DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Sevendust - Southside Double Wide Acoustic Live 5/4/4 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/360044-sevendust-southside-double-wide-acoustic-live-5-4-4-a.html)

db27 04-22-04 02:13 PM

Sevendust - Southside Double Wide Acoustic Live 5/4/4

Howdy folks, I know that most haven't heard of Sevendust, but for those of you who have and enjoy them or for those curious about them you should check out the live acoustic CD coming out on May 4th

Will come as a CD/DVD package of the entire show recorded in Atlanta, GA. Package will come with a guitar pick as well.

You can preview all the tracks at the site below, as well as download "black" in both audio and video.

Track list takes from all of their CD's. They also perform "hurt" from NIN in tribute to Johnny Cash.

http://www.sevendust.com/ssdw/

Check it out :D

Ergyu 04-22-04 07:42 PM

I think most people do know who Sevendust is. They were one of the more popular Numetal bands during the later 90s. In any case, I'd like to hear the Hurt cover.

db27 04-22-04 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Ergyu
I think most people do know who Sevendust is. They were one of the more popular Numetal bands during the later 90s. In any case, I'd like to hear the Hurt cover.
you can sample it on the site, Clint sings, not Lajon and it sounds decent.

As far as people knowing them or not, they don't get radio or MTV support like some of the bands they toured with in the past.

Bands that have opened for Sevendust generally go on to huge things like Staind, Godsmack, Nickelback etc... However, I'm content that 7dust hasn't hit huge cuz they kick all those bands in the ass, and I can see em live at tiny venues.

Just saw them for the 9th time last week in NH, they are without question the best live band on the planet imo. Been to like 150 shows (80 or so artists) and nobody comes close. Though the small venues certainly help with the intamacy.

and although I suppose they must be listed in the numetal category, they are so much more cuz of the amazing R&B style vocals that Lajon delivers, and with him a Clint singling harmonies which you don't often find in numetal.

SeekOnce 04-22-04 09:43 PM

Funny, just a couple days ago, I watched a clip of them playing "Broken Down" on Carson Daly's Last Call. Heard of Sevendust, but never really checked out their music before then. But that song, man, good stuff.

Then I went to their site and downloaded "Black" acoustic and have been playing it constantly ever since.

My first Sevendust disc come May 4th and it's acoustic. :lol:

Ergyu 04-22-04 10:14 PM

I never knew too much about them, but I remember reading something about them not getting big because of constant turmoil within the band, or dealing with drug problems of certain members or something? By now I would expect them to be just as big as Staind or Godsmack. I had always heard positive things about them though.

db27 04-22-04 10:27 PM

Originally posted by SeekOnce
Funny, just a couple days ago, I watched a clip of them playing "Broken Down" on Carson Daly's Last Call. Heard of Sevendust, but never really checked out their music before then. But that song, man, good stuff.

Then I went to their site and downloaded "Black" acoustic and have been playing it constantly ever since.

My first Sevendust disc come May 4th and it's acoustic. :lol:

great!

"Home" is the best album of theirs in my opinion, if you like what you hear on the acoustic one then surely check that out.

also, get ahold of a live version of "black" that isn't acoustic, it's sick! they typically open with that song live because it just gets the house exploding with energy!

db27 04-22-04 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Ergyu
I never knew too much about them, but I remember reading something about them not getting big because of constant turmoil within the band, or dealing with drug problems of certain members or something? By now I would expect them to be just as big as Staind or Godsmack. I had always heard positive things about them though.
odd, they are a very tight band. i've never heard more than the usual band issues from them.

last year they took some time off cuz Lajons brother Reginald was murdered :(

they do however have a fond admiration for pot, I've twice had the oppurtunity to partake in that with them, however it's not my bag so I opted out.

for this album, they were very proud that they were sober/clean for its entire production start to finish.

aside from "broken down" and a couple scattered tracks they just don't have that radio appeal that Staind and Godsmack have. "angels son" which was written in tribute to Lynn Strait formerly of Snot was the biggest "hit" they ever had and it wasn't (at the time) on one of their CDs. However they later re-recorded an electric version and released it on 'Animosity'

but like I said in the previous post, because they don't have that huge radio/mtv following me and my fellow dust fans get tons of intimate shows a year and that's okay by me :D

Toka 04-23-04 12:48 PM

Have the CD right here, its pretty good....Sevendust fans will be thrilled.

db27 04-24-04 08:18 PM

Originally posted by Toka
Have the CD right here, its pretty good....Sevendust fans will be thrilled.

<<<<<---jealous!

db27 05-04-04 02:13 PM

fantastic

just picked this up for $14.99 at Best Buy

let me say first off that as a huge 7dust fan I'm really amped with this release, I've heard the whole CD but haven't viewed the DVD yet. Can't wait :)

anyway the CD is just f'n great, I'm surprised at how well the music translates in the acoustic format. They messed around with the structure of a few of the songs to make them work better and it's top-notch.

I really enjoy the way that Lajon doesn't hold back vocally like some do in acoustic events, nor does Morgan shy away from his fullsize drumkit. This is brutal heavy acoustic goodness :D

The cover of Johnny Cash's version of "hurt" is amazing, then followed up by "angels son" in tribute to LJ's brother Reginald (who was murdered just over a year ago) and to Lynn Strait the late lead singer of the band Snot. Very moving couple of tracks.

The CD finishes up nicely with 4 tracks from the original self-titled album. "black" "bitch" "prayer" and "to close to hate" these are all sick as hell, with the only dissappointment being that "bitch" is only 2 minutes long (much shorter than usual.

Packaging is cool, it's a bigger box with the CD and DVD inside of a jewel case on the inside of the box along with the guitar pick and postcards.

pick it up!

Tony Dvdfan 05-04-04 09:43 PM

I was debating picking this up tonight, loved all their other cds and would really want to see the dvd. I waited though, because didnt know if the acoustic would be good.

I'm gonna go back and grab it tomorrow, wanted to see what others thought of it first.

db27 05-04-04 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
I was debating picking this up tonight, loved all their other cds and would really want to see the dvd. I waited though, because didnt know if the acoustic would be good.

I'm gonna go back and grab it tomorrow, wanted to see what others thought of it first.

I would be surprised if anyone who liked there other CD's didn't enjoy this one.

SomeVoices 05-06-04 12:53 PM

Watching it right now, and this is a great CD/DVD! I do kind of wonder why they changed the lyrics at the end of Hurt, I thought those were the most powerful of the song.

bjh_18 05-22-04 11:34 PM

I just picked this up, and all I can say is that this is one amazing acoustic set. Sevendust has been one of my favorite bands for a number of years now, and this cd & dvd is awesome. I've never heard such heavy acoustic music as they play on the last few songs, its really sweet. I like the whole thing, but I really like the acoustic takes on Seasons, Disgrace, Black, and Bitch, not to mention that the bonus studio acoustic of Broken Down is incredible. Great set.