DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   R.I.P. Bradley Nowell - 8 years ago today. :( (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/366223-r-i-p-bradley-nowell-8-years-ago-today.html)

Bust 05-25-04 09:50 PM

R.I.P. Bradley Nowell - 8 years ago today. :(

If I had a shotgun, know what I'd do,
I'd point that shit straight up at the sky
and shoot heaven on down to you
Oh well the bars are always open, and the time is always right
And if God's good word goes unspoken, well the music goes all night

Bust 05-25-04 09:54 PM

http://www.skunk.com/sublime/pictures/posterpic.jpg

DJLinus 05-25-04 10:18 PM

I was a HUGE Sublime fan in college. They were playing about 75 miles from my school, but I didn't make the trip because it was a 21 & over show and I had no fake ID or anything. Then Bradley OD'ed a month or two later. I really wish I would've at least tried to go to the show.

Bradley's not a hero of mine - the combination of having a family and the drug problem really tarnished my image of him. Still, he put out some great music.

woofman 05-26-04 10:59 AM

Originally posted by DJLinus
Bradley's not a hero of mine - the combination of having a family and the drug problem really tarnished my image of him. Still, he put out some great music.
I agree.

Gdrlv 05-26-04 12:47 PM

I picked up 40oz. to Freedom right when it came out and was lucky enough to get the original version with the "Rawhide" theme on it and quite a few samples that were taken off subsequent versions. That was my freshman year of college, and that's probably my most listened-to CD ever.

The man made amazing music...However, my opinion of him changed due to the overdose as well. He left this world right as his band was about to explode and right after his daughter was born. What a missed opportunity...

Cusm 05-26-04 01:24 PM

His and Shannon Hoon's ODs really sucked for the music world, and there was no reason for either, stupid-stupid deaths.

I love the lyrics for one of their songs in the CD cover, the lyrics are all written out, then when the song is in spanish, it is simply written "learn spanish".

auto 05-26-04 06:35 PM

Lying in my plasic bed
thinkin how things weren't so cool to me
My baby likes to shoot pool
I like lying naked in my bedroom
Tying on the dinosaur
tonight it used to be so cool

Now I've got the needle
and I can't shake but I can't breathe
Take it away and I want more and more
One day I'm gonna lose the war

Lying in my plasic bed
thinkin how things weren't so cool to me
My baby likes to shoot pool
I like lying naked in my bedroom

Tying on the dinosaur
tonight it used to be so cool

Now I've got the needle
and I can't shake
but I can't breathe

Take it away and but I want more and more
One day I'm gonna lose the war

Sad day. RIP Bradley.

huh? 06-02-04 06:27 AM

Addiction is a sickness, you should be sad that he couldn't get it under control, not blame him for his inability to do so.

DJLinus 06-02-04 12:37 PM

Originally posted by huh?
Addiction is a sickness, you should be sad that he couldn't get it under control, not blame him for his inability to do so.
If it is indeed a sickness, it is one that is entirely preventable by not using in the first place. I have no problem with him using hard drugs. I'm of the belief that anyone can do whatever they want to their bodies as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. When kids are entered into the equation, though, it's really sad and irresponsible.

I hate that this society is ever increasingly happy to eliminate personal responsibility and assumption of the risk. It's a real pet peeve of mine, only heightened by my research for a paper that I did on the anti-smoking movement last semester.

WestEndRiot 06-02-04 10:33 PM

If it is indeed a sickness, it is one that is entirely preventable by not using in the first place. I have no problem with him using hard drugs. I'm of the belief that anyone can do whatever they want to their bodies as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. When kids are entered into the equation, though, it's really sad and irresponsible.

I hate that this society is ever increasingly happy to eliminate personal responsibility and assumption of the risk. It's a real pet peeve of mine, only heightened by my research for a paper that I did on the anti-smoking movement last semester.

very well said.

funkyryno 06-03-04 06:46 AM

I hate that this society is ever increasingly happy to eliminate personal responsibility and assumption of the risk.

I agree to a point. A lot of it comes down to personal choice and responsibility.

However, I can easily empathize with people who **** their lives up by abusing drugs and alcohol. It's happened to many of my family members and close friends. I have the personality, perhaps the genetic make-up, that makes me prone to chemical addictions -- and I've had plenty of exposure to these substance that have brought me pretty close to the edge. But I've made choices and decisions that have kept me with a somewhat stable and succesful life.

I try to not judge people too harshly who make stupid decisions that mess up their lives. On the other hand, I think when people screw up other people's lives with their drug problems, they bear the responsibilty and deserve blame.

slop101 06-03-04 09:41 AM

I used to know him - we had some mutual friends. When we heard that he had died we were not the least bit surprised nor did we need to guess as to how. It was a real tragedy as he left behind a baby. But it would have happened eventually - everytime I had ran into him he was either drunk or high, and not just a little. He was really out of control. My heart goes out to his family, but he was just a talented F-up.