DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Creed goes out suing...strippers. Janet joins in... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/369137-creed-goes-out-suing-strippers-janet-joins.html)

Rogue588 06-11-04 03:09 AM

Creed goes out suing...strippers. Janet joins in...

Hit Makers Sue Strip Club

Scott Stapp, lead singer for the rock group Creed has joined with superstar Janet Jackson and several less famous artists, to sue a Clearwater, Florida, strip club they claim is playing "unauthorized music." The artists state they never performed just for the fun of it, they want to get paid -- and now they want the club, Diamond Dolls, to pay for what they play.

The artists claim Diamond Dolls let its strippers dance to their recorded music but failed to pay a required licensing fee to BMI, Broadcast Music, Inc., which pays royalties to songwriters.

Top music attorney Jeff Blum, of Los Angeles' Davis, Wright and Termaine Law Firm, says bars and clubs are charged a reasonable amount of money, which goes to protect not only the rich and famous, but also the struggling artists.

"Music is not free, and it shouldn't be," Blum told us. "Creators of music are suffering because people are not complying with copyright law and have a belief that if music is out there, they can do whatever they want with it."

Diamond Dolls denies the charges. But BMI, who is the lead plaintiff in the case, claims to have actually sent in researchers to monitor clubs that won't pay the fee. When a club plays one of the 4.5 million copyrighted songs registered without having paid performance fees, BMI moves into action.

BMI officials tell us Diamond Dolls' fees would have amounted to less than $1,000 a year, and insist that they only sued after the club ignored repeated warnings.
Guess Janet's trying to compensate for the weak sales of the crappy album she just released...and Creed...well, that's just too easy...

Michael Corvin 06-11-04 06:49 AM

Don't strippers always dance to music? So they want royalties for every time some stripper in podunk arkansas plays one of their crappy songs? Get a life. :rolleyes:

Cyberock 06-11-04 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Don't strippers always dance to music? So they want royalties for every time some stripper in podunk arkansas plays one of their crappy songs? Get a life. :rolleyes:
Why should the stripper have the right to make money dancing to a song and the artist doesn't? Stripping is a business so it should have to pay a fee. I also believe the royalties are fairly cheap, something like 7 cents a song per play. 7 cents from what that stripper just made in tips is nothing. Though that 7 cents from every club in the U.S. starts to add up to the artist and they should have the right to collect.

Deftones 06-11-04 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Cyberock
Why should the stripper have the right to make money dancing to a song and the artist doesn't? Stripping is a business so it should have to pay a fee. I also believe the royalties are fairly cheap, something like 7 cents a song per play. 7 cents from what that stripper just made in tips is nothing. Though that 7 cents from every club in the U.S. starts to add up to the artist and they should have the right to collect.
So hang on a second. If they turned on the radio and danced to that, they'd have to pay also? Please.

Rogue588 06-11-04 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Cyberock
Yes, cuz everyone knows that you go to strip clubs to listen to the music...

DAC 06-11-04 10:24 AM

Do bars/nightclubs have to pay this same fee?

cungar 06-11-04 11:02 AM

Isn't it sacreligious to grub for money when you're a multimillionare prick?

benedict 06-11-04 11:19 AM

Don't know about USA but in UK where recorded music is played in a shop [or wherever] the proprietor is obliged to purchase an annual Performing Rights license.

The money money so gathered is shared out among artistes. Not sure of the exact fee or the formula employed but it is not extortionate.

Josh H 06-11-04 11:35 AM

Originally posted by DAC
Do bars/nightclubs have to pay this same fee?
I'm pretty sure DJs are supposed to pay fees, as are cover bands.

Cyberock 06-11-04 11:41 AM

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
So hang on a second. If they turned on the radio and danced to that, they'd have to pay also? Please.
If they are making money while doing it...Definitely! If they feel the music doesn't add to their performance, then dance with no music or find some unsigned band. They obviously feel the music adds to their routine and that's why they pick these songs.

Originally posted by cungar
Isn't it sacreligious to grub for money when you're a multimillionare prick?

You're genralizing. Not all bands are multimillionare pricks. If you say this band doesn't need the money, where does it stop? What about that struggling artist that is counting on every penny they can get just to survive. I think a lot of people look at the few and assume if you're a musician with a record deal, you're making tons of money and don't need the petty things like strip clubs to pay royalties. I use to promote local bands and saw the hell they went through after getting signed trying to make ends meet. They spends hours and hours in the recording studios, rehearsing, going through tons of crap and trying to hold a job just so they can pay their rent each month. I agree that Janet and that former lead prick of Creed probably doesn't need the money but if you take it away from them, you're going to take this some amount of money from artists who really need it.

Groucho 06-11-04 11:45 AM

Does this mean that Pearl Jam sued the same club last week?

The Dude 06-11-04 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Does this mean that Pearl Jam sued the same club last week?
:lol:

That joke just never gets tired!

DRG 06-11-04 01:25 PM

I'm still trying to get over the idea that she was stripping to Creed. :lol:

Michael Corvin 06-11-04 02:23 PM

Originally posted by TheDude
:lol:

That joke just never gets tired!

No it doesn't. And yes Scott Stapp is a multimillionaire prick.

Groucho 06-11-04 02:26 PM

Originally posted by DRG
I'm still trying to get over the idea that she was stripping to Creed. :lol:
With legs wide open...

Cyberock 06-11-04 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
With legs wide open...
rotfl

POWERBOMB 06-11-04 10:49 PM

I believe that any establishment (clubs, grocery stores and even places that play Muzac) all pay a fee to these music organization. Of course I don't know how these organizations know that Creed music was played x amount of times in a month. It's possible that the money goes into a pool and all artist are paid equally.

stevevt 06-12-04 10:41 AM

This is terrible.

If the strip club loses, it may be forced to raise drink prices from their current rock-bottom levels.

Zodo 06-12-04 10:44 AM

Quick question: what about if the song is selected off of a jukebox?

POWERBOMB 06-12-04 11:19 PM

Jukebox company already pays these record company to put their music in there.

sergtv 06-13-04 12:56 AM

this is dumb! it's kind of like a free plug.. you get all kinds of genre's at strip clubs.. what if x amount of customers become fans of what they are listning too.. i know i had never heard tool till i went to a stip club.. been a fan ever since :) can't the stippers sue for all the free advertising they have given them.. sounds dumb! but so is there law suit

turborobb 06-15-04 05:40 AM

wow, not even Gene Simmons is THAT greedy.

isn't it free advertising for the bands? That bands should be paying the strip clubs.

Michael Corvin 06-15-04 07:28 AM

Originally posted by turborobb
wow, not even Gene Simmons is THAT greedy.

rotfl He is kicking himself right now that he didn't think of it first.

Obey The D 06-15-04 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
rotfl Lars is kicking himself right now that he didn't think of it first.
fixed :)

countedcrow 06-15-04 02:26 PM

This is ridiculous! If the club/bar buys the CD the band/record label gets paid end of story. Also, the band/record label in essence receives free promotion from having their music played in these establishments, which I assume would actually promote sales. And they wonder why sales are down. Could it be greed?