Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

new DESCENDENTS today!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

new DESCENDENTS today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-04, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new DESCENDENTS today!

anyone else picking this up?

Cool To Be You

Talking
Nothing With You
She Don't Care
'Merican
Dog And Pony Show
Blast Off
Dreams
Cool To Be You
Maddie
Mass Nerder
One More Day
Tack
Anchor Grill
Dry Spell
Old 03-23-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may. I heard it wasn't as good as the last one, but I've been a fan for almost 17 years now, so I'll probably pick it up if I can get a good price on it.
Old 03-23-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll have to hear it first, but am curious.

NO ALL!!!!
Old 03-24-04, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I was never a fan of any of their stuff from the 90s. I'll give this a try, though.
Old 03-24-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got it. Heard 2/3rd of it. (been busy).

CON: The song "'merican". Man, they are jumping the shark by getting political. Just goes to show that all musicians are nuts as far as I'm concerned. This is the typical whiney "I'm a stupid American" song with the "blame America" first attitude. Hey, don't blame ME for slavery. That was 200 freakin' years ago. I'm only 37. I wasn't around then! I'd expect this mindless uneducated-while-pretending-to-be-educated crap from Rage Against The Machine or NOFX, but not the Descendents.

CON: Karl Alverez seems to be having problems. Many of these songs are a far cry away from "Pep Talk" or "Coolidge". They have a way more "feel sorry for myself" and defeatest attitude popping up in these songs (like in "Cool To Be You").

PRO: The song "Mass Nerder". A classic Descendents song glorifying the fact that they have "no tattoos" or "goutees". This is going to piss off 99% of their audience though (ha ha). The chorus is great saying how they'll "kick their ass in class" (with their minds by getting good grades) and at the end of the song they break into the Germs' "We Must Bleed", changing the lyric to "We must read". Great stuff!

I'm not one to focus on lyrics too much, but these CONS really got to me. They used to be such a positive fun geek band, and now they sound like a bunch of whiney uneducated crybabies. (note I said they "sound like", not "are")

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 03-24-04 at 11:43 AM.