DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The furthest you've travelled to see a band? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/360915-furthest-youve-travelled-see-band.html)

Patman 04-27-04 03:14 PM

The furthest you've travelled to see a band?

I ask this after buying tickets to see a band in Boston, even though I'll have to fly there from Atlanta, solely to see the band, though there's plenty of sight-seeing to do in the afternoons.

Giles 04-27-04 03:19 PM

flew up to Toronto (from DC) with a friend to see the Stereophonics at Lee's Palace. Funny thing was after arriving found out I had left the tickets at home, Ticketmaster Canada was very very nice and sympathic and got us replacement tix. (never in a million years would Ticketmaster (bastards) in the states would ever do this).

antennaball 04-27-04 03:39 PM

From San Marcos (Austin area) to Dallas for the first Summer Sanitarium. That's about my limit.

Gdrlv 04-27-04 03:59 PM

Tough question, I've traveled far and often to see Phish. The furthest has probably been Vegas to Atlanta.

Furthest travel for a band other than Phish...
Pittsburgh to Toronto for Beastie Boys.

auto 04-27-04 04:37 PM

Well, this weekend I will travel from Ypsilanti, Michigan all the way to Indio, California to see a handful of bands play in the desert.

whynotsmile 04-27-04 05:41 PM

jay, its going to be hot as a mo fo there. bring water and sun screen and have some fun. let us know how it is. i'll be jealous. at least ill get a mini CURE fix when i go to see them on leno on friday.

farthest i have traveled? probably 25 miles. no more.

Celtic Bob 04-27-04 05:55 PM

In 2002 i travelled halfway across Canada (NL, to Ont.) to see the Poison,Cinderella,Winger and Faster Pussycat show.
In 2003 I basically did the same when Poison, Vince Neil and Skid Row played London,Ont.
This year doing it again except to goto the 30th Anniversary HELIX show in Brantford.

Link to last years review of the show.
http://www.metal-rules.com/concerts/Poison2003.htm

there is a link within that review to 2002's show.

blinkin_winkin 04-27-04 06:33 PM

All of my long, long trips have been for Dave Matthews concerts. I live in Northern Michigan so almost all of my concert adventures are friggen road trips.

I saw DMB in Washington D.C. It was during a family trip around the east so we just planned our vacation around it a little.

I saw DM and Friends in Chicago. I saw DMB near Indianapolis and I'll be doing it again this summer along with Phish.

If Radiohead comes back around again sometime I'll travel to see them. They NEVER play in Michigan. :(

gutwrencher 04-27-04 11:31 PM

about 350 miles to see Jeff Beck and SRV. good thing since Stevie died 2 weeks later.

Buford T Pusser 04-28-04 12:36 AM

500 miles four times.

Brian Wilson

Inspiral Carpets

Material Issue

Rezillos

I've also done a few flown to LA from the midwest to see bands, but I also had business there.

200 miles-

Space (the guy lost his voice and they didn't play plus Mrs. Pusser got food poisoning before the supposed show)

Beach Boys

Stranglers

almost went to the UK to see a tour of theirs when my friends band, Material Issue, was opening for them.

Ergyu 04-28-04 02:21 AM

Portland to Reno for Tool
Portland to Sacramento for Tool
Many times Medford to Portland for NIN, Tool, other bands

vdadlani219 04-28-04 04:31 AM

Los Angeles, CA to Kansas City, MO

for a TapRoot concert. Although the concert was in Lawrence, KS, my friend lived in KC, and I usually head out there once a year. But I did plan my trip out there to coincide with the concert. Does that count? DOES IT?

custom001 04-28-04 04:41 AM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser

Inspiral Carpets

I never saw them live :(
Lucky you. Were they as great as I think they were?

On topic: About 450 miles from Vienna to Prague to see Pearl Jam since the didn't play in Austria.

Jack's Smirking 04-28-04 08:06 AM

Originally posted by jay77
Well, this weekend I will travel from Ypsilanti, Michigan all the way to Indio, California to see a handful of bands play in the desert.
Change Ypsilanti, Michigan to St. Petersburg, Florida and that could be my answer.

I flew from Tampa Bay to Seattle to see Pearl Jam, but it was for 3 concerts in 4 nights, so it was more than worth it.

fuzzbox 04-28-04 09:00 AM

I planned a vacation to England from Boston, scheduling it around a concert by The Orb. Does that count?

[email protected] 04-28-04 09:06 AM

Do festivals count? I've gone from Boston to San Diego (Street Scene) and Seattle (Bumbershoot) and Austin (SXSW) and New Orleans (Jazz Fest) and many more....

Buford T Pusser 04-28-04 09:44 AM

Originally posted by custom001
I never saw them live :(
Lucky you. Were they as great as I think they were?

On topic: About 450 miles from Vienna to Prague to see Pearl Jam since the didn't play in Austria.

Yes they were great.

We were in NJ visiting my wife's family and saw Material Issue at a club in Asbury Park. We noticed that Inspiral Carpets were going to be there in two weeks so we just had to drive the 1000 mile round trip again to see them. I figured it might be our only chance and I was correct.

We didn't buy a t-shirt and had second thoughts but the sales were closed up. So Mrs. Pusser got the drummer's attention and he gave her one. Then he closed his eyes and leaned forward for a kiss. Cruelly, she said "THANKS!" and ran off.

EvilConradBain 04-28-04 09:52 AM

I saw The Hives in Amsterdam. I actually didn't plan on seeing The Hives I was on a Eurotrip and it just enede up they were playing one of the three days I was going to be there. I saw G-Unit in NY but the tickets were free.

Buford T Pusser 04-28-04 09:54 AM

I almost went to Holland to see Gruppo Sportivo. A friend was house sitting for one of the Grupettes and invited me.

When we found the flight was over $1000 I opted out. :(

oppie1 04-28-04 10:04 AM

Philly to San Fran then down to Santa Barbara to see Pearl Jam

GoVegan 04-28-04 10:15 AM

I planned a vacation around the final James concert - Milwaukee, WI to London, England.

The furthest I've travelled just for a concert was flying from Minneapolis to Denver to see two shows by Johnette Napolitano, the lead singer of Concrete Blonde. Actually, it was flying to Denver, then driving six or seven hours to Albuquerque for a show that night, then driving back to Denver the next day for the other concert. It was definitely worth it.

cdollaz 04-28-04 11:43 AM

Houston to San Antonio

Scot1458 04-28-04 12:40 PM

If GENESIS does a re-union, I'll fly to England.

GuessWho 04-28-04 02:06 PM

90 minute drive.

SnoopDogg 04-28-04 03:30 PM

Only about 350 Miles.

slop101 04-28-04 04:15 PM

aprox. 12,000 miles from SoCal to London to see Ocean Colour Scene - I visited some friends while there, but it was mostly to see OCS, who have only played the states twice over the last 10 years (I've also gone to NY to see them).

Willy 04-28-04 04:37 PM

From Athens Ga to Norfolk VA to see APC then the opening band ( pigmy love circus ) was staying at the same motel we were about to leave after hanging out with them and they put us on the guest list for the DC show the next night.

GMLSKIS 04-28-04 04:43 PM

About 22 years ago I drove 200 miles to see Olivia Newton John. I got home at 3:30 a.m. and had to be back at work at 7a.m.

RevLiver 04-30-04 10:32 AM

Drove from New Jersey to Tulsa, Oklahoma in 21 hours to see a radio festival with Stabbing Westward and some other bands back in 1998. Well, it was also to visit a friend there.

Same year, drove 5 hours from York, PA to Poughkeepsie, NY for a show, then 5 hours back to York. Next day drove from York to Washington, DC for a show and back. Nearly fell asleep while driving for that one.

Peep 04-30-04 05:23 PM

Rented a car and drove from Paris France to Ghent, Belgium for a Nirvana/Hole double bill.

Followed The Muffs (by car) on their West Coast Tour from LA up to Canada and back down again, catch 5 or 6 shows.

Patman 05-05-04 02:47 PM

The main reason I'm going so far for this concert is because the band is from Ireland, and the next time they'll be coming back to the States is probably 2010, so that's the primary motivating factor for me. Otherwise, I doubt I'd entertain such a trip. Plus living in Atlanta affords me the opportunity to see most of the major bands that tour around the country.

Penny Lane 05-05-04 11:31 PM

three hours, but that's about the norm for me. Hopefully, we will soon live in a city that's closer to cities that have heavy concert traffic. It would be like heaven.

Patman 05-07-04 11:11 AM

I need mental help, I just bought a 2nd ticket because my first ticket was 30 rows back on the left side of the stage, and then I was just browsing around and noticed that I could buy a ticket that was just 3 rows back on the left side, so I bought that ticket as well. I guess I'll try to sell the first ticket on site or give it away on concert day.

Deftones 05-07-04 12:27 PM

I've got to California to see Slipknot and Vegas to see Pantera, but I just happened to be there already. ;)

I'd say the farthest is probably to Tucson from Phoenix to see Korn and Rob Zombie.

DaveNinja 05-07-04 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser

Rezillos

Nice!

what was Material Issues hit? i remember that cd back from the dave kendall 120 minutes days.

I cant remember travelling to far, maybe an hour and a half from santa cruz to san fran to see G.G. Allin a couple months before he died. I've travelled far to play shows but that was tour so it doesnt count.

MJKTool 05-07-04 02:45 PM

About 3 hrs from LA to Vegas (Tool)

One of the few things I like about L.A. is that most bands eventually play here so there is no need to travel really.

costanza 05-07-04 06:06 PM

i'm going from las vegas to green bay to see counting crows next month. my parents live in the u.p. of michigan, so it's kind of a double dip trip.

Buford T Pusser 05-07-04 08:14 PM

Originally posted by DaveNinja
Nice!

what was Material Issues hit? i remember that cd back from the dave kendall 120 minutes days.

A friend and I saw the Rezillos play Hoboken and the New Brunswick the next night. EXCELLENT STUFF.

Material Issue's biggest hits were probably "Kim the Waitress", "What Girls Want", "Valerie Loves Me" and "Diane".

Great fun!

Dvdsky 05-09-04 02:42 PM

My longest is probably 600 miles, from Pittsburgh to Boston (via Philly) for the 1996 Phish New Year's run. Second place would be about 400 miles, New York City to Hampton, VA to go between the 12/31/02 Phish show and the 1/2/03 Phish show.

I don't travel all that far for Phish shows compared to some other people I know, who routinely fly cross-country to catch some shows...

J-Dubya 05-09-04 07:56 PM

omaha to oakland to see U2, omaha to Denver for Lollapalooza