Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Your favorite "lost albums"?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Your favorite "lost albums"?

Old 05-14-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Springsteen albums -

The Ties That Bind - the single disc follow-up to Darkness on the Edge of Town that was inflated with extra tracks to become The River.

Murder Incorporated - would have been the 1984 album, with tracks like Murder Inc and Born in the USA. Instead, we got Born in the USA...
Old 05-20-04, 05:12 PM

The Cramps: Songs the Lord Taught Us mixed by the band rather than Alex Chilton. LP mis-printed in the UK, and while most of the misprints were distroyed (never got further than a run of white-labels afaik), some copies got away.
Old 05-20-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Decline of Western Civilization Pt. 1.

okay, I have to take this back now. After doing a little research, the original writer/director has bought back the rights to all three parts of this documentary and will be releasing them in a DVD box set soon.

This album was the soundtrack of my punk youth.

Last edited by Tsar Chasm; 05-20-04 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 04:20 AM

Aside from Prince pulling 'The Black Album' at the last minute, only to have it released five years later to meet requirements to escape his WB contract, there have been quite a few other 'lost' Prince albums that have never been released (Thank goodness for bootlegs!)

My favorite among the several unreleased:

Dream Factory - This was actually pressed on cd, but was never released, as Prince broke up The Revolution and adjusted the tracks contained on the album (Took off 'Moviestar', 'Crystal Ball', the title track, 'Train', etc.) with other material he was working on (The Camille album - His high pitched voice featured on 'Housequake', etc., and 'Crystal Ball' - Which Prince wanted to release as a three LP set) to form the released masterpiece, 'Sign 'O' The Times'. The cd boot available has the original 'Dream Factory' album in perfect quality, the way it was meant to be heard. It's one of my favorite Prince albums.

'Crystal Ball', 'Camille', 'Rave Unto The Joy Fantastic' (Not the released version on Arista, but the album Prince was working on in the late 80's, after SOTT and before Black Album/Lovesexy), 'High' (NPGMC completed album that was broken up and released in parts online in different album formats), the original followup to '1999' (Which was meant to feature 'Moonbeam Levels', which was also supposed to appear on the '87 Rave album that never came to be, 'Electric Intercourse' was also meant for the follow up, as were a few tracks that made it to 'Purple Rain'. The reason this album never came to be was that Prince was working even harder than usual on the film/music Purple Rain project, and he was looking for the album to be perfect - in the sense that it would make him a superstar. The result was a success.)

I think there are a couple more, but in total, you have an artist that released an album a year for his entire career (Minus the one year break off from '1999' to 'Purple Rain') that has plenty of firepower locked away in his vaults. I have the recordings for all these unreleased albums, and they are fantastic (With 'High' having some solid songs, but not working out that well as an album in general). Hell, his studio outtakes take up over thirty discs in my collection. The man is a true musician, plain and simple...

j.
Old 05-24-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Suprmallet
The first thing I thought when I read the title was The Beach Boys' Smile. I've got a CD that reconstructs as best as possible, through studio notes, what Brian Wilson wanted. Even in its unfinished form, it is an amazing CD and would have been considered the masterpiece of 1960's art rock (so long, Sgt. Pepper), had Wilson actually been well enough to finish it.
I read recently he's performing the album at concerts in the UK and has begun re-recording the album.
Old 05-24-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
I read recently he's performing the album at concerts in the UK and has begun re-recording the album.
There was a big article in the March issue of Mojo about this. Pretty interesting reading and I'm not really a BB/Wilson fan at all.

-Gunshy