DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The "Death Cab For Cutie" Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/364477-death-cab-cutie-thread.html)

boston george 05-16-04 04:34 AM

The "Death Cab For Cutie" Thread

This band definetly needs it's own thread on this board.

Any other fans on here?

I first got into them after buying the Postal Service album and have since purchased all their albums (not that the postal service and death cab are one and the same) Anyone else here like them? The new album, Transatlanticism is spectacular.

SomeVoices 05-16-04 01:08 PM

Yes, Transatlanticism is excellent. I need to start picking up their other albums now. Postal Service is great as well.

Jeraden 05-16-04 07:42 PM

I got the Photo Album after seeing a video from it on MTV. It was ok, but a little underwhelming. Only a couple really good songs. The first song on the album is horrible. I did pick up Postal Service later and I love it. I'm kind of hesitant of getting Transatlanticism since I wasn't impressed with Photo Album.

fnordboy 05-17-04 12:32 AM

I've been into DCfC for quite a few years now, and I have to go against the grain. I just couldn't get into Transatlanticism too much (yet). It definitely has some good moments on the album, but to me it seems to be lacking something. I don't know what it is. I have all the DCfC releases, Postal Service, and All-Time Quarterback. I remember thoroughly enjoying A-TQB, but to be honest I can't remember one track off of it so it must not be that memorable :lol:.

They are a great band and I often play their older discs, especially in the car. Some great driving music :)

37 In A Row 05-17-04 06:11 PM

Anyone recommend an album of theirs to start off with? I really liked the Postal Service record.

fnordboy 05-17-04 06:40 PM

Originally posted by 37 In A Row
Anyone recommend an album of theirs to start off with? I really liked the Postal Service record.
I think the Photo Album would be a good place to start, others might disagree. Go to Barsuk.com, their record label, they have a few mp3s to download might help you decide if you want to give them a try or not. Realize that their stuff is not like Postal Service, just as good though IMO.

shaggy 05-18-04 04:11 AM

I also got into Death Cab after buying the simply amazing postal service record. They are currently my favorite bands.

I really hope postal service puts out another record and goes on tour again soon

funkyryno 05-19-04 03:32 AM

Originally posted by shaggy
I really hope postal service puts out another record and goes on tour again soon
They are playing the Sasquatch Festival at the Gorge at George (Washington state) on May 29.

Linky link

Kaiser Soze 05-19-04 03:55 PM

I would really like to hear their earlier stuff. Transatlanticism is great. And after a few listens, I'm really starting to like the Postal Service too.

Hiro11 09-16-04 01:08 PM

I bought Transatlanticism yesterday, IMO it's one of the best of the year. "We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes" comes close, but this is also Gibbard's best album. This guy is becoming another Jeff Tweedy: master of whatever he tries.

fumanstan 09-16-04 01:11 PM

I've only heard the radio songs and wasn't particularly impressed.

cheapskate 09-16-04 02:24 PM

I really like the songs - but the guys voice (to me) is very difficult to listen to...

Is he British or American? To me it always sounds like a British guy trying to put on that fake "American" accent that all the really bad British actors do... it just really bugs me; which is too bad because I'd really enjoy it otherwise.

jarsim 09-16-04 06:34 PM

Originally posted by cheapskate
I really like the songs - but the guys voice (to me) is very difficult to listen to...

Is he British or American? To me it always sounds like a British guy trying to put on that fake "American" accent that all the really bad British actors do... it just really bugs me; which is too bad because I'd really enjoy it otherwise.

Ben Gibbard's American (from Washington state I believe)... and he does not sound anything like what you are describing to me. :hscratch:

charlie bucket 09-17-04 09:25 AM

Great band, a friend of mine just got me listening to them. Like Transatlanticism, especially the song Expo '86 :thumbsup:

cheapskate 09-17-04 01:42 PM

Originally posted by jarsim
Ben Gibbard's American (from Washington state I believe)... and he does not sound anything like what you are describing to me. :hscratch:
Hmmm... that's weird.

It sounds like a fake American accent to me! :lol: I don't know why... maybe knowing it's not fake will make it easier to listen to. :) Thanks for clearing that up!

Bubble 09-17-04 07:37 PM

I'm glad someone began a thread for Death Cab. I've just gotten into them this summer and am now a big fan.

I bought The Postal Service album for $1 at my University's bookstore sale. I can't remember the last time I used a dollar to buy anything besides a cookie or a soda. Anyway loved that and heard about their affiliation with Death Cab, but it wasn't until "transatlanticism" was played in Six Feet Under that picked up Transatlanticism.

Originally posted by 37 In A Row
From Transatlanticism I really like "A Lack of Color," "Title & Registration" and "Transatlanticism."

I haven't really heard Photo Album.

I recently heard a band called Ambulance LTD and they strike me as sorta similar to Death Cab, in sound anyway. The singer's voice is very mellow, like Ben G's.

dpganz 09-17-04 09:34 PM

Ambulance LTD is a great band. Their first track is one of the best instrumentals ive heard in a while. I wouldnt be surprised if they get some mainstream attentnion due to Primitive (2nd track on album). Its quite a catchy song. The rest of their album is also quite solid.

sebastianv50 09-18-04 02:35 PM

Transatlanticism and Give Up are two of the better albums I've heard in a long time. I'd say The Photo Album isn't far behind. I saw Death Cab in New Orleans and they were very good live.

FatTony 09-19-04 01:38 AM

Originally posted by sebastianv50
Transatlanticism and Give Up are two of the better albums I've heard in a long time.
Agreed! :thumbsup:

I have yet to actually get any other Death Cab albums, since I can't seem to find them for a decent price. But I DID just buy a ticket for their upcoming show with Pretty Girls Make Graves (another amazing local band). Yipee!

Bubble 09-19-04 08:09 PM

I'm a big DCFC fan, as seen earlier in this message thread, but I really don't like their cover of "Take a Look at me now" on the Wicker Park Soundtrack. Is it just me?

Evolution 09-21-04 04:18 PM

You mean the Against All Odds cover by The Postal Service? :) It's alright. The first verse is pretty creepy.

Bubble 09-21-04 07:27 PM

Originally posted by Evolution
You mean the Against All Odds cover by The Postal Service? :) It's alright. The first verse is pretty creepy.
Gosh, sorry. Yeah I guess I'm just blending DCFC and Postal Service together at the moment.

Evolution 09-23-04 02:41 AM

I have front row tickets to see Death Cab and Pearl Jam in a couple weeks. Very psyched.

Jeraden 09-29-04 09:23 AM

I finally picked up Transatlanticism a couple weeks ago and have gone through it quite a few times. The first half of the album is excellent, up through track 5. Unfortunately, the 2nd half is kind of bland. So I have mixed feels about it as a whole.

charlie bucket 09-29-04 10:08 AM

Originally posted by Jeraden
I finally picked up Transatlanticism a couple weeks ago and have gone through it quite a few times. The first half of the album is excellent, up through track 5. Unfortunately, the 2nd half is kind of bland. So I have mixed feels about it as a whole.
I feel exactly the same way!