DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Velvet Revolver - Contraband 6/8/04 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/368550-velvet-revolver-contraband-6-8-04-a.html)

DAC 06-08-04 06:48 PM

Well, I have been listening to the VH1 streams and have been less than impressed. I was looking foreward to this, but now am not sure I will even buy it. Like most have said here already, pretty bland, nothing stands out. :(

Thunderball 06-08-04 08:35 PM

Jesus. I don't understand you guys.

This CD is great. I love it.

sinister 06-08-04 09:47 PM

sounds great to me. very good album.

dvduser6 06-08-04 10:18 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball

I'm with you on this one. Sounds like the GNR band w/Scott Weiland singing. Exactly the way I thought it would be. I wonder if everyone was expecting a radical departure from both GNR and STP. For me, it's just fantastic to hear the GNR band members back together. Slash's guitar tones are fantastic, Duff's back with his trademark bass-style, and Matt's drumming is tight. I think Scott was an excellent match with these guys. I only hope that he makes a sincere effort to keep himself clean. I think they could write some amazing material to follow up this debut.

Osiris 06-09-04 01:20 AM

Good rock.

Cyberock 06-09-04 01:28 AM

I would have to agree that it is a great cd. I really like Sucker Train Blues. The rest are good but that one really sticks out to me. I don't really care for Loving the Alien. I was really disappointed with the copy protection crap on it since I like to copy my cds to my nex II (mp3 player) so I can take it to the gym. I was glad to find out how to get around that copy protection. I'm going to their concert tomorrow night, really looking forward to it.

Flashback 06-09-04 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Thunderball

Nothing wrong with that...you like it and that's all that matters...just like I don't like what I have heard so far (it's not awful just not that good IMHO)....it will not stop you from enjoying it....just opinions :)

SnoopDogg 06-09-04 09:51 AM

I love the album, but I have always loved STP and GNR so its a good fit.

Josh H 06-09-04 11:49 AM

I like it as well. It's not great, as there are no stand out tracks IMO, but all the tracks are good. Just good, simple rock music.

I didn't have high expectations for this, I love STP (which is why I bought it) but never cared for GnR at all, so I had reservations. Thus I guess I was pleasantly surprised that it sounds more like STP than GnR to me.

ESUguy 06-09-04 02:26 PM

I bought this album yesterday, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm glad to see regular rock making a comeback.

Anyone else think that Weiland sounds a bit like Alice Cooper in his Poison days?

Josh H 06-09-04 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Cyberock
Nevermind, I found a way around this whole thing. It was really easy to disable that stupid copy protection driver and now I can listen to it on my computer.
Nevermind, I found instruction on how to do it, here they are for anyone else.

Start with a Windows 2000/XP system with empty CD drives. Be sure to reboot the computer first to ensure MediaMax is not running.

1. Click the Start button and select Control Panel from the Start Menu (or just right click My Computer, hit properties and then go to step 3).

2. Double-click on the System control panel icon.

3. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.

4. Configure Device Manager by clicking "Show hidden devices" and "Devices by connection," both from the View menu.

5. Insert the CD into the computer and allow the SunnComm software to start. Observe that the SbcpHid device driver is added to the Device Manager list when MediaMax runs for the first time.

Next, follow these additional steps to disable MediaMax:

1. Select the SbcpHid driver from the Device Manager list and click "Properties" from the Action Menu.

2. Click the Driver tab and click the Stop button to disable the driver.

slop101 06-09-04 05:32 PM

I dunno - it seems kind of like Tenacious D, only without the irony.

It definitly sounds like a cross between GnR & STP, but not quite as good as either - the sum is less than the parts.

The lyrics are horrible. Slash still sounds good though.

DAC 06-09-04 08:45 PM

Well, I should note that I never really like STP that much, nor Weilands voice so that is why I think I was not too impressed with this.

sataniko 06-10-04 01:47 PM

I'm a really big fan of GN'R and specially Slash, but not that big of STP and Weiland. I'll still buy the CD, but mainly to complete my collection and to hear Slash and the other GN'R guys.

Anyways, this morning I tried 2 Best Buy's, 2 Circuit City's and 1 Target stores and the album was sold out in all of them. At best buy one of the sales persons told they might get it back in stock by Saturday :(

gnradd21 06-10-04 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I like it as well. It's not great, as there are no stand out tracks IMO, but all the tracks are good. Just good, simple rock music.

I didn't have high expectations for this, I love STP (which is why I bought it) but never cared for GnR at all, so I had reservations. Thus I guess I was pleasantly surprised that it sounds more like STP than GnR to me.

I'm exactly the opposite, GnR are one of my top 5 favorite bands ever, but STP have never been more to me than just pretty good. They were one of the better 90s bands that emerged in the early 90s, but that's about it for me.

I don't think any of the songs on the VR album are all that amazing, but "Slither", "Big Machine", and "Sucker Train Blues" are my favorites. The album to me isn't all that different from Slash's Snakepit stuff. The only real difference is that Scott is a better singer than any of the vocalists Slash had in his band. It doesrock, you can say, but to me it's not all that exciting or unpredictable. At times it just seemed like generic hard rock with some great solos and Weiland's artsy-fartsy stylings thrown in here and there.

I definitely think that it was Izzy and Axl who were the better songwriters in Gnr, so that is lacking somewhat with VR. Although some of his stuff with STP was great, Scott can also write some really lame and pretentious shit (most likely when he's high off his mind on smack). I really think this band could have been so much better if Izzy had been involved (I heard he was at first when it was called "The Project"). The JuJu Hounds record and 117 degrees are both great rock albums.

But overall, I'm definitely happy to see VR getting some good press. It's nice to see Slash and Duff back in the spotlight again and looking good. I did get irritated with Scott's cheesy rock star posing and wasted look in the "Slither" video, but I'm kinda used to it with him. I just hope he stays clean, for himself and for the guys in the band who are depending on him to be there.

Josh H 06-10-04 03:38 PM

Having listened to it a few times through now, I really like it. There's still no jump out tracks really, though a few are starting to emerge.

It's a lot better than most of the crap on the radio and music videos now, and the album has no bad songs IMO, which is a rare thing.

Absolut 06-10-04 04:20 PM

I'll admit it. The album has grown on me too. Still kind of sounds generic to me but it can be a fun listen. I'd say a 3/5 is about right for it.

benedict 06-13-04 08:07 AM

Not that I'm a real fan of any of the people involved but I wonder what this combo would have been like had they plumped for Sebastian Bach as vocalist.

Applejack 06-13-04 10:27 AM

Originally posted by benedict
Not that I'm a real fan of any of the people involved but I wonder what this combo would have been like had they plumped for Sebastian Bach as vocalist.

I think it probably would have pushed it over the edge toward cheezy 80s metal and it likely would have sucked.

Assuming that Bach still has the same voice, but most of the high pitched screamers like that seem to sound a little rough after 15 or so years, and don't quite hit the notes as well.

auto 06-14-04 04:26 PM

Velvet Revolver vs. Audioslave

Discuss.

Quake1028 06-14-04 04:30 PM

So, is this thing worth my $10?

Applejack 06-14-04 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Quake1028
So, is this thing worth my $10?
I think so.

gross@iastate 06-14-04 10:00 PM

Originally posted by jay77
Velvet Revolver vs. Audioslave

Discuss.

Although Velvet Revolver has grown on me the last couple days, it just isn't that great.

Audioslave, hands down.

Applejack 06-14-04 10:07 PM

I saw that the album is projected to sell at least 250,000 copies and debut at #1 on the billboard charts this week.

It probably won't last long as the new Beastie Boys record comes out next week, but it is still above expectations.

I wanted to drive to Dallas to see them next weekend, but it is sold out. I bet it would have been an awesome show :(

As far as the Audioslave v. Velvet Revolver albums, both are great, but with the exception of the fact that both are the meshing of 2 good bands they don't have to much in common.

You don't have to choose one or the other, just enjoy both.

turborobb 06-15-04 04:41 AM

I love hair metal and hate grunge.

which direction does this album go? does it sound like real rock or depressing grunge?