at work, to borrow his copy so I can give it a spin.

By they way, anyone know why she dropped the Melissa? AT first I thought she was going with Auf Der Maur as a band name, but Conan used it as her name without the Melissa.

majorjoe23 06-24-04 12:34 PM

Does the CD have the cover of "Every Rose Has it's Thorn" from Run Ronnie Run? I wish that movie had a soundtrack, I need that and "Ass-Kicking Fat Kid."

dvduser6 06-24-04 03:44 PM

I just picked this up yesterday. Pretty good so far. I loved her background vocals and basslines on Hole's "Celebrity Skin", so I was glad to finally see her put out some music on her own. For those in the L.A. area, she is performing at the Troubadour tomorrw night (6/25). She then will be back to do an in-store appearance at Amoeba Music on 7/7. I'll try to catch the Amoeba gig. Nothing like a petite woman playing a long-scale bass :)

cultshock 06-24-04 05:03 PM

Its a good album. She's pretty cool, and I too have heard that she is very nice in person. I saw her in concert once, but it was with her temporary (?) Black Sabbath cover band "Hand of Doom"

I'm pretty sure that she still goes by "Melissa". Maybe Conan just made a mistake.

ChrisKnudsen 06-24-04 06:33 PM

no.

SomeVoices 06-25-04 04:06 AM

Just got back from their concert in San Diego. Great show. They didn't go on till after 12, but they made the wait worth it. They even caught me by surprise when they did a cover of Failure's "Sergeant Politeness". The girl guitar player also ate it during this song when she tripped on a cord or something. Hopefully my hearing will be back to normal tomorrow :)

dvduser6 06-25-04 11:18 AM

SomeVoices - Thanks for the quick review. They're playing the Troubador tonight, but I already have other plans. I'm definitely going to catch her in-store at Amoeba on the 7th, though. BTW-are any of the QOTSA members playing with her, or did they just appear on the CD only?

dvduser6 07-07-04 11:35 AM

Just a quick bump for anybody in the L.A. area. She will be performing at a free in-store appearance at Amoeba Music tonight at 7pm. I also caught her performance on Leno last night. Can't wait to check it out. Hopefully she'll sign autographs after the show.

dvduser6 07-08-04 01:57 AM

Just got home after an amazing but brief show by MADM. She and the band were stellar! They opened the 7 song set with the Failure cover. I was completely riveted the whole time. She then signed autographs for the audience about 10 minutes after the performance. I have to say I've only met a small handful of musicians after concerts or at in-store appeaeances, but Melissa was one of the most down-to-earth, most sincere, warmest person you could ever meet. You can tell even talking to her breifly that music is truly her passion and that she so thankful to be out performing for an audieince. I certainly hope more people give her a listen. I need to get my Curiosa tickets ASAP just so I can see her band perform again.

DonnachaOne 10-15-04 12:03 PM

Saw her Spet. 17 with the Von Bondies in CHicago.

She was terrible. Uninspired everything.

Worse, she's terrible with a crowd, sounding half asleep when she shouts out - which is between every song.

"We're Auf Der Maaaaur from Montreal, Canada........aaaa...a..."

Repeat ad nauseum.

leepyswetr 10-15-04 07:29 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Saw her Spet. 17 with the Von Bondies in CHicago.

She was terrible. Uninspired everything.

Glad I forgot to go to that.

I thought she was good at Curiousa; of course that was compared to Interpol.