Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Linkin Park - Yay or nay?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Linkin Park...do you like them?
Yay
40.44%
Nay
52.94%
Used to like them, don't anymore
4.41%
I prefer Twikoff Park
2.21%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Linkin Park - Yay or nay?

Old 06-01-04, 06:07 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neutral
Old 06-01-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

seems like most replies are positive yet the poll says otherwise.
Old 06-02-04, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YAY for the simple fact they chose
Ghostface Killah to be on the second stage for their
summer little festival thingy with Korn and Snoop Dogg.

they also added Funeral For A Friend on the second stage (a solid hard rock choice).
Old 06-02-04, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
NAY
Old 06-03-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
Linkin Park is a pathetic excuse for a band. I could list over a dozen reasons why they simply flat-out suck as a band but by now, in the year 2004, it just isn't worth my time.
*Translated: I dont know what the hell I'm talking about.

Please enlighten me I'd love to hear what you have to say, unless of course you dont have over a dozen reasons. It always amazes me when people say they could list reasons for something but dont.
Old 06-03-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

big nay
Old 06-03-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nay for the rock and roll boy band.
Old 06-03-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

YAY!!! One of best bands to come out over the last 5 years.Saw them in January and will see them again in July.Lyrical they arent as strong but musically (guitars,drums,emceeing,vocals) they are a perfect fit and are stronger than 99% of anything out right now.In five years they will still be dominating the charts.I htink alot of people snobbishly rule out any band that recieves mainstream "pop" success. They are one of the few groups who have a strong fanbase in several genres (hip hop, metal,rock,pop,alternative)
Old 06-04-04, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A big time Nay. Why? There is too many good bands under the radar for me to listen to and discover, to pay attention to this wwwwaaaayyyyy overexposed band, whose mediocre anyway.
Old 06-04-04, 02:01 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by gmal2003
they are a perfect fit and are stronger than 99% of anything out right now.

Turn MTV off right away.
Old 06-04-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
liked their first cd a bit, but it got old pretty fast.
Old 06-05-04, 11:20 AM

I don't have a problem with people who listen to them, but i personally think they are the rap-metal Morrissey. And that is not a compliment.
Old 06-07-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool

Turn MTV off right away.
This is the snobbery that I am talking about. Simply put, everyone has there own taste in music, but Ill take a track from LP over nearly anyone out, including your obscure,low quality,catchy named,anti-mainstream,no deal, bands out there. Trust me, you swap LP with an obscure band as regards exposure and the comments made about Lp would be spewed out on the obscure band whereas LP would be praised and would be the "lemme mention the lesser known band to sound unique and try to prove I know more about music" group.
Old 06-07-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Simply put, your attempts to lionize LP by stating that you'd take a track by them over nearly anything else out there (this encompasses quite a bit BTW), is myopic snobbery at its finest. Ironic.
Old 06-07-04, 02:34 AM

I thought they were good when the genre was emerging. Hybrid Theory was good for about a month then I put it away never to return and listen again. Reanimation was cheaply thrown together in the sense that the fans waited 2 years for a new album and instead was thrown a remix of what they already had. Fans waited again for a little less than a year until when Meteora came out and that's when I heard "Somewhere I Belong" and thought it was good. However, listening to the album I thought the content was too predictable in terms of song structure and much like HT I finally put it away since local radio station KROQ plays their stuff way too much. I finally got fed-up with them after I continuously heard "My December" (a song featured 3 years in a row on KROQ's x-mas CD's) played almost daily until April/May.

So I'm

Last edited by DLogic; 06-07-04 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-07-04, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by DLogic
I thought they were good when the genre was emerging. Hybrid Theory was good for about a month then I put it away never to return and listen again. Reanimation was cheaply thrown together in the sense that the fans waited 2 years for a new album and instead was thrown a remix of what they already had. Fans waited again for a little less than a year until when Meteora came out and that's when I heard "Somewhere I Belong" and thought it was good. However, listening to the album I thought the content was too predictable in terms of song structure and much like HT I finally put it away since local radio station KROQ plays their stuff way too much. I finally got fed-up with them after I continuously heard "My December" played almost daily until April/May.

So I'm
So basicly radio killed it for you? basicly?
Old 06-07-04, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by meritocracy
Simply put, your attempts to lionize LP by stating that you'd take a track by them over nearly anything else out there (this encompasses quite a bit BTW), is myopic snobbery at its finest. Ironic.
Not quite, the basis on which I make that statement is solely on what Ive heard, not biased, or exclusionary factors such as if there a "pop" band, or how many times they are played on the radio.Those factors IMO constitute as "music snobbery". I know there might be quite a few bands that do LP better than LP, but I havent heard it. I have no problem searching for new groups and embracing them, I do quite often. Its not aboout being "myopic" its just about what I like.You guys should really stop letting radio kill music for ya. Any good song or popular song will undoubtedly be overplayed.I cut the radio on for music every so often to find out new songs or artist.If I already have the song or have heard it alot lately Ill usually cut it off to avoid letting a song that I like becoming a song that I loathe.

Last edited by gmal2003; 06-07-04 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 12:49 PM
Suspended

This is the snobbery that I am talking about.
And you saying LP are better than 99.9% of everyone is not????

yeah ok
Old 06-07-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Everyone? Maybe not. Almost Everyone IVE heard? Yeah. If thats snobbery, everyone who has a favorite band is a snob because if they are their favorite then they like them better than 100% of bands they've heard.
Old 06-07-04, 01:02 PM
Retired

Everyone? Maybe not. Almost Everyone IVE heard? Yeah. If thats snobbery, everyone who has a favorite band is a snob because if they are their favorite then they like them better than 100% of bands they've heard.
Exactly. I think the only snobbery in this thread are the people bashing people that like LP.
Old 06-07-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great point!!!!!!!! Thats what what Ive been trying to say the whole time. If you dont like what I like, youre a snob, idiot, etc...

Its not about If you like them or not, its the why that bothers me sometimes. Because theyre on the radio alot? Cut it off. I wouldnt watch the same movie over and over just because its on the TV all day. I do realize tho that overexposure can sometimes make a decent song bad, but if I really liked a song (or band) the radio would never kill it for me.

Last edited by gmal2003; 06-07-04 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 01:29 PM
Suspended

btw I have nothing against LP. I liked a few songs off their first album, but grew tired of them very quickly. I just thought the 99.9% comment was pretty far out there thats all. You didn't say "That I've heard" in your original post
Old 06-07-04, 05:26 PM

I've only heard the songs that have been on the radio and I consider those pretty bad. They just sound like pre-packaged angst for disgruntled adolescents. They seem to be saying the same thing that a hundred other bands are saying and saying it exactly the same way. The songs convey more of a marketing strategy than any real pain or sense of alienation. Maybe their non-radio songs have more depth, it's entirely possible, but somehow I doubt it.
Old 06-08-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Not typically the kind of music I listen to. But they went up several notches in my book when I found out they were huge Depeche Mode fans And they're also remixing one the Mode's songs on their remix album out this Fall.
Old 06-08-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I liked Hybrid Theory when I first got it. I found a lot of the tracks to have the same sound so the CD got old pretty fast. Then I heard a few tracks off Reanimation and that just wasn't my thing. And then I heard their new studio album, Meteora, and it sounded a lot like Hybrid Theory so I didn't bother with the band anymore.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.