DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   reminder: new cure song to debut on Leno tonight. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/361635-reminder-new-cure-song-debut-leno-tonight.html)

whynotsmile 04-30-04 10:33 PM

reminder: new cure song to debut on Leno tonight.

the cure will be on the tonight show with jay leno, performing for the first time their new single off of their upcoming album. I was planing on going, but my chances were slim of getting in due to school and such. ah shucks.

new album is produced by the guy who did a bunch of Slipknot and korn albums. Apparently supposed to be a very "dark" record. I usually enjoy "light" cure the most, but still looking foward to this.

joefrog91 05-01-04 12:03 AM

I think the song was very good. It's classic Cure. Here's an article from Billboard magazine about the new self-titled album.

The Cure's first album in four years will be a self-titled affair, frontman Robert Smith announced last night (April 28) in New York at the first playback of the upcoming release. "The Cure" will arrive June 29 on producer Ross Robinson's I Am imprint via Geffen. The group will perform first single "The End of the World" tomorrow on NBC's "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" and headline the Coachella festival on Sunday in Indio, Calif.

"I think it's the best thing we've ever done," Smith said proudly. "The album is called 'The Cure.' If you don't like it, then you don't like us." Smith stood silently in the corner of the room by himself while the 14-track album was played for about 40 journalists and guests, occasionally taking notes in preparation for approving the final mix and running order.

The album kicks off with the slow, discordant "Lost," featuring the first of many impassioned vocal performances from Smith. A throbbing bass groove powers the tentatively titled "Labyrinths," with Smith wailing, "It's not the same / it never was like this / everything has to change."

The classic Cure sound is evident on such tracks as "Before 3," "Taking Off" and "I Don't Know What's Going On," which sport great melodies and foot-tapping tempos. The 12th track, the tentatively titled "Jason #3" provides the album with a late shot of energy thanks to a clever, melodically ascending chorus.

But the album has its share of dark and intense material, particularly the epic penultimate track "The Promise," which runs past 10 minutes and climaxes in feedback and noise. "Us or Them" matches its confrontational title with an emphatic chorus ("I don't want you anywhere near me"), while "Going Nowhere" wraps things up with sad, dreamy production accented by piano.

<b>"There was a moment where we had to decide whether to do some conceptual experiment with nothing over 100 [beats-per-minute], and all of us with our heads down making a heavy, heavy album, but it wouldn't be as good," Smith said. "The best Cure albums have a balance."</b>

Smith revealed that former guitarist Porl Thompson, who left the Cure in 1993, recorded parts for a couple of tracks. At Robinson's urging, basic tracks were recorded live, yet another throwback to an earlier time.

"Ross wanted to record us as a band, which we really hadn't done since the second album we ever made," Smith said. "The days would build up into these intense periods until we'd get the song. Everything was played live and I had to sing live."

Smith held back on giving details of the band's summer tour, which is rumored to feature such Cure-inspired new acts as Interpol, the Rapture and Mogwai, but promised, "You'll enjoy the whole thing because it was put together by us."

Here is the tentative track list for "The Cure":

"Lost" "Labyrinths" (working title) "Before 3" (working title) "Truth Goodness and Beauty" "The End of the World" "I Don't Know What's Going On" "Taking Off" "Anniversary" "This Morning" "Us or Them" "Precious Advise" (working title) "Jason #3" (working title) "The Promise" "Going Nowhere" -- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y

shaggy 05-01-04 12:04 AM

Has anyone found the single online yet?

From what I've heard, this new album has a mix of "light" and "dark" cure.

blinkin_winkin 05-01-04 12:30 AM

The Cure touring with Interpol!!?!?!! Woah! i'm there!

SomeVoices 05-01-04 01:10 AM

Originally posted by blinkin_winkin
The Cure touring with Interpol!!?!?!! Woah! i'm there!
And/or Mogwai!! Awesome news!

whynotsmile 05-01-04 11:35 AM

ah right on, i love the rapture!!

i think i really like thier new song. probably will sound better when we hear it on the radio, not when its being performed. bunch of the lines made me smile. sounds like classic cure.

i loved all the fans during the leno taping. did you guys see thta one goth chick with the robert smith hair giving a thumbs down when leno announced Ellen. Funny stuff. Man now im sad i didn't try and get tickets.