DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New Morrissey album is excellent (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/364932-new-morrissey-album-excellent.html)

whynotsmile 05-18-04 03:50 PM

New Morrissey album is excellent

just picked up the cd only version (dvd seemed like a waste of extra money)

wow, its really good. musically, its a return to form and a totally different thing. once again, morrissey's voice is the star. you can you hear every lyric and the music accompanies his vocie, not the other way around.

his songs seem pretty great. not a lot of "club" songs, but still a lot of great stuff. some really nice ballads. i listened to about a minute a song and there wasn't one i didn't like.

so far i haven't heard much humor in it, but im sure its there.

Debaser 05-18-04 09:27 PM

I really like this as well. I haven't really listened to Morrissey much recently except for watching his video DVD compilation so I was pleasently surprised. I was expecting gangsta rap Morrissey.

Buford T Pusser 05-18-04 11:33 PM

I almost picked this up today, but wanted to see if the extra cash for the DVD was worth it. Maybe not.

sergtv 05-19-04 02:36 PM

gonna pick this up today, whats on the dvd? is it worth the extra cash? they have the cd for $11.99 at best buy, now sure how much the one with the bonus disk cost

fallow 05-19-04 02:50 PM

Re: New Morrissey album is excellent

Originally posted by whynotsmile
...you can you hear every lyric...
After listening to about half of the promo, I'd say this is one of the discs biggest problems. I always thought that Morrisey was a poor lyricist but this is the most vapid dreck I've heard all year.

Frank TJ Mackey 05-19-04 08:08 PM

I'm loving it.

The Pope of Mope is officially back.

tofu 05-19-04 10:14 PM

I like it too. Very listenable compared to some of his other albums.

Don't forget that he's the musical guest all week on Craig Kilborn. :thumbsup:

redhenry 05-19-04 11:46 PM

Re: Re: New Morrissey album is excellent

Originally posted by fallow
After listening to about half of the promo, I'd say this is one of the discs biggest problems. I always thought that Morrisey was a poor lyricist but this is the most vapid dreck I've heard all year.
"A poor lyricist'? This is something I have never heard Morrissey accused of - quite the opposite in fact. I would be hard pressed to find a better lyricist for wit, charm, and intrigue.

T

Buford T Pusser 05-20-04 12:45 AM

Sadly I didn't know he was on Kilborn this week. So I tuned in but he must have played earlier in the show. Maybe I'll at least catch the last two nights.

Achtung 05-20-04 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Sadly I didn't know he was on Kilborn this week. So I tuned in but he must have played earlier in the show. Maybe I'll at least catch the last two nights.
I think he's actually on next week.

iggystar 05-20-04 11:22 AM

I read his article in EW, that along with your recommendations makes me want to buy.

fallow 05-20-04 12:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: New Morrissey album is excellent

Originally posted by redhenry
"A poor lyricist'? This is something I have never heard Morrissey accused of - quite the opposite in fact. I would be hard pressed to find a better lyricist for wit, charm, and intrigue.

T

I find him over-affected; it's a personal thing.

Buford T Pusser 05-20-04 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Achtung
I think he's actually on next week.
The guest mentioned Morrissey being on there so I thought he mean that night.

tonyc3742 05-20-04 04:59 PM

TVGuide.com shows 'Morrissey' being the topic/guest on Kilborn Tues/Wed/Thu 25/26/27. I'll be setting the DVR.
ANyone know what's on the DVD? Is it worth a couple extra bucks? [Amazon has cd/dvd for 16.99, I've got a 10.00 cert, and am hoping for STL.]

grunter 05-20-04 05:46 PM

Can someone please explain to me why this album cover had to be half an inch taller than a regular CD case?

Who the hell decides how to market these new discs?

It's bad enough the album is in a cheap cardboard sleeve; but to go and deliberately make sure that cardboard sleeve is of an irregular size just smacks of idiocy. Without fail, every single album that I own that has this special sized type packaging gets played less often than a disc in the conventional jewel case. I simply don't want to take the thing out and try to stuff it into a conventional CD holder or rack.

STOP OVERSIZING THE CD CASES, MUSIC INDUSTRY!!

redhenry 05-20-04 07:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Morrissey album is excellent

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fallow
I find him over-affected; it's a personal thing. [/QUOTE

You sound like a judge on Idol. Over-affected? What do you mean by that? I am not being a smart arts, I am genuinely interested as to why you think this.

T]

fallow 05-20-04 08:04 PM

I mean that he's melodramatic. And I understand that he's not typically speaking of himself, I just think he sings these closet dramas with the voice of an actor that isn't convinced of their lines. I also don't think that he's witty, clever, or charming just because he's assuming another role: I don't think a singer needs to be genuine or authentic (because that would be boring entertainment) but I do think that a singer needs to convince me. And I get into his voice the same way I get into the highschool drama club. re: not at all.

That said, I love The Smiths. Just not Morrissey.

redhenry 05-21-04 12:04 AM

Originally posted by fallow
I mean that he's melodramatic. And I understand that he's not typically speaking of himself, I just think he sings these closet dramas with the voice of an actor that isn't convinced of their lines. I also don't think that he's witty, clever, or charming just because he's assuming another role: I don't think a singer needs to be genuine or authentic (because that would be boring entertainment) but I do think that a singer needs to convince me. And I get into his voice the same way I get into the highschool drama club. re: not at all.

That said, I love The Smiths. Just not Morrissey.

Fair enough. I totally disagree but that's life I guess :-)

R

sergtv 05-21-04 02:16 AM

best buy in chula vista was sold out.. hopefully they get some in before saturday for i could get it for twelve bucks.. anybody else having trouble finding the cd? I can't use my 10 reward zone certifacate at c c or taget

Daytripper 05-21-04 10:04 AM

Picked it up last night. Great album. At first, I grabbed the one with the DVD (which isn't marked) and it was $19.99 (!) The only reason I thought is was just an audio CD is because the best of Morcheeba was right behind it for the same price. Which I have, and know that's not a CD/DVD or double CD. Just thought Best Buy's prices went up. So be careful if you go there. Just the CD was on the aisle of new releases ONLY (and not even under Morrissey's card in the M's).

DJLinus 05-21-04 01:57 PM

Originally posted by sergtv
whats on the dvd? is it worth the extra cash? they have the cd for $11.99 at best buy, now sure how much the one with the bonus disk cost
The DVD contains the video for the single, a photo gallery, and lyrics for all of the songs on the album. IMO, it's hardly worth the extra money.

That said, as I posted in another thread, I still picked it up. At the Best Buy that I went to, it seemed that the only edition they carried (with the new releases and in the Morrissey section) was the limited one. It was marked $13.99 (the normal price of the regular edition), but rang up $19.99 (the price of the limited edition). I convinced the salesgirl to give it to me for the $11.99 sale price. The circular with that price shows the limited edition (that cover has Morrissey holding the tommy gun rather than just a close up of his face), so you could work that angle.

I've only listened to it all the way through once, but I like it.

And it is very annoying that it is larger than a standard jewel case.

joefrog91 05-23-04 10:20 PM

I bought mine at Best Buy. They only had the limited edition out, but were selling it for $11.99. My favorite songs are "Irish Blood, English Heart", "The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores" and "First Of The Gang to Die".

I'm going to see him for the first time ever at Lollapalooza. I hate that this is how I have to experience my first Morrissey concert, but at least I'll get to see Sparta and Le Tigre on the same bill.

Buford T Pusser 05-24-04 03:10 PM

Reminder that Morrissey will be on Craig Kilborn all week starting tonight.

whynotsmile 05-24-04 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Reminder that Morrissey will be on Craig Kilborn all week starting tonight.
ill tape it. thanks for the reminder

cultshock 05-24-04 06:13 PM

Looking forward to seeing him on the show. :up:

And, yeah, the new CD is very nice. :up: