DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   What happened to Oasis (i.e., why do they suck now)? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/358530-what-happened-oasis-i-e-why-do-they-suck-now.html)

DVD Josh 04-14-04 04:26 PM

What happened to Oasis (i.e., why do they suck now)?

I freely admit this may just be my own opinion, but I picked up used copies of Oasis' more recent albums (Heathen Chemistry and Standing...Giants). They suck. I'm not saying that they are no good compared to their earlier work, I'm saying they suck in general.

These guys had a great run of albums from Definitely Maybe to Morning Glory to Be Here Now. Even The Masterplan was a good album. But these recent ones, IMHO, are terrible.

wendersfan 04-14-04 04:43 PM

Let's see. Off the top of my head - ego, cocaine, the hazards of touring, the complacency of fame, cocaine, Noel and Liam kicking everyone else out of the band, cocaine, laziness, and cocaine.

I heard this interview with Noel several years ago, while they were touring in support of Be Here Now (which sucks too, IMO). He said that he hadn't written a song in almost a year, and needed to start soon to get material together for their next album. Now, I don't know if any of you are songwriters or not, but if you are you understand that a real songwriter can't help but write new songs, all the time. Most might suck, but it's almost like eating and breathing - you pick up a guitar, and 1/2 hour later the skeleton of a song is done. To me, that's the main problem. Gallagher was either unwilling or incapable of writing songs that matched his earlier output.

cheapskate 04-14-04 05:17 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan
Let's see. cocaine, cocaine, cocaine, and cocaine.
:thumbsup:

I have everything except their last album - Heathen Chemistry?

I think it's common knowledge by now that every album from Be Here Now onwards is progressively worse. What makes it worse is that before each album release, Noel will tell the media about how DIFFERENT it's going to be; what a revolution the new album is; it's the best thing he's written in YEARS etc...etc...

BOLLOCKS!

I get the feeling they're going to play out the rest of their career as a great LIVE band playing all their old favorites. I saw them during the Giants tour and the old songs are by far the best ones...

Still... an incredible band with several brilliant albums! :D

Achtung 04-16-04 03:46 PM

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the drugs, as I would the arrogance that came from their metoric rise to fame, especially in the UK. From what I've heard, Liam was so drugged up during the recording of the Morning Glory album that he can't even remember recording any of it. And that is generally considered to be their masterpiece. But the albums made since they cleaned up (relatively speaking) are not quite as good, probably because the band feels like they can throw out any old crap on their albums and it will sell.

I didn't care a lot for Standing..., but I thought Heathen Chemistry was pretty good overall. Both albums had some really good tunes though, and it just seems like they didn't care a lot about promoting either one in the US. The albums still sold like hotcakes in the UK and most other countries, so they'll probably go along doing it like this for a while.

Besides, if they wanted to be popular in the US again, they'd have to shave their heads, turn the distortion up to 11, and whine/rap about how much life sucks. Not quite their style.

cungar 04-16-04 03:50 PM

Yeah but there's a difference between being young, angry fired up and drugged up and being older, agitated, cranky and drugged out.

See Pete Townshend.

sebastianv50 04-16-04 10:00 PM

They decided to continue releasing albums and never change their style at all, and then to act like they are the best band ever.

Michael Corvin 04-18-04 09:48 PM

oh man, talk about thread title calling for a thread-crap. Let's leave it at that.

birdseye 04-18-04 10:32 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
oh man, talk about thread title calling for a thread-crap. Let's leave it at that.
Yeah, so if I say that Oasis are my favorite band and I thought their last two albums were great (though not as good as the first 3), is this a threadcrap? ;)

Seriously though, Oasis are still huge in Europe, especially Britain. They're headlining Glastonbury this summer with Paul McCartney and Muse. Standing... was a bit of a different album because it was mostly written when Noel was quitting cocaine (Gas Panic is a good example). Heathen Chemistry I don't think was as good as people were expecting, but it still produced 4 top 5 singles in the UK (including a No. 1). I hope their album coming out later this year is better than the last two though

Also, Noel and Liam are both in their 30's now and have kids, so that might make a difference in the type of songs they write. Like Achtung said above, they're never going to become popular again in the US because they receive no promotion whatsoever from their US record label and won't become a nu-metal band. They still have very loyal fan bases throughout the country and will keep touring the US whenever they release an album.

antennaball 05-11-04 07:08 PM

Interesting news...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ain_oasis_dc_1

LONDON (Reuters) - The son of ex-Beatle Ringo Starr (news) will drum for the British band Oasis at this year's Glastonbury Festival, says guitarist Noel Gallagher (news).

AFP/DPA/File Photo

Gallagher said Zac Starkey was already rehearsing for the three-day mix of mud, music and mayhem in June -- Britain's biggest open-air music event.

"We're not doing ourselves any favors because Zac's first gig will be to 150,000 people," Gallagher told BBC radio's "6 Music News."

"We've known Zac for a while and we asked him if he'd play on a few songs and he said 'yeah,' and he has done and it's been absolutely fantastic," he said.

A spokesman for the band confirmed the move, but declined to comment further.

The band sacked long-term drummer Alan White in January amid rumors they felt he lacked commitment. Gallagher said Starkey would not become a permanent member of the band, which has been widely compared to The Beatles.

Gallagher said the fact that Starkey was not from the style-conscious band's home town of Manchester should not be an obstacle. "He's a good boy. He's got a good haircut... Good shoes, which is important."

Glastonbury was first staged in 1970, when 1,500 hippies paid one pound each to hear a handful of bands including Marc Bolan (news) and T-Rex.

Flashback 05-12-04 06:47 AM

I saw Zac Starkey play with the Who a few years ago...I really liked his playing a lot.

As for Oasis I had seen them a couple of times...they were really good in the beginning (I think it was the second albums tour). I had also seen them for the Standing tour. It was definitely not the same band I had seen earlier (actually they had some different members too)...more of going throught the motions if anything.

BDB 05-12-04 08:06 AM

oasis already rejected that story with a typical oasis response

LIAM GALLAGHER 'SUPERGROUP' REPORTS DENIED

LIAM GALLAGHER will NOT be forming a supergroup with JOHN SQUIRE, it has emerged.

Reports in The Sun newspaper over the weekend suggested that the Oasis singer was teaming up with the former Stone Roses guitarist and Dhani Harrison, son of late Beatle George Harrison.

However, this morning (May 4), a spokesperson for Gallagher vehemently denied the rumours in a statement.

It read: "The welcome heat of Sunday's weather in London must have got to the editorial staff at The Sun newspaper, so much so that they dreamed up a bizarre story about Liam Gallagher forming a supergroup with John Squire."

"Liam is already in a supergroup called Oasis, and far from taking a break in London, as The Sun story would have us believe, he is busy and recording and mixing the next Oasis album, due for release later this year."

BDB 05-12-04 08:07 AM

and the sun retaliate with the following

NOEL GALLAGHER and IAN BROWN have collaborated on a track for the former STONE ROSES vocalist's new album.

According to The Sun newspaper, the pair met by chance at the Electric Cinema in London’s Notting Hill.

"We got talking about music and agreed we should do something," explained Brown .

He added: "Noel sent me some music he’d done and I recorded a vocal. The result is brilliant, I’m really excited. I hope it will be a single."

The news comes after denials from the Oasis camp that Liam was to form a supergroup with ex-Roses guitarist John Squire. As previously reported on NME.COM, the band claim the story was "dreamed up" by editorial staff at The Sun.

Oasis are currently working in the studio on the follow-up to ’Heathen Chemistry’, which is due for release later this year.

Brown’s new album is expected in August or September.