DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The furthest you've travelled to see a band? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/360915-furthest-youve-travelled-see-band.html)

slop101 04-28-04 04:15 PM

aprox. 12,000 miles from SoCal to London to see Ocean Colour Scene - I visited some friends while there, but it was mostly to see OCS, who have only played the states twice over the last 10 years (I've also gone to NY to see them).

Willy 04-28-04 04:37 PM

From Athens Ga to Norfolk VA to see APC then the opening band ( pigmy love circus ) was staying at the same motel we were about to leave after hanging out with them and they put us on the guest list for the DC show the next night.

GMLSKIS 04-28-04 04:43 PM

About 22 years ago I drove 200 miles to see Olivia Newton John. I got home at 3:30 a.m. and had to be back at work at 7a.m.

RevLiver 04-30-04 10:32 AM

Drove from New Jersey to Tulsa, Oklahoma in 21 hours to see a radio festival with Stabbing Westward and some other bands back in 1998. Well, it was also to visit a friend there.

Same year, drove 5 hours from York, PA to Poughkeepsie, NY for a show, then 5 hours back to York. Next day drove from York to Washington, DC for a show and back. Nearly fell asleep while driving for that one.

Peep 04-30-04 05:23 PM

Rented a car and drove from Paris France to Ghent, Belgium for a Nirvana/Hole double bill.

Followed The Muffs (by car) on their West Coast Tour from LA up to Canada and back down again, catch 5 or 6 shows.

Patman 05-05-04 02:47 PM

The main reason I'm going so far for this concert is because the band is from Ireland, and the next time they'll be coming back to the States is probably 2010, so that's the primary motivating factor for me. Otherwise, I doubt I'd entertain such a trip. Plus living in Atlanta affords me the opportunity to see most of the major bands that tour around the country.

Penny Lane 05-05-04 11:31 PM

three hours, but that's about the norm for me. Hopefully, we will soon live in a city that's closer to cities that have heavy concert traffic. It would be like heaven.

Patman 05-07-04 11:11 AM

I need mental help, I just bought a 2nd ticket because my first ticket was 30 rows back on the left side of the stage, and then I was just browsing around and noticed that I could buy a ticket that was just 3 rows back on the left side, so I bought that ticket as well. I guess I'll try to sell the first ticket on site or give it away on concert day.

Deftones 05-07-04 12:27 PM

I've got to California to see Slipknot and Vegas to see Pantera, but I just happened to be there already. ;)

I'd say the farthest is probably to Tucson from Phoenix to see Korn and Rob Zombie.

DaveNinja 05-07-04 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser

Rezillos

Nice!

what was Material Issues hit? i remember that cd back from the dave kendall 120 minutes days.

I cant remember travelling to far, maybe an hour and a half from santa cruz to san fran to see G.G. Allin a couple months before he died. I've travelled far to play shows but that was tour so it doesnt count.

MJKTool 05-07-04 02:45 PM

About 3 hrs from LA to Vegas (Tool)

One of the few things I like about L.A. is that most bands eventually play here so there is no need to travel really.

costanza 05-07-04 06:06 PM

i'm going from las vegas to green bay to see counting crows next month. my parents live in the u.p. of michigan, so it's kind of a double dip trip.

Buford T Pusser 05-07-04 08:14 PM

Originally posted by DaveNinja
Nice!

what was Material Issues hit? i remember that cd back from the dave kendall 120 minutes days.

A friend and I saw the Rezillos play Hoboken and the New Brunswick the next night. EXCELLENT STUFF.

Material Issue's biggest hits were probably "Kim the Waitress", "What Girls Want", "Valerie Loves Me" and "Diane".

Great fun!

Dvdsky 05-09-04 02:42 PM

My longest is probably 600 miles, from Pittsburgh to Boston (via Philly) for the 1996 Phish New Year's run. Second place would be about 400 miles, New York City to Hampton, VA to go between the 12/31/02 Phish show and the 1/2/03 Phish show.

I don't travel all that far for Phish shows compared to some other people I know, who routinely fly cross-country to catch some shows...

J-Dubya 05-09-04 07:56 PM

omaha to oakland to see U2, omaha to Denver for Lollapalooza

turborobb 05-10-04 02:08 AM

I drove almost 5 hours to go see Warrant, because they are one of the best live bands ever.

I also drove 4 hours to go see KISS on thier unplugged tour

asianxcore 05-10-04 08:34 PM

drove in a really bad storm to Orangevale, California, to see Hatebreed. usually a 1 hour 40 minute drive, turned out to be almost 3 hours. also flew from michigan to syracuse, new york for Hellfest.

sauce07 05-11-04 05:20 AM

it took me 18 hours to get to the phish festival in maine last summer(from VA).

DaveNinja 05-11-04 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
Material Issue's biggest hits were probably "Kim the Waitress", "What Girls Want", "Valerie Loves Me" and "Diane".

Great fun!

Valerie Loves Me is the video i remember seeing. It used to be on 120 minutes all the time.

Walter Mitty 05-11-04 02:08 PM

Dallas to Atlanta to see the Dead. didn't get in but I tripped a lot. :D

Took a few trips from Dallas to Colorado to see Phish as well. Got in.

nazz 05-11-04 11:03 PM

We flew from Indiana to Atlantic City to see Crosby, Stills & Nash each night through Valentine's weekend.

We had the added motivation of being invited to hang out back stage each night by David.

Giles 05-11-04 11:21 PM

How I could I forget, der, even though I flew to Toronto to see the Stereophonics - two friends and I flew across the Atlantic and saw them perform in Wales. Also saw U2 at Wembley Stadium in London.

shaggy 05-13-04 02:57 AM

Niagara Falls, NY to Miami Florida to See u2 kick off the Elevation Tour. I plan on going to the opening show again

mljones99 05-13-04 10:38 PM

Originally posted by antennaball
From San Marcos (Austin area) to Dallas for the first Summer Sanitarium. That's about my limit.
Exactly the same show for me except I was living on the NW side of Ausitn at the time.

Now I won't go to a concert unless it's here in town, preferably at the Verizon Wireless Ampitheater which is close enough I could easily walk to.

movieking 05-14-04 10:22 PM

Patman: What band are you going to see? You've piqued my curiosity.

The furthest that I have travelled is 1,705 Miles (or 2,744 Kilometers) to see Bruce Springsteen in concert. I have been a huge Springsteen fan for years, so myself and my girlfriend bite the bullet and flew to Ottawa to see him. Well worth the trip :up: