Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone hear the new Skinny Puppy CD? Thoughts?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-19-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my hands on the new Skinny Puppy album coming out (I think) next week. I have to say I am extremely disappointed. They are not the same band I grew up listening to at all

The music is just so not them, there are even some songs that have a Linkin Park type feel it is just horrible IMO. It is too "dancy" at times also. It is just really sad, this is/was one of my favorite bands of all time, and they have just changed so much.

Anyone else give it a listen?
Old 05-19-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember having "Rabies" and "Too Dark Park" on tape in high school. Seem to also remember really liking "Rabies" a lot. Haven't heard them in years, but would kind of expect them to not be as good as they used to be. It's pretty rare when a band like that stands the test of time.
Old 05-19-04, 03:56 PM

I haven't heard the new CD yet, but I did get a ticket to see them at the 9:30 Club in DC on June 22nd.
Old 05-19-04, 04:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I haven't heard it yet, but I'll be sure to post my thoughts on the album when it comes out next week.

It's weird that you discribed it as dancy. Of all the mid '80s to early '90s industrial bands that I listened to, Skinny Puppy was one of the least dancy. I didn't mind when Ohgr had a more dancy, up tempo sound because it was a side project and I wasn't really expecting it to sound like Skinny Puppy. Like I said, I haven't heard it yet, so I'm forced to reserve judgement until the record is released. If the record does sound similar to Linkin Park, then I'm gonna be terribly dissapointed.
Old 05-19-04, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Zuul
It's weird that you discribed it as dancy. Of all the mid '80s to early '90s industrial bands that I listened to, Skinny Puppy was one of the least dancy. I didn't mind when Ohgr had a more dancy, up tempo sound because it was a side project and I wasn't really expecting it to sound like Skinny Puppy. Like I said, I haven't heard it yet, so I'm forced to reserve judgement until the record is released. If the record does sound similar to Linkin Park, then I'm gonna be terribly dissapointed.
Don't get me wrong, it is not like they are doing Linkin Park style songs or something, but there are some definite nu metal/rap type elements in some of the songs that just don't work in Puppy. There is definitely a progression from where they were at with The Process, there are more guitars being used in the new album, but just not in a good way. I was a big fan of The Process even though a lot of people who were into Puppy as long as I was (and as devout) trashed it. I much more prefer their use of guitars like found in albums like Rabies and VIVIsectVI, where it is just short samples.

I guess it makes sense sort of how the album is if you look at cEvin Key's recent stuff and Nivek Ogre's Ohgr project. It is the two of those combined mixed in with a resemblance of Puppy's past.

I have always been into the brappier and glitchier type industrial. I was never very much into the KMFDM or Ministry type stuff. I was into the Nurse With Wound and Nocturnal Emissions type of stuff. So to me this album just doesn't cut it. New converts to Puppy may or may not like it, I don't know. To me it is just a lot more "accessible", I don't want to say sell out, because I don't think it was too much of a conscious decision.

As a friend of mine said, "I really wanted to like it, and if I liked it even a little bit I would run out and get it...but I just can't."
Old 05-19-04, 09:48 PM

The SPV (Skinny Puppy's new label) site has a page with 30 second snippets of every track on the album, plus the entire first song on the album "Im'mortal" [sp]. It sounds very excellent from what I've heard (even the track with Wayne Statik).

BTW, to provide context on my opinion of what I heard, I own five SP albums. In the order that I like them, they are Too Dark Park, Process, Rabies, Last Rights, and Bites.

Last edited by evitagen; 05-19-04 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 10:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I listened to the samples that were available on SPV's site. It sounds..... odd. It's not bad I guess, it just doesn't sound like Skinny Puppy. There is a hint of the sound that SP had on previous records in some of the songs, but for the most part, the music sounds suprisingly similar to Ohgr's last album.

I think the biggest problem with the new record is that it is far more electronic sounding. Obviously, electronics were used extensively (if not exclusively) in the past, but they always had a hard edge to their sound. I can't really describe it, but it does sound more dancey now.

I was really looking forward to a new Skinny Puppy record, but this new sound doesn't thrill me. I'll still check the album out and when it's released so that I can hear the full length songs and form an opinion based on those.
Old 05-20-04, 04:51 AM
Banned

theres a guy in michigan who goes by the name NIBBY who is probally real excited that there putting out something new.
Old 05-22-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i only listened to a few songs but it might as well be a 3rd Ohgr album. not that its a bad thing but it's not SP. one song did have some very SP elements, infact it might of been something they already used from Vivi Sect IV.