Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Anyone like The Boredoms?

Old 04-12-04, 05:44 PM
Banned

Anyone like The Boredoms?

Just listened to Pop Tatari after a long time. Yoshimi can really belt it. Anyone else like this avant-garde oddity?
Old 04-12-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I really love Vision Creation Newsun and Super Ae. Wotta band.
Old 04-13-04, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Boredoms stomp ass. Yoshimi is the only woman in the world who can sing like Bessie Smith while playing a drumkit like it's being kicked down a flight of stairs while wearing only a bra. If you really like Pop Tatari, it's worth it to seek out the original Japanese version, as the version on Reprise is a re-mix. Their soundtrack for Ichi the Killer is great, too.
Old 04-13-04, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Luther Heggs
The Boredoms stomp ass. Yoshimi is the only woman in the world who can sing like Bessie Smith while playing a drumkit like it's being kicked down a flight of stairs while wearing only a bra. If you really like Pop Tatari, it's worth it to seek out the original Japanese version, as the version on Reprise is a re-mix. Their soundtrack for Ichi the Killer is great, too.
Is that the only difference between the two Tatari's, the one song?
Old 04-13-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rivero
Is that the only difference between the two Tatari's, the one song?
Sorry, I should have worded that better. The 1992 WEA Japan release and the 1993 Reprise US release of Pop Tatari are very different listening experiences. I'll try to go into detail...

'92 WEA Japan version tracklist:
1. Noise Ramones
2. Nice B-O-R-E Guy & Boyoyo Touch
3. Molecicco
4. I am Cola
5. Telehorse Uma
6. Boredom with God on Noise (Boretafari)
7. Bo-Go-Bompoo
8. Heeba
9. Cheeba
10. Which Dooyoo Like?
11. Poy (Mockin' Fuzz 1)
12. Hoy
13. Bore Now Bore
14. Hey Bore Hey
15. Cory & the Mandara Suicide Pyramid Action or Gas Satori
16. TV Ramones[real similar to "Noise Ramones"]
17. Okinawa Rasta Beef (Mockin' Fuzz 2)
18. Greatborefull Dead

'93 Reprise version tracklist:
1. Noise Ramones
2. Nice B.O.R.E. Guy & Boyoyo Touch
3. Hey Bore Hey[Cuts off in mid riff]
4. Bogo [Bo-Go-Bompoo retitled]REMIXED
5. Bore Now Bore
6. Okinawa Rasta Beef (Mockin' Fuzz 2)
7. Which Dooyoo Like?
8. Molecicco REMIXED
9. Telehorse Uma REMIXED
10. Hoy
11. Bocabola ["I am Cola" retitled, missing almost all of the opening riff] REMIXED
12. Heeba
13. Poy (Mockin' Fuzz 1) REMIXED
14. Bod ["Boredom with God on Noise (Boretafari)" retitled]
15. Cheeba
16. Pop Tatari [index of all of the CDs tracks, includes part of "Greatborefull Dead"]
17. Cory & the Mandara Suicide Pyramid Action or Gas Satori

So songs that were originally supposed to segue don't anymore, some songs are shortened for no good reason, titles are mucked with, and one track is gone, replaced by another(no big loss there). The big difference is in the mix. The tracks that were remixed for the domestic release sound heavier; the bass and drums are much higher in the mix than on the original. Unfortunately, the guitar is mixed lower and coupled with some riffs being shortened, Yamamoto's contribution to their sound seems slighted by the domestic CD. I can't say that one version sounds better than the other (except for the songs that are edited, which changes their mood, IMO). When Jim O'Rourke reviewed Chocolate Synthesizer in Your Flesh magazine, he said there was "more air" in the original mix of Pop Tatari. Before it was released, Eye said in Option magazine that the album would be getting an "Americanized" re-mix, so I assume all of this was done with the band's consent. Comfort carries the original version for $29, so I guess it's still in print. Anyway, my point being that if you love the album, it's worthwhile to hear both versions.
Old 04-14-04, 02:46 AM
Banned by request

The Boredoms are one of my all-time favorite bands. I have just about everything they've recorded, along with stuff by Hanatarash, OOIOO, Eye's solo endeavors, Omoide Hatoba, etc. etc. etc.

I saw the Vooredoms live at All Tomorrow's Parties at UCLA. Incredible.
Old 04-14-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool band, and their work on the Ichi soundtrack was great too. Eye's work with John Zorn's Naked City is worth checking out too.
Old 04-14-04, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which songs did they do in Ichi?
Old 04-14-04, 11:53 PM
Banned by request

They did all the music for Ichi The Killer.

That's how I got into Miike. I heard they did the music for Ichi, so I went and saw it. Now I'm as big of a Miike fan as I am a Boredoms fan.
Old 04-14-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mondo Kane
Which songs did they do in Ichi?
IIRC, all of them. They're credited as "Karera Musication," but it's Yamamoto, Yoshimi P-We, Hilah, and ATR of the Boredoms (along with an extra synth and percussionists) doing the music with Eye mixing and Yoshimi and Yamamoto co-producing. According to Takashi Miike's DVD commentary, he asked Yamamoto to record some music for Ichi before he even started shooting. Yamamoto wrote about thirty "songs" using the Ichi manga as an inspiration. The movie was edited to sync with the pre-existing music in many scenes, which is part of why the movie burns holes in your brain. The soundtrack CD is only 38 min. long, though and it doesn't have some of the best cues as they were heard in the movie. The CD is sequenced to flow more like a album than a soundtrack; the music heard when you first see Kakihara blow smoke out his cheeks isn't on the CD until track 7. It'd be nice to see an expanded release of this someday.
Old 04-15-04, 06:05 PM
Banned

IIRC, all of them. They're credited as "Karera Musication," but it's Yamamoto, Yoshimi P-We, Hilah, and ATR of the Boredoms (along with an extra synth and percussionists) doing the music with Eye mixing and Yoshimi and Yamamoto co-producing.
Damn, can't believe this slipped past my radar.
Old 04-15-04, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The movie was edited to sync with the pre-existing music in many scenes, which is part of why the movie burns holes in your brain
Yeah, the opening of the film is a good example of this. Very cool.