DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New Rush album coming 5/29 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/364202-new-rush-album-coming-5-29-a.html)

cdollaz 05-14-04 08:28 AM

New Rush album coming 5/29

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/News.htm

Feedback: Rumor no more, Rush's Feedback has been revealed. Complete with an album cover reminiscent of a 60's rock festival, the cd contains covers of eight songs the band grew up listening to. Discussed as rumor only for the last few weeks, the first confirmation came today when it was listed on various online retail websites, with a release date of June 29th, 2004. Still no official announcement from Rush, however. - May 13, 2004

Feedback Tracklist
Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran
Heart Full of Soul - The Yardbirds
The Seeker - The Who
For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
Shapes Of Things - The Yardbirds
Mr. Soul - Buffalo Springfield or Neil Young
Crossroads - Cream
7 & 7 Is - Love

THere is a pic of the album cover at the above site.

slop101 05-14-04 04:03 PM

I was just singing "Shapes Of Things" (Jeff Beck version) to myself right before I saw this thread.

I wonder if they're gonna jam on some of the songs, 'cause if not, that would be no longer than a 30 minute album.

Giantrobo 05-15-04 12:08 AM

Too bad they did't pick a Hip hop song. That would really be cool.

Lateralus 05-17-04 06:26 PM

I never heard of any of these songs, the album will be an EP so 30 minutes is about right.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jason 05-17-04 07:30 PM

This is an odd move for Rush.

At least it's not a "goodbye" type of thing. I had half-feared that the 30th tour was going to be a "farewell" tour.

This is probably just a sign of a change in style again. Maybe they'll go back to longer, more prog type material.

astrochimp 05-17-04 08:01 PM

Great bunch of songs theyve chosen :) Suprising to me they would do a covers album but im very interested to hear it :D

slop101 05-18-04 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Lateralus
I never heard of any of these songs...
I hope you're being sarcastic.

Giantrobo 05-18-04 11:06 AM

Originally posted by slop101
I hope you're being sarcastic.
I agree. Some of these songs can be heard just about everyday on rock stations, movies, and movie trailers.

Last night I linked samples of just about all the ORIGINAL songs from amazon.com for Lateralus then I deleted them by accident. :mad:

Jason 06-01-04 10:58 AM

Heard four of these at last night's show (which was incredible as usual). I'll put them in spoilers just in case others haven't read the set list.

Spoiler:

First off, all 4 covers were fairly straightforward takes on the originals. No surprises.

The Seeker - of the four they played, this one worked the best. The lyrics are the most "Rush-like" of the lot, and it just seemed to have a lot of energy.

Heart Full of Soul - Accoustic version following Resist. Neil drums on the second half. Very cool. I hope it's accoustic on the CD as well.

Summertime Blues - Why did they even think about covering this song? They cover the Blue Cheer version as opposed to the rockabilly Eddie Cochran original, but it just didn't sound right coming out of them. I hope they drop this one after this tour.

Crossroads - Again, a completely straightforward remake of the Cream classic. The heavy guitar sound of this song suits them well and Alex did a great job with it.

Overall, the covers seemed to work. The fans were receptive, but the covers didn't drive them crazy. I doubt this becomes their top selling CD, but it's not the disaster that it could have been.

Hiro11 06-01-04 04:21 PM

I have to hear Rush doing "The Seeker". It sounds right up their alley and hearing Peart do a Moon drum part must sound terrific.

slop101 06-01-04 04:25 PM

btw, june 29 is 6/29, not 5/29 like the thread title states.

Lateralus 06-01-04 04:34 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I agree. Some of these songs can be heard just about everyday on rock stations, movies, and movie trailers.

Last night I linked samples of just about all the ORIGINAL songs from amazon.com for Lateralus then I deleted them by accident. :mad:

Whoa! Thanks for thinking of me! When I listened to Summertime Blues I was like "Oh Yeah, I do know this song" and I suspect I have heard these songs but just don't know what their names are.

I'm not a big fan of the Who or Cochran or the Yardbirds so I don't recoginize them by name but when I hear them I will know.

cdollaz 06-24-04 03:41 PM

I listened to clips of all 8 songs at circuitcity.com and I think it sounds like crap. Any other opinions?

Wallet Boy 06-28-04 11:49 AM

This is listed in Target's circular this week for $7.98.

Lateralus 06-28-04 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Wallet Boy
This is listed in Target's circular this week for $7.98.
And at Best Buy as well.

Giantrobo 06-29-04 04:28 AM

That's a cool price. I remember paying that much for LP's back in the day. :lol:

kramdenfan 06-29-04 09:42 AM

Originally posted by cdollaz
I listened to clips of all 8 songs at circuitcity.com and I think it sounds like crap. Any other opinions?
I heard a bit of "Crossroads" on the radio yesterday, and was not happy at all. I will be buying it, basically because I've been a huge Rush fan for about 16 years and have all their CDs, but I can't picture this as being one I will listen to alot....

Lateralus 06-29-04 11:52 AM

Review in Media Player:

This is a riot! Rather than put out some windy and dreary box set to celebrate their 30th anniversary, Canada's seminal power prog band and one of big rock's most enduring units turns the tables and lays out hot and heavy covers of nine classics from the annals of rock & roll history. The track list is amazing, and the cool thing is that the arrangements of these nuggets are not all ripped up and mutated, either. "Summertime Blues" may begin as a nod to Jimi Hendrix's "Foxy Lady," but it comes roaring back as an acknowledged homage to the Who's Live at Leeds version. The version of Stephen Stills' "For What It's Worth" begins as a slippery little acoustic tune but quickly turns into a heavy, droning rock orgy. "The Seeker" goes for the jugular in the same way that the Who's did; Geddy's sneer has a little less contempt than Daltrey's but it's just as hungry and desperate. "Heart Full of Soul" is pure psychedelic Yardbirds elegance with a bunch of space and dimension added to redeem the track for the 21st century. The backmasked guitars on "Mr. Soul" and Neil Peart's deliberate mix of thud and snap give the cut a solid footing for Alex Lifeson to unhurriedly coax Lee's vocal along the lyric. The ringing of Lifeson's chords that barely hold this side of overblown feedback is masterful in keeping the original spirit of the song while future-dating its sonics. Rush's read of "Seven and Seven Is" is much faster that Love's original, but its barely-on-the-rails tempo is welcome in lieu of the fact that these guys are all in their fifties and play like they're kids. "Shapes of Things to Come" is fun, and a real attempt to provide nuance to a great song, especially the cross-channel fading in the guitar mix. But on "Crossroads," the other bookend of this EP, Rush give a romper-stomper wailing performance of Cream's arrangement of Robert Johnson's seminal blues tune. Lifeson leaves Eric what's-his-name in the dust. Lee may not be the vocalist that Jack Bruce is but he kicks his ass as a bass player, and his moment of glory in this cut tears the roof off the song. None of these tunes are done with an ounce of camp. What the listener encounters is a Rush that has never ever been heard before: they indulge in the hero-worship and dream roots of the garage band that eventually became Rush, and they simultaneously search for the young garage band whose members never dreamed they'd be playing these tunes 30 years later as Rush. Anyone who thinks that there is no life left in the classics of the genre needs to hear this. That something this wild and freewheeling could only be pulled off by a band with 30 years experience is not only worth noting, but celebrating. ~ Thom Jurek, All Music Guide

slop101 06-30-04 04:38 PM

Wow - this album kind of rocks. More so than the typical Rush album. CrossRoads and The Seeker especially kick my ass.

The one dissapointing track is Shapes of Things - I thought they should have done it like the Jeff Beck/Rod Stewart version from '68, instead of the old Yardbirds version which has a realy hokey melody - the later Beck version KILLS it.

The only other bummer is that it's only 27 minutes - about half of a regular album, yet it's only a couple bucks less.

Jason 06-30-04 09:38 PM

Overall it's not too bad. The problem is that when an artist does a great cover song, they make it their own. The most obvious example is Elvis' cover of Carl Perkin's "Bluew Suede Shoes." Rush have made none of these songs their own. They are all straightforward takes on the originals, sort of like they're the ultimate bar band or something.

I found Heart Full of Soul and Crossroads to be the two standout tracks. HFoS sounded really good coming out of Geddy, and they really do tear it up on Crossroads.

Aghama 07-01-04 09:45 AM

Wasn't "Roll the Bones" more than enough?

Illinois Enema Bandit 07-01-04 10:45 AM

yes, there's lots of great 60's hip-hop to choose from :D

Lateralus 07-02-04 01:55 PM

looks like Summertime Blues is getting lots of airplay around here at least, I have heard it on two different stations. I was even playing it in my work PC and some girl popped her head in and said Hey thats Rush's Summertime Blues. :eek:

Ginsu 07-03-04 02:51 AM

I just got back from their show at the White River Amphitheater. Last time I saw them was on the Moving Pictures tour in Seattle. Can't believe how good the show was tonight. First half was a little mild but after the intermission they tore it up. 31 song set.

Of the cover tunes I liked The Seeker and Heart Full Of Soul best. I could live without Crossroads and Summertime Blues.

If you have the chance to see this tour..... GO!

Giantrobo 07-03-04 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Aghama
Wasn't "Roll the Bones" more than enough?

nope.