DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   ever double dip on music? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/361621-ever-double-dip-music.html)

Rypro 525 04-30-04 09:56 PM

ever double dip on music?

I just got the ACDC album "for those about to rock" in the new 2003 remasters, and am completly spoiled by the sound of these, so i might be rebuying all the classic acdc albums again. and i thought the 95 albums sounded great.

Lateralus 04-30-04 10:17 PM

I bought the Rush remasters from BMG back in 97' They really really sounded much better than those ADD or AAD recordings.

Brain Stew 04-30-04 10:36 PM

Tons

Bought: Grateful Dead's Golden Road Box Set
Replaced: American Beauty

Bought: Pearl Jam's Lost Dogs
Replaced: Jeremy Single

Bought: Weezer's Blue Album Deluxe Edition
Replaced: Blue Album

Bought: The Who's Who's Next Deluxe Edition
Replaced:Who's Next Remaster from 1995

I can't think of any others.

Randy Miller III 04-30-04 11:47 PM

I've upgraded to a few SACD discs (Bjork, Pink Floyd, etc.)

Fielding Mellish 05-01-04 08:42 AM

Any Elvis Costello fans out there?

Share your pain with these fine people.

wendersfan 05-01-04 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
Any Elvis Costello fans out there?

Share your pain with these fine people.

No kidding.

Actually, all you young whippersnappers have no idea about double dipping... Do you have any idea how many albums I own on vinyl and CD? It's gotta be in the hundreds.

iggystar 05-01-04 08:19 PM

Yeah, the same with cassette and CD. And I had the nerve to buy one of those new cars that don't have a cassette and CD player, which means I'm slowly replacing my cassette collection. Not to mention the CD I was careless with during my young days that I've had to replace. Please, my collection would be double the size it is now.

Rypro 525 05-03-04 12:42 PM

no i meant double dipping on cds (most of us have upgraded from vhs/laserdisc to dvd, but we don't conster it double dipping.

Snowmaker 05-03-04 12:59 PM

Oh yeah!

Iron Maiden (for all the 2-disk Castle Records CDs)
Queensryche (Remasters)
Judas Priest (Remasters)
Rush (a couple remasters)

I'm planning on all the Megadeth remasters too.

Chrisedge 05-03-04 01:26 PM

X = All the remasters
The Knack = Get the Knack Remaster

iggystar 05-03-04 02:17 PM

It's double dipping to me if I had to buy it twice. But I get what you mean.

entitee 05-03-04 02:33 PM

i've bought quite a few of my old CDs on vinyl.
sounds backwards doesn't it?

sataniko 05-03-04 04:19 PM

When it comes to music, I'm always double dipping.

woofman 05-03-04 04:55 PM

Some of the Iron Maiden remasters, and the Reign in Blood remaster.

Mordred 05-04-04 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus
I bought the Rush remasters from BMG back in 97' They really really sounded much better than those ADD or AAD recordings.
Not saying they don't sound better, but how is it possible that the new remasters weren't ADD or AAD?

They had to be recorded analog and since they're on CD they are digital so unless there's a 3rd option I don't know about they have to be one of the two.

Giles 05-04-04 02:16 PM

Pink Floyd - Darkside - CD, Gold CD, SACD
The Who - Tommy - CD, SACD
Feeder - Comfort in Sound - import CD, Import CD-reissue with bonus DVD, import SACD
Grandaddy - Sumday - CD, Import CD with bonus disc
Ash - Free All Angels- import CD, domestic CD with bonus DVD, import French edition with bonus disc.
Pulp - This is Hardcore - domestic CD, import reissue with bonus 'Glastonbury' live recording.
Orbital - In Sides - domestic CD with bonus disc, second domestic CD edition with bonus disc (alternate tracklisting)
Jega - Geometry - domestic CD, import CD with alternate tracks.
Polyphonic Spree - domestic CD, import CD with bonus DVD.

I could go through my entire CD collection and find around two dozen more albums where reissues and imports with 'exclusive' tracks I had to own.

SubZeri 05-04-04 07:43 PM

[i] - In Sides - domestic CD with bonus disc, import CD with alternate bonus disc (different tracklisting)
Just to clarify, both of the In Sides with bonus cds are US releases, not import(s). The first release that combined The Box/Times Fly is considerably more scarce than the second issue that had Satan Live/The Saint/Halcyon Live.
While we're talking about double dipping, I'd like to relate to the above by saying I have 3 different cd copies and one vinyl copy of In Sides.
Jon

deadlax 05-04-04 09:19 PM

anything i own that makes it to hi-res, quality remasterings, and some deluxe editions.

Son-volt 05-05-04 12:03 AM

I double-dipped on all the Uncle Tupelo discs for the remastered sound and bonus tracks. Same for the Jayhawk's Blue Earth CD. I also have a handful of CD singles that feature a single album track.... and I also have that album. But that's 'cause there are some bands I'm a bit of a completionist for... and according to my girlfriend a bit of a tool.

Giles 05-05-04 09:30 AM

Originally posted by SubZeri
Just to clarify, both of the In Sides with bonus cds are US releases, not import(s). The first release that combined The Box/Times Fly is considerably more scarce than the second issue that had Satan Live/The Saint/Halcyon Live.
While we're talking about double dipping, I'd like to relate to the above by saying I have 3 different cd copies and one vinyl copy of In Sides.
Jon

noted and corrected in my list - sorry (stream of consciousness tends to convery wrong or misleading info at times).

sauce07 05-11-04 06:10 AM

Yoshimi vs. The Pink Robots- had the cd bought the DVD-A.
Best CD Collection Ever

fallow 05-11-04 05:43 PM

I recently bought some Talking Heads, PiL, Human League, and Pere Ubu vinyl. Not to replace my CDs, though, I just wanted both formats.

Captain Harlock 05-11-04 08:02 PM

I usually only double dip when I'm replacing something that has been lost by one of my siblings or has been FUBAR'ed.