Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Charlatans (UK) 'Up at the Lake' - US release?

Old 05-13-04, 08:07 AM

Charlatans (UK) 'Up at the Lake' - US release?

I konw that this is getting released in the UK next Monday, but I was wondering if there was any word if and when it get a US release?

Charlatans - Up at the Lake
Old 05-13-04, 09:14 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

giles is worried about getting extra tracks on the US release

I responded to your e-mail, not sure if you got it or not, probably into your junk folder.

Last edited by BDB; 05-13-04 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-13-04, 09:16 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

ack and damn you now I had to go order that and the streets and the keane cd.
Old 05-13-04, 10:01 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

hmm!

Up At The Lake
Feel The Pressure
As I Watch You In Disbelief
Cry Yourself To Sleep
Bona Fide Treasure
High In Your Tree
Blue For You
Iíll Sing A Hymn
Loving You Is Easy
Try Again Today
Apples And Oranges
Dead Love

UK and Japanese as above. The rest of the world release will be an 11-track album and will not include the song 'I'll Sing A Hymn'.
Old 05-13-04, 10:24 AM

I downloaded a promo an advance promo rip of this album and I love it. It's my favorite album of the year so far, and a great follow up to Wonderland. Their official website has the whole album streaming if you don't want to wait to listen to it. I think you have to register first, but the quality is pretty good for streaming. Look at the audio section under media.

http://thecharlatans.net/

BadlyDrawnBoy, that Keane album is great. Badly Drawn Boy's new album, "One Plus One Is One" is coming out June 21st. I downloaded an advance copy of that also, it sounds great. I just assumed you were a fan.
Old 05-13-04, 11:04 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Sure am a fan, I've stopped downloading advance stuff, to just enjoy the music more when I get it.

I liked the keane singles a lot, a friend in Wales told me to check them out then a month later they were at nr. 1

I see bdb also has a dvd coming out that will be great. His videos are very smart.
Old 05-13-04, 11:53 AM

If you liked the Keane singles, you'll probably like the album also. The sound is pretty much the same. There sure has been quite a bit of build up for the album's release, so it should chart pretty high.

A Badly Drawn Boy video collection sounds pretty cool. I haven't seen many of his videos, but the ones I've seen have been good. I might have to check it out.

As for Giles's question, I did some searching around, and evidently they don't have a record label in the US . They're in negotiations with a label, but I'm sure that will delay the release for some time.
Old 05-13-04, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
giles is worried about getting extra tracks on the US release

I responded to your e-mail, not sure if you got it or not, probably into your junk folder.
you read my mind, it's like you have ESPN or something

Well, it looks like I might as well order the UK import from Amazon anyway. I just ordered the Keane album and considering getting The Delays, Zutons and The Bandits albums as well.

Last edited by Giles; 05-13-04 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Giles
Well, it looks like I might as well order the UK import from Amazon anyway. I just ordered the Keane album and considering getting The Delays, Zutons and The Bandits albums as well.
All great albums Giles, though The Bandits album isn't as good as the others, imo. If you like those bands, you should check out The Stands. Their debut album All Years Leaving is one of my favorite albums of the year so far along with Up At The Lake and The Delays album.

Last edited by birdseye; 05-13-04 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-14-04, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have it on pre-order from Amazon UK.

The Charlatans are one of my all-time favorite bands....and I have never seen them live

I've been lucky enough to see some of my other favorite Brit bands: Lush, Ride, Blur, Kula Shaker, Doves .....but never got to see The Stone Roses,The Darling Buds, Elastica, or The Primitives.

Curve has a new UK only two disc release coming out this month as well. Just got notice that it has been shipped!

Are Graham Coxon's solo CDs any good?
Old 05-14-04, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by LiquidSky
I have it on pre-order from Amazon UK.

The Charlatans are one of my all-time favorite bands....and I have never seen them live

I've been lucky enough to see some of my other favorite Brit bands: Lush, Ride, Blur, Kula Shaker, Doves .....but never got to see The Stone Roses,The Darling Buds, Elastica, or The Primitives.

Curve has a new UK only two disc release coming out this month as well. Just got notice that it has been shipped!

you saw Ride - cool - do you have the four disc box set of their albums

OX4 - Box Set.

I can say that I saw The Stone Roses - their infamous Reading Music Festival final show - oh it was soooo painful and sad.

Have you heard if and when the new Doves album is slated for release?

Have you seen Curve live - this was my first exposure to British music and needless to say it was intense.

I haven't heard Graham's solo albums but generally I haven't read any favourable reviews of them.
Old 05-14-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you saw Ride - cool - do you have the four disc box set of their albums

OX4 - Box Set.

I can say that I saw The Stone Roses - their infamous Reading Music Festival final show - oh it was soooo painful and sad.

Have you seen Curve live - this was my first exposure to British music and needless to say it was intense.

I haven't heard Graham's solo albums but generally I haven't read any favourable reviews of them.
I don't have the Ride box set...just the individual discs. Yeah, I saw Ride and Lush at the same show...it was great!

What happened @ The Stone Roses' final show?

I haven't heard anything on the new Doves CD.

The closest Curve came is Atlanta and I had to work They are one of my favorite bands as well. I cannot wait to get this new 2 disc set. The first disc will be singles and songs picked by the fans, the second disc is b-sides and other rare tunes.
Old 05-14-04, 10:00 AM

I don't have the Ride box set...just the individual discs. Yeah, I saw Ride and Lush at the same show...it was great!

What happened @ The Stone Roses' final show?

so who was the opener and headliner of the Ride/Lush show - Ride was the opener, right?

The last Stone Roses show was like watching a train wreck in slow motion - Ian Brown was soooo off tune that he eviscerated his own songs. The crowd response was unbelievable, some were in tears, others like myself, were completely dumbfounded. The crowd tried to counterbalance Ian's terrible singing by singing along, that didn't help. Given there were three other stages with other bands, droves of people just started to walk away and join another band in mid-set. What should have been a fantastic set was a joke - a very sad way to end a bands career on such a terrible note (literally).

Last edited by Giles; 05-14-04 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-14-04, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Giles: Ride and Lush switched every night on that tour. So, that night Lush played first. Both played full sets. One of the best shows I've been to.

Doves: I went to a music festival and sat through a bunch of crap bands. Doves only played six songs (the allotted amount for each band). It would have been much cooler to have seen them in an indoor venue with just them and an opening band.
Old 05-14-04, 11:51 AM

I tried finding a release date, but evidently there isn't one yet. They're still recording and it's supposed to be out later this year. I can't wait for their new album, I loved their first two, especially The Last Broadcast.

I don't really like his earlier solo albums that much, but his new album, Happiness In Magazines is pretty good. I think it comes out May 17th in the UK. It sounds a lot like mid-90's Blur. He worked with Stephen Street, who also produced Blur's Parklife and The Great Escape.
Old 05-14-04, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by birdseye
I

I don't really like his earlier solo albums that much, but his new album, Happiness In Magazines is pretty good. I think it comes out May 17th in the UK. It sounds a lot like mid-90's Blur. He worked with Stephen Street, who also produced Blur's Parklife and The Great Escape.
May 17th is turning out to be a great date for new releases in the UK:

Graham Coxen - Happiness in Magazines
Ash - Meltdown (two versions: single CD edition, Limited edition with a bonus 'live' disc)
Charlatans - Up at the Lake
Two Lone Swordmen - From the Double Gone Chapel
Gomez - Split the Difference
Morrissey - You Are the Quarry (two releases: standard single CD release and another one with the CD + PAL Region 2 DVD)
Old 05-24-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received the new Charlatans CD from Amazon UK this weekend. Excellent CD!
Old 05-24-04, 07:36 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I concur, although for some reason I have been listening to tracks 8 thru 12, all are fantastic.
Old 05-24-04, 07:40 AM

I got my copy on Friday have had only a chance to listen to the first four tracks - I like it.
Old 05-24-04, 08:06 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Do you guys find that amazon uk's packaging is crap?

I got
Keane
The Streets
and The Charlatans CDs in one package on Friday
and all 3 cases were broken.
Old 05-24-04, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Do you guys find that amazon uk's packaging is crap...
and all 3 cases were broken.
really, no! I have never received a disc with cracked cases. that sucks...
Old 05-24-04, 08:37 AM

is there any exclusive tracks on the Streets album that isn't on the domestic edition?
Old 05-24-04, 08:56 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Nope same 11 tracks.

I just find amazon uk packaging for cds to be terrible.
I'll pop them off an e-mail.