Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Morrissey album is excellent

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Morrissey album is excellent

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cemetery Man
I was giving my opinion on one song off the album. Figured the thread was for discussing if one likes or dislikes parts of it. Not for other forum members to talk down to me for having an opinion of a song on the album. He's a good musician but he is also an arrogant activist. Not many people will disagree with that.
I didn't mean to attack you if that's what you thought. I probably should have worded my post better.
Old 12-07-04, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No harm done then, Just mis-understanding. Saw him live in Portland a few years ago. Great live performer.
Old 12-07-04, 01:59 AM

Ultimate gheyness. Jesus, I think Im going to vomit...
Old 12-07-04, 07:37 AM

I really like the new cd.
I also agree that he is an arrogant activist, but I don't really care either.
Morrissey has always bitched and complained, I'm kinda used to it by now.
He hates america enough to tour it and play overpriced shows, so he at leasts likes to profit off us.
Old 12-07-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I didn't think about this, but here's another reason why this deluxe edition is ill-timed and should've been pushed back, per allmusic's review:

it sounds like a nice way to collect all of the B-sides — all of which are solid, if not quite noteworthy — from the album and get the videos, which is true to a certain extent. The problem is, a week after this hit the stores on December 7, 2004, a fourth single was pulled from the album, containing three non-LP B-sides that aren't on this "deluxe edition," either.
Love the ending of the review:

At worst, it's a cynical attempt to get Morrissey's legions of fans to buy material they already have to get a small, insignificant rarity — which would be the videos, in this case, since the bonus tracks have already appeared on singles. But the author of "Paint a Vulgar Picture" would never do that intentionally, would he?
Old 12-08-04, 09:32 AM

"At worst, it's a cynical attempt to get Morrissey's legions of fans to buy material they already have to get a small, insignificant rarity — which would be the videos, in this case, since the bonus tracks have already appeared on singles. But the author of "Paint a Vulgar Picture" would never do that intentionally, would he?"

Besides the fact that its really easy to push a quote back in Morrissey's face that he said almost 20 years ago (when the pre-mp3 music industry was MUCH different), I think that this release infact is well timed. Its Christmas time and Sanctuary is trying to lure some new listeners with a nice package featuring some excellent b-sides. I'm fairly certain (especially in England) that "Quarry" will make some year end best-ofs so why not re-launch the album with some bonuses to convert those on the fence. The die-hards either have this stuff already or love Morrissey so much that they'll rebuy it without thinking twice. Also, some thought actually went into the tracklisting of how the b-sides flow into one another. It has the feel of a second album, not tacked on tracks. If anything, Morrissey fans should be proud that he's become such a flagship artist for Sanctuary that they feel such a rerelease is worth the time.
Old 12-08-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad Morrissey's back and I like Quarry a lot. Sure, the industry's changed, but the completist in me thinks it's a shady move by the label to release a single with four b-sides a week after this "deluxe edition." I used to collect Morrissey singles until I realized that sooner or later a good chunk of the b-sides will appear on a future compilation (the man's got a bunch of those) or import release (glad I held off buying the Viva Hate CD when it first came out). If the label insisted this to be a Christmas release, I think a better option would've been to release this newest single earlier, so the non-album tracks could've been added to the latest repackaging (but I'm not sure when the last single was released - maybe they would've been too close together). The "deluxe version" of this album just seems incomplete now. To me, moves like this just make me hate the industry even more. The big labels I expect this from, but now smaller ones are starting this practice.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

At least with the Cure's "deluxe edition" this week there's been 25 years that have passed since Three Imaginary Boys was first released and all singles (w/ b-sides) have been exhausted. There's less of a sting in rebuying an album after that much time has passed. My one gripe there, though, is that "Killing an Arab" is noticeably absent.
Old 12-08-04, 12:47 PM

Its true that the soon to be released "I Have Forgiven Jesus" b-sides would have made a nice addition, but if they included those, then that's just less to put on the inevitable "You Are The Quarry: ULTIMATE EDITION". Seriously though, I think Sanctury is just trying to blitz the market right before Christmas with Morrissey stuff, this probably being the last month to get any substantial sales out of "Quarry". And I'm sure they know that they'd kill "Jesus'" chart chances if they made all those exclusive song available on the "Quarry" rerelease. I certainly agree with you that its not doing my wallet any favors, but I can understand why they release things the way they do.

My current question is that they've announced a US only "I Like You" single, but have yet to announce b-sides. Will they be the same as the non-US "Jesus" single? Its possible they'll be new ones since on the 16th, he's having a BBC Radio 2 Janice Long session in which he'll be playing some new songs: "Noise is the Best Revenge", "I'm Playing Easy to Get", and "Redondo Beach" (a Patti Smith cover). So now I'm irritated since I don't know if I should pay import prices now for something that will essentially be the same in a few months on a US single. I'll probably cave in for the imports since I'm a sucker. Hopefully mp3s of the BBC session will the available on Morrissey newsgroups fairly soon after they air.

Those Cure reissues are very nice looking. If you're a Pavement fan, the reissues of "Slanted and Enchanted" and "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" are probably the best value for money I've ever seen on a reissue
Old 12-08-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJLinus
At least with the Cure's "deluxe edition" this week there's been 25 years that have passed since Three Imaginary Boys was first released and all singles (w/ b-sides) have been exhausted. There's less of a sting in rebuying an album after that much time has passed. My one gripe there, though, is that "Killing an Arab" is noticeably absent.
Killing An Arab was only on the US version of the debut, Boys Don't Cry.
Old 12-10-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Killing An Arab was only on the US version of the debut, Boys Don't Cry.
I know. I just think, for completeness sake, it should've been included on this version. Especially since "World War," "Boys Don't Cry," and "Jumping Someone Else's Train" - all of which were exclusive to Boys Don't Cry - are on the deluxe version (and "Plastic Passion" is on Join the Dots). It was a single around that time, after all. Maybe they'll put it on their next greatest hits album...
Old 12-12-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Well I picked up the Platinum version. Overall, I am happy. I traded in my standard version and my Irish Blood single as well a cheap DVD I plan to upgrade later. I got $16 store credit and paid a couple bucks extra. for the platinum.

Worth it to me. Got all those extra B-sides, Got the DVD, and it's in a jewel case unlike the standard version I had.
Old 12-17-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know. I just think, for completeness sake, it should've been included on this version. Especially since "World War," "Boys Don't Cry," and "Jumping Someone Else's Train" - all of which were exclusive to Boys Don't Cry - are on the deluxe version (and "Plastic Passion" is on Join the Dots). It was a single around that time, after all. Maybe they'll put it on their next greatest hits album...
I just got the tracklisting, I haven't bought it yet, but presumably by this time you have . Anyhow, this deluxe edition along with Join the Dots DOES correct UK/US discrepancies. Except it lacks "Killing an Arab" or some odd reason .

DISC 1 - Three Imaginary Boys

01. 10:15 SATURDAY NIGHT
02. ACCURACY
03. GRINDING HALT
04. ANOTHER DAY
05. OBJECT
06. SUBWAY SONG
07. FOXY LADY
08. MEATHOOK
09. SO WHAT
10. FIRE IN CAIRO
11. IT'S NOT YOU
12. THREE IMAGINARY BOYS
13. THE WEEDY BURTON

DISC 2 - Rarities 1977-1979

01. I Want To Be Old (sav studio demo 10/77 - previously unreleased song) (@)
02. I'm Cold (sav studio demo 11/77 - previously unreleased version) (@)
03. Heroin Face (live in the rocket, crawley 12/77 - previously available on 'curiosity' mc 1984) (@)
04. I Just Need Myself (psl studio demo 1/78 - previously unreleased song) (@)
05. 10:15 Saturday Night (rs home demo 2/78 - previously unreleased version)
06. The Cocktail Party (group home demo 3/78 - previously unreleased song) (@)
07. Grinding Halt (group home demo 4/78 - previously unreleased version) (@)
08. Boys Don't Cry (chestnut studio demo 5/78 - previously available on 'curiosity' mc 1984)
09. It's Not You (chestnut studio demo 5/78 - previously unreleased version)
10. 10:15 Saturday Night (chestnut studio demo 5/78 - previously unreleased version)
11. Fire In Cairo (chestnut studio demo 5/78 - previously unreleased version)
12. Winter ('tib' studio out-take 10/78 - previously unreleased song)
13. Faded Smiles (aka I Don't Know) ('tib' studio out-take 10/78 - previously unreleased song)
14. Play With Me ('tib' studio out-take 10/78 - previously unreleased song)
15. World War (on early copies of 'boys don't cry' album 1979)
16. Boys Don't Cry (single - also on 'boys don't cry' album 1979)
17. Jumping Someone Else's Train (single - also on 'boys don't cry' album 1979)

18. Subway Song (live in nottingham 10/79 - previously available on 'curiosity' mc 1984)
19. Accuracy (live in nottingham 10/79 - previously unreleased version)
20. 10:15 Saturday Night (live in nottingham 10/79 - previously unreleased version)

Last edited by Brain Stew; 12-17-04 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-17-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I don't understand the lack of "Killing an Arab."

And, sadly, I don't have it yet. I'm waiting for the Christmas cash to roll in.
Old 12-17-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that's what I was saying. I don't understand the lack of "Killing an Arab."

And, sadly, I don't have it yet. I'm waiting for the Christmas cash to roll in.
Oh.

For some odd reason, I thought that you thought Boys Don't Cry wasn't on the Deluxe Edition . Don't mind me, finals have killed my brain.
Old 12-19-04, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fallfan
Many of those b-sides could of easily replaced some album tracks (and I love the album)
No kidding. I just heard 6 b-sides and many of those could take the place of the four songs I think are marginal on Quarry. Makes me wonder the decision making process of how Morrissey chooses what goes on his proper album.
Old 12-19-04, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
No kidding. I just heard 6 b-sides and many of those could take the place of the four songs I think are marginal on Quarry. Makes me wonder the decision making process of how Morrissey chooses what goes on his proper album.
Yeah, that was really true of his last album "Malajusted". Some of the b-sides of singles from that era like "Lost" or "I Can Have Both" are much better than many album tracks. I'm definately a fan of anyone who bothers to put out high quality b-sides, since not too many people bother to anymore (Belle and Sebastian and Pet Shop Boys are some of the few I can think of) but its odd if it comes at the expense of the albums quality.