Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Honky Tonk Women, Stones, question

Old 05-22-04, 06:01 AM

Honky Tonk Women, Stones, question

So I've just discovered the Rolling Stones. Listened to a friend's "Forty Licks." What's the deal with "Honky Tonk Women?"

Is that version on "Forty Licks" only available on that album? I went to the Stones' official site and it lists "Honky Tonk Women" as being only originally on "Get Yer Ya-yas Out" or whatever it's called.

I'm trying to find out where the studio version on "Forty Licks" appeared and want that album, because basically, I feel like a loser only owning an artists' greatest hits package. Is it only on "Forty Licks" or their singles collection album?

Thanks.
Old 05-22-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Honky Tonky Women was a version of Country Honk (released on Let It Bleed) that was only ever released as a single, never officially on an album. If you buy the singles collection, or any of the greatest hits packages that include the songs from the sixities, you'll get Honky Tonk Women.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 05-22-04 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-22-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup.
Old 05-23-04, 09:10 AM

I swear I read years back that Honky Tonk Women was the result of Richards/Jagger boozing with Gram Parsons. Does anyone know if that's true?
Old 05-23-04, 08:35 PM
Banned by request

Mick and Keith (most especially Keith) hung out with Gram Parsons a lot in the late 60's/early 70's. You can attribute a lot of their country sounding songs from the period (Country Honk, Dead Flowers, several tracks from Exile On Main St.) to his influence.
Old 05-25-04, 12:46 PM

Thanks. That clears it up for me.