DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   How to sell my CDs? [merged] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/352650-how-sell-my-cds-%5Bmerged%5D.html)

illennium 03-13-04 07:00 PM

How to sell my CDs?

I have about 100-150 older CDs that I don't listen to anymore (or never did). Many are mainstream--Norah Jones, Indigo Girls, Goo Goo Dolls, R.E.M., Rusted Root. Some are just crappy--Blue Mountain, The Badlees, Reel Big Fish. All have cases with liner notes, although about half were bought used and so might not be in great condition. Any advice for how to sell them? I've sold a lot of individual CDs on half.com for very good prices, but I've never sold a bundle. Is it worth it to sell them all together? I'm not in a hurry--I'm just paring down my collection and would like to get some decent money for these CDs. Should I put them all up on EBay with a fairly high reserve? I'm worried that no one will want the whole lot. Or should I take them to a store for store credit/cash? Any advice is appreciated.

movieking 03-13-04 07:26 PM

I am in pretty much the same situation, and trust me, ebay is not the answer (it wasn't for me anyway). If you do a search for CD lot, you will see what previous auctions if CD lots were sold for, and generally, they go for well under a buck a CD (depending on the CDs of course). Don't forget that shipping costs a lot, if you send with the cases.

I think that I am going to try to get rid of mine locally in used stores, wanted groups, etc.

If anyone else has any ideas, let me know!

Phuzbox 03-13-04 07:36 PM

Have a garage sale :)

POWERBOMB 03-13-04 08:10 PM

There is no good way, but try Half.com or selling them to local shops. There are a few companies that buy CD's and DVD's so you might want to try there although you won't get much for them. I've sold some cd's and only got 10 cents a piece for them.

illennium 03-13-04 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Phuzbox
Have a garage sale :)
I live in a high-rise in NYC, so that won't work. Thanks though.

DeanoBKN 03-13-04 10:09 PM

Is there a Coconuts or FYE in your area? They buy back cd's and dvd's, and most of the time they give pretty decent prices on them. That's where I always go to dump some of my old stuff at.

illennium 03-13-04 10:14 PM

Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas
Is there a Coconuts or FYE in your area? They buy back cd's and dvd's, and most of the time they give pretty decent prices on them. That's where I always go to dump some of my old stuff at.
Yeah, I'm going to take a few CDs there tomorrow to see what they'll give me. Thanks for the suggestion.

johnbook 03-14-04 02:10 AM

Re: How to sell my CDs?

Originally posted by illennium
I have about 100-150 older CDs that I don't listen to anymore (or never did). . All have cases with liner notes, although about half were bought used and so might not be in great condition. Any advice for how to sell them? I'm not in a hurry-- Any advice is appreciated.
I've always had great luck with "Half.com" just be honest with the condition and post it at the lowest price for that cd's condition, perfect way since your not in a hurry...

Snowmaker 03-14-04 08:41 AM

Well, if you don't want them, what makes you think someone else will? :D

Hollowgen 03-14-04 02:11 PM

honestly, if you just want to get rid of them, but get a little $$ for them, i think the best way is to sell them as a lot on ebay. that's what i did for about 20 cds that i had which were too crappy or less-than-perfect that i couldn't trade in. otherwise, i use spun.com almost all the time to trade in shoddy stuff or music i dislike that's in good condition.

sararekuforever 03-14-04 03:14 PM

why doesn't he just post the list here and give us a chance to buy selected titles at good prices? 150 CD's at around $4 each 500 - 600...if he has good titles they might be worth $3 or $4, some could be $1 if they're not really good or anything...he could just ship them flat rate but what do i know right now i am recovering from an accident and need to ship some of my own items

funkyryno 03-14-04 03:34 PM

I'd use half.com if I wasn't in a hurry to get rid of them, but visiting the post office a few times a week could get tedious.

illennium 03-14-04 03:59 PM

Originally posted by sararekuforever
why doesn't he just post the list here and give us a chance to buy selected titles at good prices?
Is this allowed? I would love to do that but don't want to piss off the mods.

Copenhagen 03-14-04 04:01 PM

Originally posted by illennium
Is this allowed? I would love to do that but don't want to piss off the mods.
I thought this would be allowed under the premium membership once it rolls out.

johnbook 03-14-04 04:08 PM

Originally posted by funkyryno
I'd use half.com if I wasn't in a hurry to get rid of them, but visiting the post office a few times a week could get tedious.
One cd ships for $1.06 first class with the jewel case, so just package the cd and place three .37 cent first class stamps on it and and if you don't have a stamper that indicates first class just write it on the outside of the bubble envelope and leave at your mailbox as outgoing mail, i know three stamps equal $1.11 but for the extra nickel it's worth not going to the post office, well i've had great success doing it this way...And i buy my envelopes at stores like office max you can get 6 cd bubble envelopes for like $3.00, and also when i buy cd's i keep the envelopes they were shipped in and reuse them...

sararekuforever 03-14-04 04:20 PM

Maybe you could ask the mods, special permission for this time? I'm sure everyone could find something they like.

movieking 03-14-04 06:31 PM

I took about 200 of my CDs to a used CD store today, and they took 37 and gave me $140 (Canadian, of course, since I am in Canada), but I got $160 trade in value, which I used to get Band of Brothers and Six Feet Under on DVD.

I noticed that pretty much everything that they took was a greatest hits collection from a rock artist (aside from some local stuff and some other offbeat stuff). That means that I have over 150 left to get rid of (a lot of country CDs).

I know that we can trade/sell DVDs here on DVDTalk (done it many many times over), so if someone sets it up in the music forum, sign me up.

Tony Dvdfan 03-14-04 09:58 PM

Doesnt the dvd exchange forum allow for cds as well? I thought i saw cds allowed in there in addition to dvds, just not allowed to post games in there.

Meatpants 03-15-04 03:13 PM

If your cds are in good shape, you can sell them all at http://www.secondspin.com. You get to see what they pay for each cd up front, add them to your order, then ship them off and they'll send you a check or give you store credit. A few years ago I dumped about 200 CDs on them and got around $5 for each.

IIRC, any cds that are too scratched for them to sell they send back to you.

deadlax 03-15-04 09:02 PM

secondspin.com is GARBAGE! i sold about 100 cds to them, and then made another order for 40 (that I couldn't part with on day 1.) They proceeded to REJECT every cd in the second order because they thought I was trying to get scratched cds past them. I hate them and tell everyone to RUN RUN RUN far from secondspin.com

SNKapcom 03-15-04 09:20 PM

Hey, if you happen to have any CDs off my want list ( http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection...ype=C#wishlist ) then give me an email and maybe we can work osmething out.

Meatpants 03-16-04 08:38 AM

Originally posted by deadlax
secondspin.com is GARBAGE! i sold about 100 cds to them, and then made another order for 40 (that I couldn't part with on day 1.) They proceeded to REJECT every cd in the second order because they thought I was trying to get scratched cds past them. I hate them and tell everyone to RUN RUN RUN far from secondspin.com
OK.

My friends and I have both sold/shopped there for years w/out problem. As far as rejecting scratched CDs go, the market for used CDs has changed a lot the last few years, so no store is going to bother buying your used stuff if they're not in near-pristine condition.

Yancey 05-31-04 09:56 AM

Hey benedict, I'm not sure if this is cool or not so I wanted to ask: I'm selling my entire CD collection, and I was wondering if I could post a list of my CDs for sale on a thread here and have members email me. Would that be okay or no? Thanks.

benedict 06-06-04 04:36 PM

Originally posted by sararekuforever
Maybe you could ask the mods, special permission for this time? I'm sure everyone could find something they like.

Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
Doesnt the dvd exchange forum allow for cds as well? I thought i saw cds allowed in there in addition to dvds, just not allowed to post games in there.

Originally posted by Yancey
Hey benedict, I'm not sure if this is cool or not so I wanted to ask: I'm selling my entire CD collection, and I was wondering if I could post a list of my CDs for sale on a thread here and have members email me. Would that be okay or no? Thanks.
I'm fairly certain that Geoff's current ruling is that anything posted by members as being "for sale" via a DVDTalk forum thread either has to show a price or be for trade/exchange i.e. no "auctions". Additionally, he has indicated that there cannot be a free-for-all i.e. only certain kind of goods can be traded.

Self-evidently there is the DVD Exchange Forum {i've not looked too closely but I don't think CDs are traded there as a rule] and there is a (somewhat moribund) Book Talk one-and-only thread for a similar purpose.

I'd thought we already had a CD sale/trade thread somewhere hereabouts but I was unable to locate it.... so maybe I misremembered.

Geoff may wish to clarify/amend this at a later date, so let's just say that if people post their lists and prices/trades here then we can see how it goes.

This said, I'd ask that you read through the relevant sections of the <A HREF="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=178165" target="_blank">DVD Exchange rules</a> and note to be very careful how you go about things....

.... although temporarily facilitating the publicising of peoples lists I think that the nitty gritty needs to be kept "off board" and very much "at your own risk" i.e. you must be satisfied that all of your personal trading arrangements are sufficiently robust.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk

pdutta2000 10-16-05 04:28 PM

Selling 400+ cds?

What is the best place to get rid of my brother's cd collection? I have scouted out some local used cd places, but the prices have been so bad that I don't think it's worth my time. Does anyone have any recommendations on internet based programs? I've seen some posts on Craigslist where they take all your CDs and give you a new iPod with the music on it in exchange. Sounds too good to be true....but then again I don't want to miss out on a deal. Thanks.

PS - I did a search but only saw posts for DVD collections so I figured I'd post. Thanks again.