DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Anyone else going to Madonna? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/366073-anyone-else-going-madonna.html)

digitalfreaknyc 05-25-04 08:36 AM

Anyone else going to Madonna?

Just curious...

Going 3 times (just bought another ticket this morning)

June 17th
June 23rd
July 4th

Anyone else?

Jack's Smirking 05-25-04 09:12 AM

Nope (not really my cup of tea). However, our administrative assistant is flying up from Tampa to see her in the Garden. Does she count?

She did the same thing the last time Madonna toured, only I think the concert was in the Meadowlands. She talked about nothing else for 3 months, she drove us crazy with it, and when she got off the plane, her friends told her that Madonna had gotten sick and canceled the show. rotfl Still makes the whole office laugh (we're kind of mean).

Hope you enjoy the shows. :)

whynotsmile 05-25-04 10:13 AM

damn man, how much did you freakin spend for 3 tickets?!

digitalfreaknyc 05-25-04 10:39 AM

I got the mid-price seats-- $154...which translates into $170 with Ticketmaster fees. Not bad, considering I have friends that are still paying off their credit card bills from the last tour.

Yes, that show was one of the few (possibly only) ones that got cancelled. I saw her twice at the Garden on that tour. I liked it, but not enough to go more. I had two other tickets but got rid of them one way or another. This one...too many greatest hits being performed.

Madonna is my all-time favorite performer. There's only so many more years left where she can perform Material Girl and not look like a fool. Right now, she's working the ironic angle which I'm sure will be fabulous. As she gets older, irony will turn into foolishness.

I guess I'm also just bitter for never having seen the Blonde Ambition tour which the best she has ever been.

Rogue588 05-25-04 11:58 AM

I like M, but the combination of ridiculous ticket prices and lack of interest in the "theatrics" of this tour turned me off..

I'll catch it on TV..

digitalfreaknyc 05-25-04 12:43 PM

What do you mean the "theatrics" of this tour? It just started last night! Did you even see clips yet?

It will be on TV. ****ing CBS. That means it will be commercial-laden and censored. Not to mention edited.

digitalfreaknyc 05-25-04 12:55 PM

The Set List alone is enough to satisfy...

The Beast Within
Vogue
Nobody Knows Me
Frozen
American Life
Express Yourself
Burning Up
Material Girl
Hollywood
Hanky Panky
Deeper and Deeper
Die Another Day
Lament
Bedtime Story
Nothing Fails
Don't Tell Me
Like A Prayer
Mother and Father
Imagine
Into the Groove
Papa Don't Preach
Crazy For You
Music
Holiday

POWERBOMB 05-25-04 02:04 PM

Hugh Madonna fan, but she isn't coming to my town for the second consectutive tour. I am concernced that she is taking a political minded approach with this show. The thing I always enjoyed about her tours were that seeing them live made me feel as though I were apart of something the people outside the arena walls couldn't even imagine. Now she is basically the 10 o'clock evening news.

Guess I'll wait for the CBS and eventual DVD of the tour.

Rogue588 05-25-04 02:25 PM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
What do you mean the "theatrics" of this tour? It just started last night! Did you even see clips yet?

It will be on TV. ****ing CBS. That means it will be commercial-laden and censored. Not to mention edited.

Read the reports in newspapers. Saw the reports [and some rehearsal footage] on Access Hollywood, Extra and [possibly] ET.

Here's one:

Madonna's New Tour Is Most Shocking Yet

If you were shocked by Madonna's lesbian lip-lock with Britney Spears during the MTV awards, don't go within spitting distance of her upcoming "Re-Invention" tour.

Madonna — who opens the tour on Monday in L.A. — doesn't skip a beat in making sure the $1 million-plus production is her most outrageous yet, complete with an electric chair, nearly nude pregnant women and plenty of lesbian love, according to reports out of London yesterday.

The show reportedly opens with a frisky Madonna simulating sex with a female tango dancer — which is quaint compared with other segments of the "Re-Invention" show.

When she sings "Papa Don't Preach," she'll be backed by a chorus line of scantily clad, heavily pregnant babes.

That ought to provide comic relief from the setup for "American Life," when the audience gets to hear the sounds of bombs dropping and watch a video montage of troops battling in Iraq.

A video of sickly, starving children will reportedly unspool while Madonna delivers her cover of the John Lennon classic "Imagine."

But the kicker to the provocative production promises to be the sizzling finale.

After she wraps her rendition of "Lament," the lights will go down and, following a flash-storm of fireworks, Madonna will reappear strapped into an electric chair and writhing to escape, according to reports.

She rises from the dead and sings her sentimental, Kabbalah-inspired lullaby, "Bedtime Story."

An estimated 750,000 people in the U.S. are expected to see the extravaganza — which hits Madison Square Garden for six shows from June 16 to 24, at ticket prices ranging from $65 to $930. CBS is planning a concert special based on the tour, though no air date has been set.

"The last tour was so visually extravagant and teeming with so much violence and hostility, it's hard to believe this tour can be more outrageous," says Joe Levy, deputy managing editor at Rolling Stone magazine and noted Madonna follower.

"Madonna always has a message to put across. Some people get the message, others don't - but everyone gets a fair amount of value for their entertainment dollar.''

Just about the only thing about the "Re-Invention" tour that's not jolting is Madonna's choice of wardrobe designers, which is safe rather than spectacular.

Stella McCartney and Karl Lagerfeld are on the lineup, as are Dolce & Gabbana, Miu Miu and Jimmy Choo, according to Women's Wear Daily, which revealed a first glimpse of Madonna's costume yesterday.

The one surprise is Madonna's jewel-encrusted corset from less-than-hip Christian Lacroix, the French designer used repeatedly as the butt of fashion-victim jokes in the TV giggle-fest "Absolutely Fabulous."

For shock value, it falls far short of her most famous outfit: Jean-Paul Gaultier's iconic cone bustier.

digitalfreaknyc 05-25-04 03:03 PM

That entire article is bullshit. None of that stuff happens. Read the real reviews. That was all heresay.

Rogue588 05-25-04 03:25 PM

Here's a report from Reuters

Madonna Kicks Off 'Re-Invention' Tour in L.A.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - She sits in an electric chair and dances and sings against a backdrop of war images, President Bush, and Saddam Hussein, but fans of Madonna on Tuesday said the pop queen of shock seems to have mellowed with age, religion and motherhood.

Madonna opened her extravagant and politically charged "Re-Invention" tour on Monday wearing a jewel-encrusted corset but changed into army fatigues when she sang "American Life" against projected images of a war-torn nation and the sounds of dropping bombs.

"I knew there would be a lot of politics and religion tonight. It's kind of like she's grown up, but she's still hot," said Dee Dee Kennedy, 36, a saleswoman for Kettel One Vodka, who saw Madonna 20 years ago.

On stage, dancers dressed like soldiers did push-ups and calisthenics as helicopters swooped and infernos blazed on the video screens behind them.

At one point, they displayed a giant image of two men resembling Saddam Hussein and President Bush laughing together.

While much of the video imagery was disturbing, some of the more outrageous details members of the media had been told to expect, such as naked, pregnant dancing girls, were nowhere to be found.

The 45-year-old Material Girl did not disappoint longtime fans, many of whom paid upward of $200 per ticket, by performing many old hits like "Holiday" and "Vogue," punctuated by spectacular choreography.

But gone are the days when Madonna strutted around in her trademark cone-bra bustiers. Instead, the pop diva-turned-mom went for a more soulful approach, simply playing guitar and belting out some of her best-known hits.

Spirituality and Madonna's passion for Kabbala, a form of Jewish mysticism, also took center stage with untranslated Hebrew text often displayed in the background of her performances.

Another high point for many concert-goers was Madonna's rendition of John Lennon's "Imagine," which was accompanied by a video of sick and injured children from around the world.

Many concert-goers paid as much as $150 per seat and planned to see two additional shows at those prices. But others like Victor Payes, 29, bought a $300 face value ticket for about $25 on the street shortly before the show.

"It's the best ticket in town," said Payes, noting he planned to return Wednesday if he could get a similar bargain.

An estimated 750,000 people are expected to see 39 shows scheduled for the U.S. and Canadian leg of her tour, with most of the shows reportedly sold out.

But ticket brokers who buy and sell tickets said on Tuesday they had oversubscribed. "We're getting beat up," said one East Coast ticket broker.

Madonna's "Drowned World" tour in 2001 grossed $55 million from 28 shows in 12 cities, ranking No. 6 on top U.S. tours for that year, according to concert trade magazine Pollstar.
Here's another one courtesy of Google

Madonna Kicks Off 'Re-Invention' Tour
Show Features Same-Sex Interaction, Pregnant Women

The "material girl" kicks off her "Re-Invention Tour" in California.

Madonna's "Re-Invention Tour" kicked off Monday night in Inglewood, California.

The pop icon revived many of her old hits at the 3-day, sold-out engagements, in a production reportedly costing more than $1 million.

The show features same-sex interaction, as well as a dance number with nearly naked pregnant women.

A video screen shows clips of starving children and bombs dropping over Iraq during two separate songs.

For the show's finale, Madonna is strapped into an electric chair and tries to escape.

This is Madonna's first tour since "Drowned World" in 2001.

"Re-Invention" includes 39 dates in the United States and 11 European shows -- and all the shows are reportedly close to sold out.
Funny that Reuters dismisses the same-sex, pregnant stuff and the other one doesn't. Will the media ever get their stories straight and present the facts...?

digitalfreaknyc 05-25-04 03:37 PM

Well...you can go by that or you can go by people that were actually there.

check out madonnalicious.com for more information.

The second article states nothing specific that wasn't rumored beforehand. I'm doubting it's validity at all.

Rogue588 05-25-04 03:42 PM

The second article states nothing specific that wasn't rumored beforehand. I'm doubting it's validity at all.
The media? Wrong? Perish the thought!

Yeah, i'm thinking someone cut and pasted the original "rumour" release...

digitalfreaknyc 05-25-04 03:47 PM

Rolling Stone...FANTASTIC review...no electric chair. No pregnant bodies.

Amid images of war and peace, pop star shows she can sing - By Barry Walters

After twenty years in the limelight, Madonna is expected to cause controversy and reinvent herself for every new tour. So for the May 24th Los Angeles opening of her Re-Invention world trek, Madonna did the most unexpected thing she could: She came back as a great concert singer.
Even the most diehard Madonna fan will concede that her live performances have almost without exception been plagued by a multitude of missed notes, breathy passages, and, as of late, fake British accents. But while Mariah and Whitney have of been losing the acrobatic vocal dexterity and lung power on which their reputations rest, forty-five-year-old Madonna, whom few have ever taken seriously as a musician, has never sounded better than she did during the first of several gigs in her adopted West Coast home.
Whether rocking out with classic black Les Paul in hand during a metallic rendition of her early club hit 'Burning Up,' or performing 'Like a Prayer' behind a screen-projected gospel choir, Madonna belted, and did not once seemed strained. In the midst of a $1 million production festooned with a walkway that jutted out from the stage and over the audience, massive moving video screens, a dozen dancers, a bagpipe player, a stunt skateboarder and a whole lot of emotionally charged anti-war imagery, the focus was nevertheless on Madonna, and how she's matured into a truly great pop singer.
Opening with a yoga-trained twist on her famous Louis XIV-inspired MTV Video Music Awards rendition of 'Vogue' and ending on a kilt-wearing finale of 'Holiday' against a video backdrop of national flags that eventually morphed into one, the show was thematically simpler and more focused than her last several productions.
The barbarism of war and the necessity of love were at the heart of the entire show, and both played off each other, sometimes for ironic and decidedly uneasy effect. The original military-themed video footage of 'American Life' that the singer withheld at the start of the Iraq war was finally unveiled, and then expanded upon during 'Express Yourself,' where Madonna sang her anthem of unbridled, intimate communication in front of dancers dressed as soldiers and goose-stepping with twirling rifles.
By contrast, Madonna closed an extended acoustic section of the show with a straightforward and thoroughly committed rendition of John Lennon's 'Imagine' as images of war and poverty-ravaged children eventually gave way to footage of a Muslim boy and his Israeli counterpart smiling as they walked with their arms wrapped around each other.
The heaviness of much of the imagery was balanced by Madonna's own presence, which seemed remarkably fun-loving and self-assured for the opening night of her most technically complex production. Only when she strapped on an acoustic or electric guitar during several songs and repeatedly glanced at her left hand to make sure it was playing the proper chords did she seem at all nervous. "How many people out there really think that I am the Material Girl?" she asked during a break in her most iconic early smash as she strummed with much deliberation.
For the last several songs, Madonna and her dancers donned black and white kilts, an apparent nod to husband Guy Ritchie's Scottish heritage, and black T-shirts that read 'Kabbalists Do It Better,' a cheeky reference to both her religious studies and the 'Italians Do It Better' T-shirt she wore during her video for 'Papa Don't Preach,' a song that was performed without the 'near-naked pregnant women' described in pre-tour reports of the show.
In a number dedicated for the 'fans that've stood by me for the last twenty years,' she sang her earliest hit ballad, 'Crazy For You,' earnestly and without contrivance.
Madonna's continued relevance was impressive, but it was even more striking that she's putting more love and genuine passion into her spectacle than ever.

ChristopherS 05-25-04 05:07 PM

I'm seeing Madonna June 16th at MSG. I would have gone at least once more but I have a friend visiting at that time. Madonna's my favorite artist ever also. I have to say when I first became a fan of hers I could never have imagined I'd still be a fan and she'd still be around and as exciting as ever all these years later. Now I would not put anything past her. All the reviews for the tour have been nearly 100% positive.

iggystar 05-26-04 07:38 PM

Hey digital...

Why isn't M coming to her home state? Why?! I mean I know Toronto and Chicago aren't that far away, but I've already paid for 8 concerts for this summer and I just can't swing it.

Big sigh.

digitalfreaknyc 05-26-04 09:02 PM

Yah I have zero idea why she's not coming to Detroit. It makes absolutely no sense. The show was scheduled pretty late it seems so maybe that was the problem.

Btw...i downloaded the whole show in MP3 format.
Again, as someone who has a TON of bootlegs from every concert tour, she has NEVER EVER sounded better than she did on that opening night. She was strong, clear and hit almost every note. I can't WAIT to experience this show.

LiquidSky 05-27-04 07:37 AM

digi....give us a full report about the show. I would love to see M but the closest she is playing is Atlanta....I just don't have the $$ right now.

Do you like all her music or do you like some more than other? Personally, I think her last three albums are the best .

digitalfreaknyc 05-27-04 08:28 AM

Personally...Ray of Light is my all time favorite. It doesn't get any better than that. Second would probably be Erotica...third...Like A Prayer.

The last two albums need to pretty much be done away with. Mirwais has been a waste of time. I think Music is a GREAT song to be remixed and done live but I don't like the album version so much. The highlights of the last two albums for me were Impressive Instant and Nobody Knows Me. Both were the best on their respective albums. But there are songs that I just detest (Nothing Fails, Hollywood, I Deserve It) and a bunch that are just ok. Lyrically, she's gotten much worse and rhthmically not much better.

Some songs translate better live. I can tolerate Nothing Fails on this tour and Mother & Father sounds a lot better.

All time favorite songs are Like A Prayer, Sky Fits Heaven, Causing A Commotion, Impressive Instant and Erotica.
The last 3 keep changing but the first two haven't.

Giles 05-27-04 09:03 AM

The last two albums need to pretty much be done away with. Mirwais has been a waste of time.

I have to agree with you there, other than the inclusion of her on his album, the collaboration didn't seem to stay together.

Chrisedge 05-27-04 10:10 AM

I saw her last tour (20th row) and it was in my top 5 concerts of all time. (I've seen over 250 shows)

digitalfreaknyc 05-27-04 10:14 AM

Well, if you liked that one that one that much...you should read the review from The Sun and go see this one. They said it's one of the best shows ever.

Chrisedge 05-27-04 10:24 AM

My buddy works for Warners and got to see the rehearsal at the forum last week. He raved about it, and since she is playing at the Pond next week, and tons of tickets are left, me and the wife are heading over there (very close) and see if we can get some below face value tickets for ourselves.

ChristopherS 05-27-04 05:34 PM

Fav. Madonna songs: Express Yourself, Rescue Me, Supernatural, Impressive Instant, Nobody Knows Me, Sky Fits Heaven, Something To Remember, He's A Man, Waiting, Burning Up...

Each album has at least 2 songs I love and 2 I hate, I think I feel equal about them all except that I've outplayed/outgrew the pre-Prayer albums.

NitroJMS 05-31-04 09:13 PM

Unfortunately she's also skipping my hometown again (Pittsburgh) and I can't afford a costly trip to NYC or Philly to see her since I just did WrestleMania XX at MSG in March. Hopefully she releases another great DVD like the last one.