DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Artists In Need of Remastered Album Releases (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/357296-artists-need-remastered-album-releases.html)

Hollowgen 04-07-04 04:25 PM

Artists In Need of Remastered Album Releases

as i'm listening to my vinyl collection lately, i'm wondering why so many of my LPs sound better than the shoddy CD releases. a whole slew of super important classic rock artists have gotten the remastered treatment for their albums. with SACD being the popular + excellent format choice.

who are some important artists of the pre-90's that are in dire need of some remastered/reissued releases a la dylan/stones albums?

i think:

the beatles (obviously, but probably never, right?)
talking heads
bruce springsteen
devo
heart
new york dolls
supertramp
styx
tom waits

MJKTool 04-07-04 04:47 PM

Metallica - ...and Justice For All

nodeerforamonth 04-07-04 05:15 PM

Originally posted by MJKTool
Metallica - ...and Justice For All
No. It needs to be reMIXed. Not remastered (though that would happen anyway if it was remixed).

db27 04-07-04 06:25 PM

another vote for the reMIXing of Justice, specifically due to the complete LACK of bass.

spinning plates 04-07-04 06:42 PM

definately the beatles. no doubt about it. i hate how certain instruments can only be heard on either the left or right speaker. practially kills sgt peppers. especially during 'being for the benefit of mr. kite!' imho.

Rogue588 04-07-04 07:03 PM

off the top of my head [and of interest to me]

Prince's catalog up 'til '91's Symbol Album.

Van Halen's 5150 & OU812.

fallow 04-07-04 07:53 PM

Were the Talking Heads songs tweaked for the Once in a Lifetime box-set? Besides, I own most of their albums and don't really have a problem with any of the mixing, especially Brian Eno's work.

Honestly, I'm not that interested in remixing. I can think of a couple albums that I want to see re-issued, but that's completely different.

Hollowgen 04-08-04 12:49 AM

Originally posted by fallow
Were the Talking Heads songs tweaked for the Once in a Lifetime box-set? Besides, I own most of their albums and don't really have a problem with any of the mixing, especially Brian Eno's work.

Honestly, I'm not that interested in remixing. I can think of a couple albums that I want to see re-issued, but that's completely different.

yeah, the tracks were remastered for the box set. and they sound great. wondering why the albums haven't been reissued yet. also, i'm talkin' about remastering, not remixing.

johnbook 04-08-04 12:58 AM

All Van Halen catalog featuring Sammy Hagar

Everything by Ratt

Dio - Holy Diver
The Last In Line
Sacred Heart
Dream Evil

Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry

Quiet Riot - Condition Critical

Boston - Boston
Don't Look Back
Third Stage

ZZ Top - Eliminator
Afterburner

Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin

Bryan Adams - You Want It, You Got It
Cuts Like A Knife
Reckless
Into The Fire

Joe Walsh - The Confessor
Ordinary Average Guy

Stryper - To Hell With The Devil
In God We Trust
Against The Law

Foreigner - Agent Provocateur
Inside Information

Billy Idol - Whiplash Smile

fallow 04-08-04 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Hollowgen
wondering why the albums haven't been reissued yet. also, i'm talkin' about remastering, not remixing.
D'oh, I meant remastering. And I don't think the albums have been reissued yet because they haven't gone out of print.

Brain Stew 04-08-04 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Hollowgen
yeah, the tracks were remastered for the box set. and they sound great. wondering why the albums haven't been reissued yet. also, i'm talkin' about remastering, not remixing.
According to Talking-Heads.net's Messageboard, Chris Frantz posted that Rhino will reissue their albums in a manner similar to The Ramones, which is single disc remastering with bonus tracks in deluxe packaging. The date for release however is unknown.

repoman 04-08-04 10:53 AM

This could be a long list.

The enitire SST back catalog- primarily all the Black Flag, Huskur Du, Minutemen releases.

Smiths- entire back catalog

Stooges- Stooges, Fun House and Raw Power. Raw Power was remixed by Iggy in the last few years but we need the original classic Bowie mix remastered

Cure- coming supposedly on Rhino. I am only interested in LP's up to Disintegration but some may wish for the entire back catalog.

I second the New York Dolls.

Siouxsie & the Banshees- The whole catalog probably needs it including the two singles collections. I would like to see The Scream and Kalediscope at a minimum.

Public Image Limited- First and Second Edition. I believe the Plastic box set was remastered but the indiv LP's have never been to my knowledge.

I will think of more. An early list.

Hollowgen 04-08-04 12:45 PM

Originally posted by repoman
Raw Power was remixed by Iggy in the last few years but we need the original classic Bowie mix remastered

ugh, i can't agree more. raw power sounds god awful in it's remix. i know that's probably what iggy was going for, but it really does sound like my speakers are going to explode whenever i put that album on-- even on low volume.

Dubya 04-08-04 01:30 PM

Mostly what has been said already,
The Beatles
Springsteen
The Stooges
U2's 80's albums
Prince

Hiro11 04-08-04 01:38 PM

I would kill to hear some good remastered Scratch Perry. The guy basically invented Ska, Dub and Reggae and was a very inventive engineer. Unfortunately, all of his stuff sounds pretty awful at this point.

Scorpio 04-08-04 04:19 PM

Siouxsie has been trying to get Geffen to remaster the Banshees catalogue. But as it is, some of her albums are not even available anymore in America. -ohbfrank-

grunter 04-08-04 04:56 PM

I don't mind the remastering so much. It's the re-issuing in cardboard sleeves that pisses me off.

If you're going to go to the trouble of remastering the sound, at least re-issue the album in a standard jewel case. Not those cheap, flimsy digipack things.

See the remastered Dylan and Grateful Dead catalogs.

johnbook 04-08-04 11:13 PM

Originally posted by grunter
I don't mind the remastering so much. It's the re-issuing in cardboard sleeves that pisses me off.

If you're going to go to the trouble of remastering the sound, at least re-issue the album in a standard jewel case. Not those cheap, flimsy digipack things.

See the remastered Dylan and Grateful Dead catalogs.

AC/DC Remasters are in the digipack packages, i didn't care for them at first but since i purchased my 1008 wall unit cd holder they store better on the shelf, so i kinda like them now, my White Zombie/Rob Zombie greatest hits cd set is in one also...

Supermallet 04-08-04 11:51 PM

Have to disagree with the call for the Bowie mix of Raw Power to be remastered. I think that's one record that's better dead and buried. The Iggy remix improves on it in every possible way.

Another vote for Prince.

Sonic Youth have announced they're remastering their catalogue. It has already started with Dirty, but Thurston said they're doing all of them.

As for Fun House, Rhino Handmade released The Complete Funhouse Sessions, which is exactly what it sounds like, all remastered. The last takes of each song are the final ones found on the album. So, if you get that (good luck, it's out of print and was already absurdly expensive in its original issue), you can rip the final takes and burn a remastered Fun House. I had the good luck of being able to get one at Amoeba records.

Burnt Alive 04-09-04 12:19 AM

The first few Pogues albums need to be remastered badly. The sound quailty is terrible, and I believe they've been out of print for quite a while, too.
There's a ton of non-album tracks that could be thrown on them as well (especially the Poguetry In Motion EP), but all of the Pogues albums have great closing tracks....I couldn't imagine Rum, Sodomy & The Lash closing with anything other than "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda".

Scorpio 04-09-04 02:57 AM

I've never took note of the quality of the first few Pogues' albums and I've listened to them countless times. Must have been the whisky!

InnocentBlood 04-09-04 08:21 AM

definite YES!!! for the Metallica & Prince CDs plus the GN'R ones too.

Brain Stew 04-09-04 09:58 AM

I was listening to some Minor Threat while reading this thread and apparently Dischord started remastering most of the label's albums last year and amongst them was Minor Threat's Complete Discography.

Here's the picture of the album cover on the site:
http://www.dischord.com/images/040.jpg

I bought Complete Discography ( the red cover version which is supposedly unmastered) last summer and have never seen the blue version. Has anyone seen or better yet heard it? $12 would be worth it again if the new version sounded better.

glasschicken 04-09-04 01:07 PM

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
REM's IRS days and early Warner Brothers (Green, Out of Time.)

FrozenMetalHead 04-09-04 03:18 PM

More votes for Beatles, REM's IRS and Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry